CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

My First Bike 02 954 RR

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Bike 02 954 RR

Wassup folks. I have been reading the posts in this forum for some time now, but decided not to join, or post until my bike arrived. I got a 02 954 RR silver/black for about 5200 from a bike shop in CT through ebay. I love it. I rode a lil bit since it got here. Being a Drill Sergeant takes up all my time, and doesnt give me much time to ride becasue I do have a wife and kids you know? Anyway, I have read many posts about not recommending a person to buy a litrebike as a first. I was told to get what I wanted, as long as I respect it, and learn its capabilities. My boy told me that it would only go as fast as my wrist told it to go. I have prior experience riding, but its been a whilw, and Ive never owned anything. This bike is in very good condition. No real mods besides a yoshi slip on, fender eliminator, and a tinted windscreen. Just how I wanted it. At least I know it hasnt been tinkered with by someone that didnt know what they were doing. I cant really figure out what im going to do with it yet. Of course i will change the appearance a lil bit. The power is great. I want to do wheelies and all that, but I will wait until I am comfortable. Most of all, I just wanted to say wassup to you all, and hoping I get a warm welcome. One question though. Is it normal for a bike to have that strong exhast smell from the pipe? It seems as if I can smell it on me for a while after I ride. Holla back

Old 11-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Default RE: My First Bike 02 954 RR

Welcome. Bikes in general have that smell, and yes, it's strong, but pleasant. I dont agree with the liter bike as a first bike, but that's a little late now so be careful and even when you THINK you know what you're doing, you probably wont for a while. Wheelies, I'd not. Enjoy and welcome.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:23 AM

Oh yeah.................[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 PM

+1 on what gixxereater said. Need pics and literbike not recommended... but ride safe and smart. GET GEAR NOW. No 'I don't have money', no 'I'll get some later'. You had the money to buy the bike, so get the gear. Wear the helmet!!! Good luck and ride safe!

Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM

+1 GEAR! If you haven't bought your gear yet, do so for your wife and kids. And, be safe and have fun.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 PM

Oh yes, most definitley got the gear. I did the buy it now option on ebay to get the bike and then had to arrange shipping. While I waited the 2 and a half weeks for the bike to get here, I bought all my gear to match. I have a few buddies that are bike riders that assisted me in getting the best things safetywise. Thanks for the info though. I can feel the power in the bike, but im not too worried because i havent tested it like that, and I dont think I will until I am really comfortable on it. Here are the pics of her. Anyone know where I can get some good carbon fiber air duct covers? Or is it better and cheaper to just buy the carbon fiber material and do it myself? Feedback on the pic please

[IMG]local://upfiles/12252/BAB40BEE507D4FAEB28EA6FE3230E1EE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice lookin bike, friend of mine has the same color/year bike

Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 PM
VP

good clean lookin bike man... I don't think you can get the carbon fiber air duct covers, or if you can I have never seen them. It's hard enough to find the stock ones. Anyways, it sounds like you're familiar enough with eBay so just keep checking on there for new parts and stuff... I buy a lot of stuff from there... first thing you want to do is get frame sliders man! don't mess up those fairings.

Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 PM

+++1 on the gear and sliders. My first bike is a 929, and so far so good with 2000 miles.

One safe trick is to grip the relaxed throttle with your wrist slighly low - if the bike yanks you, your wrist can only straighten and chop the power, get what I mean? Not the most comfortable grip, but it could help in the beginning til you get used to the power. If you grab it wrist high and the bike tugs at you, you can accidentally add more throttle, and then you're standing in the street with no bike.

Ride safe. Great lookin bike.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the tips fellas. I will do those things. Anything else you think of that I could benefit from would be appreciated.