CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Nail in the tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nail in the tire

Buy a new tire from Cycle Gear and get the road hazard insurance.If it happens again then you get a new tire either free or at a discount.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok ok here comes the fun part! did any one ever take off the front tire with out those stands??? i have one forthe back but not for the front...

Old 03-02-2008, 12:06 PM

If you are in a garage with exposed rafters, you could throw a ratchet strap over one, then around the solid parts of the tripple clamp. Losen up the pinch bolts and axle bolt before you raise it. Or some have used jack stands to put under the forks. Be sure that you have someone else help you raise it up on them, as they might rotate and you want to protect the bike if it falls either directions.

+1 on the plug patch. I've run them down to the cords before and no problems.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

wow why would u want to skimp and take the risk i mean true a brand new tire can fail just the same but i would never feel 100% safe on a patched tire at 80mph.. also ya the rachet strap idea works ok if that's all you have but if you are goin to do tire changes or work on your bike then i would buy a nice front stand, i made the mistake and bought a cheap front one of ebay and it works well but it's a bitch to get it on the stand

Old 03-02-2008, 04:41 PM

i've used tie downs over the rafters to do front tires. that works good for me. And some people are scared of patch tires, i think with everyone suing everyone else over stupid ****. Places are too scared to patch tires just for the liability reasons. But i've ran patch tires for years and they work fine. But it is always good to have a set of new tires in your garage. but i still stand on learning to take off your own wheels and saving money

Old 03-02-2008, 05:41 PM

i got better solution ill just 12 it!!! not.....i think ill just get the front stand and not worry about me ever even thinking about how to do it with out it....since i dont have any exposed raftersor anything tohang the ratchet strap on, ill just do it like everybody else, with the front stand....this is perfect ill get the chance to change my bearings as well...kill two birds with one stone

Old 03-02-2008, 08:03 PM

One of the main reasons why you shouldn't run a plugged, patched, or plug-patched tires is because many a tires are/have 0 degree belt looming in them. If the nail/object that penetrated the tire is large enough to damage those cords then you take the chance of those belts breaking even more under high speed or high heat.

The question then becomes at what speed is safe or doesn't produce a high heat cycle? None are "safe." When this occurs, a rear tire is kinda like a front tire that has cupped, etc... Ever have a car tire shred on you? That's why you shouldn't patch a back tire, and never a front tire. Whether you ride one that has been patched is a choice you make. Like I said, I've done it, but sometimes they were only to do a couple burn-out contests or to get me home until I could order a new one.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned

my thoughts exactly.. use it as a spare or waiting on a new tire.. for around the city or stunting/burnouts but woudl never keep one on for my fulltime tire.. i've had a few tires patched on cars and left them.. and had NO problems.. but would rather take the chance on 4 then 2..

Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM

yea i just got a screw in the rear and i already need a new tire but i just got 2 speeding tickets and cant afford a new tire so i just pluged it. it seems to be holding ok. i even ran the 1/4 mile today. did alright too so yea i dont have any problem with it

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

i never got these people... buy a 5-10k bike.. and then they complain about tire prices.. it's part of the sport.. if you can't afford a 180-200 rear tire then maybe you should save some money and go on a cheaper bike

Quick Reply: Nail in the tire