CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Mid ride Start runin fat

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid ride Start runin fat

Well the good news I went on my longest ride today ever on my 954 500miles. We hit Palomar Mountain by San Diego, it was my first time ever on a track of road that tight so I took it easy. I basically thought it was better lookin new and slow than new and on a life flight helicopter. (dont know if this logic makes sense at all but it did at the time).

Anyhow to my issue, half way into the ride the bike started to run fat as hell (like twice the fuel consumption fat). The guys I was riding with thought fouled plugs or maybe a fuel regulator. You guys have any other ideas?

Old 09-12-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Desertfox223
Well the good news I went on my longest ride today ever on my 954 500miles. We hit Palomar Mountain by San Diego, it was my first time ever on a track of road that tight so I took it easy. I basically thought it was better lookin new and slow than new and on a life flight helicopter. (dont know if this logic makes sense at all but it did at the time).

Anyhow to my issue, half way into the ride the bike started to run fat as hell (like twice the fuel consumption fat). The guys I was riding with thought fouled plugs or maybe a fuel regulator. You guys have any other ideas?
I live in SD and I really need to go up Palomar Mountain. Sorry to hear about your issues and being new to riding can't really help ya.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Yeah, I think I over allowed on fuel consumption to wasn't quite twice the fuel usage but figure i should have been getting 130-150 a tank and I was gettin about 90. You could tell though she was bogging and throttle was real inconsistent at higher rpm's.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

what kind of mileage were you getting to the tank

Old 09-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by smoorebmw
I live in SD and I really need to go up Palomar Mountain. Sorry to hear about your issues and being new to riding can't really help ya.
I live in Yuma, Az. I am fairly new to as far as tight technical riding goes. I have rode for commuting purposes for about 7 years. Ill have to start wrenchin on my bike on lunch breaks to figure it out, I guess the first place to start would be checking out the air filter and plugs. Though I imagine that after running fat for around 200 miles the plugs would be fouled anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Check the fuel pressure regulator! It seems to be the cause of everything.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Yeah, Ill see if I can unbutton things and figure it out tommorrow

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 PM

Yeah, it sure was the fuel pressure regulator got the part on order and the new plugs. I figured the old ones would be fouled if not i guess ill keep the old ones for spares.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 AM

Is that ride at altitude, I have been there but can't remember, I live in Australia. My CBR1000 used to die on quick altitude change, no power, not even enough to over take. Back at sea level power to burn !!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by ozengines
Is that ride at altitude, I have been there but can't remember, I live in Australia. My CBR1000 used to die on quick altitude change, no power, not even enough to over take. Back at sea level power to burn !!
Yes it is at altitude about 6000 feet, though I was having the same issues at sea level also. It was my impression that efi machines should be able to adjust for alt. though? maybe not all the time?

The fuel press. regulator was inspected and leaking out the vacuum nozzle deal on it pretty good though.

Quick Reply: Mid ride Start runin fat