CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

need help with 954 flapper mod

Old 03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb need help with 954 flapper mod

I have a 2002 cbr 954 with 14k miles on it and recently i head about a "flapper mod". With this mod you can gain power in the low but mostly mid range and you can have a slight noise reduction and smoother shifting. Even so, i really need help with a "HOW TO" about this mod. Any help is appreciated.

-SCOTT-
USN
P-3 IFT

here are some links to the "torn apart" bike.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr1.jpg

Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 AM

Remove tank or prop tank up.
Remove air box cover
Remove filter
Those flaps on the top side near the "snorkels"
Prop them open or remove them.
Disconnect cables

In photobucket you can just get them embedded image forum code and copy and paste that.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by burritoeatinmex
I have a 2002 cbr 954 with 14k miles on it and recently i head about a "flapper mod". With this mod you can gain power in the low but mostly mid range and you can have a slight noise reduction and smoother shifting. Even so, i really need help with a "HOW TO" about this mod. Any help is appreciated.

-SCOTT-
USN
P-3 IFT

here are some links to the "torn apart" bike.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...0mods/cbr1.jpg
Removing or tying down the flapper will increase intake noise not decrease it. Also you will not notice or feel in gain in low to midrange power and it has nothing to do with smoother shifting.

I am running a Hass Eliminator on my 954 and in the map instructions it states when doing the flapper mod to only remove the flapper and leave the air guides on the sides and under the flapper. I assume this helps air to flow more smoothly through the airbox and not create turbulence. So all you have to do is remove the screws holding the flapper down then remove the cable, remove the flapper, both springs and the white gear where the cable was attached. Put everything else back in the stock position. You can leave the cable in the airbox and the other end connected to the servo.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

just undo those screws you're looking at. pull all that junk out and disconnect the cable from the the servo motor. go to ace hardware and get a bolt that will thread into that hole where the cable came from (it won't let as much hot air into the airbox). the less you have on the servo motor, the longer that thing will last

i sanded everything inside the airbox down.... so mine is truly gutted. i used some plumber's epoxy to smooth at all the rough stuff. - just out of sheer boredom (not because i think the air necessarily flows better)

its not that you're going to gain power or noise... that shouldn't be the reason you do this mod because you'll be sadly dissapointed... the reason to do it is to get rid of stupid stuff your bike doesn't need. you'll be able to break your bike down quicker when you need to, less stuff will go wrong if your bike is less complicated. the way i look at is - if i don't need it, and its only going to get in my way, its gone

Last edited by Conrice; 03-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM

I appreciate all the help guys. I figured i'd ask first before i tried assuming things. Ii'll post more after my bike is all done

Old 03-08-2011, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Removing or tying down the flapper will increase intake noise not decrease it. Also you will not notice or feel in gain in low to midrange power and it has nothing to do with smoother shifting.

I am running a Hass Eliminator on my 954 and in the map instructions it states when doing the flapper mod to only remove the flapper and leave the air guides on the sides and under the flapper. I assume this helps air to flow more smoothly through the airbox and not create turbulence. So all you have to do is remove the screws holding the flapper down then remove the cable, remove the flapper, both springs and the white gear where the cable was attached. Put everything else back in the stock position. You can leave the cable in the airbox and the other end connected to the servo.
Where did you get your Hass eliminator from?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 AM

ebay ^_^

Old 03-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Where did you get your Hass eliminator from?
Found it on Ebay about 6 weeks ago. I always keep a check on Ebay for hard to find parts. You never know when you will see something on there for a great price.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Found it on Ebay about 6 weeks ago. I always keep a check on Ebay for hard to find parts. You never know when you will see something on there for a great price.
There was a guy about a year plus ago that made them. Had them going for like 80 bucks, havent seen them since. Bit myself in the *** for not picking one up. Havent seen any since.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
There was a guy about a year plus ago that made them. Had them going for like 80 bucks, havent seen them since. Bit myself in the *** for not picking one up. Havent seen any since.

ya, they don't make them anymore.... i can't believe there was only one guy that made the HTEV eliminators.... its not like the 954 is the only bike that has them....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help with 954 flapper mod