CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

My 954 is in the cold Ohio River!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 954 is in the cold Ohio River!

I live in western Kentucky about a mile from the Ohio River and 200 yards from a tributary that has overflowed to near record levels. I moved my bike to as high a ground as possible before suddenly being surrounded by water. There are places in my yard that are 6 feet deep and a lot of Asian Carp swimming about. My house is surrounded by water on all four sides and the main highway connected to my drive is 4 feet deep under water and closed to all traffic. That being noted, my bike is sitting in about 4 to 8 inches of water on my elevated car port. The water is touching my drain plug and I cannot tell if the oil pan gasket on the side with the kickstand has been submerged up to the gasket. I usually keep my bike in a garage that is four feet lower and 20 yards closer to the flood waters. The flood water comes up to my flag post holder in front of the garage and over the door handles. I parked the bike as close to the house with the kickstand closest to the house to protect in case of high winds. My mid-pipe is not completely submerged, but is half way sitting in the water. Neither my front or rear wheel bearing have been under water or even splashed a little. The water is not expected to lower until next week. When the water is gone, what will I need to do? Will my oil pan gasket still be OK? Will I need to change the oil? Will I need to run any additives in my oil if I change it? Is there any sensors, or electrical components in the mid pipe that I might be concerned with? I only use Honda oil and I do have comprehensive insurance.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM

I would say you're in quite a pickle there man :\ .... it really hurts to sit here and read that ...

As far as the bike goes ... try to keep a record of how high the water gets on the bike ... if it don't go above the wheel bearings/midpipe area you shouldn't have a problem with the engine oil (after the water subsides take a look at it through the sight glass and see if it looks milky or cloudy ... if it is change is ASAP) ... engines are made to keep the oil inside the motor so it shouldn't have too much of a problem keeping the water out till it gets up to the intake/airbox at least anyway ... ... if it gets up to the wheel bearings, you might just have to pull them and either replace them or repack them with wheel bearing grease at the very least to prevent rusting ...

Anyway, keep us posted on what the water makes it up to on the bike and we'll see what could possibly be affected by the water ...

Old 05-06-2011, 10:53 PM

^+1

If is doesn't get higher, you should be fine.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:04 PM

if it were me id put my bike in the house!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tuned93
if it were me id put my bike in the house!
+1 .... already got water in the house anyway !! ...

Old 05-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you should be fine....

that being said though, before you crank the bike or anything after all the water goes away, drain a lil bit of oil from the drain bolt (dry everything with a towel first). if your oil looks like chocolate milk - you have water in the oil and that means serious problems. if it looks black, you're good to go.

sorry to hear man.... i don't know how i would be able to handle that. goodluck - i hope there's no damage to any of your things including the house

Old 05-07-2011, 08:27 PM

Just to be on the safe side I'd just drain the oil and leave it open for a day in the hot sun, this should evap any water that might have gotten into the system.

I'd also lube everything, just rather be safe than sorry.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:46 AM

You're probably OK, does not sound like you're in a bad spot yet.. Nobody mentioned the HTEV and rear brake light switch, but, again, I don't think you're going to have any big problems..

Old 05-12-2011, 03:56 PM

If you can..... get the bike up on something. concrete blocks??? Anything.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:13 AM

Seriously, though, how about some pics?

Quick Reply: My 954 is in the cold Ohio River!