CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

michelin power race

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default michelin power race

has anyone used the michelin power race tires on the street? i know they are mainly used on the track and all but my friend has some from his race days and wanted like $80 bucks for them....a few heat cycles but about 90 percent tread left all over the front and rear tires....i know they are a medium/soft compound so they will wear faster then a qualifier but how long do those tires normally last and you think its worth it?

Old 01-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Default RE: michelin power race

on the street they won't last long at all, especially if you are just riding it one place, letting it sit, then getting back on. It probably doesn't have many heat cycles left before the tires just give out. Spend the extra cash and get some street tires.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:08 PM

i talked to a rep yesterday and he said about the same...said they might give me about 1000 miles but said def not worth the pain of placing them on..running them and taking them off to get new ones mounted and balanced again. brings me to another question....how many of you get your tires balanced? back in college money was tight and never had them done but before and now i do....is there a big difference? or is it more what i hear....just a way for a dealership to make about 60 extra bucks?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60!? if you bring in just the rims usually they will mount and balance the tires for free or for about 20 bucks a set

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM

What bobjoe said. My stealership that chargers almost 100 dollars an hour does each tire for 10 dollars.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:40 PM

ya...alot of the shops around here charge some bull **** prices...

Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM

but is there a big difference of weights to no weights...? someone was talking bout as long as you line the tire up where the old ones are...then you should be alright

Old 01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are the same size, same tire and and stuff ya you could do that but no point in half-assin it

Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: gixbusa

but is there a big difference of weights to no weights...? someone was talking bout as long as you line the tire up where the old ones are...then you should be alright
I used to work in a tire shop, we found that with new tires on new wheels, if they were of a good quality, then you could usually match mount the tires, but even then we sometimes needed a 0.25 - 0.5 oz weight to balance it a bit. With tires that have already been run I could pretty much guarantee you need a balance, typically you'll find that once you hit about 100-110km/h, either the front suspension will feel it's "jumping" a little bit (meaning front tire is out of balance) or you might feel a bit of a vibration in the seat (the missusmay love it but it still means the back tire is out of balance).

So the lesson here, get your tires balanced properly or even though you might have a happy wife or girlfriend, that vibration does get annoying after a little while...

Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM

Get them balanced. Don't be that cheap. I got an old time farmer friend that insists that if you line up some part of the tire with the rim, you do not need to get them balanced. Bull****. I have driven cars that have tires that have not been balanced. They are all over the place. If you buy a tire off of e-gay and bring it into the stealership, they will charge you like 15 bucks. 60 bucks is a total rip-off. If you buy a tire from the stealership, they should mout and balace the tires for free, but you will spend a pretty penny for those rubbers.

Quick Reply: michelin power race