CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Making a track bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making a track bike

Now, I'm not planning on doing this for several months, and its only if I can't sell it within that time, but I'm thinking about converting my 954 into a track bike, but had a quick question. If I did this, I would remove all signals, lights, etc, and just have race plastics put on. Now, I don't have a trailer, a vehicle that can haul a trailer, and still may want to ride the bike down the street. My question then is, and I only ask because I've never seen it done, is there laws in place that prevent you from having like snap on lights and signals? If I built this as a track bike there will not be any signals or light or mirrors for that matter , but I'd like to have a "snap-on" set of lights and signals that would take me like 5 mins just to pop on, plug in, and use that to get me from the house to the track, or when I want to do some relaxing canyon riding, or when I just want to take it on the road. I know its physically possible, so the only reason I could see why nobody has done this is either going to be they didn't feel like it, they like trailering the bike and never riding it on the road, they like taping up their lights before a track day, or maybe law says something about permanently affixed signals or something? Any thoughts?

Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Making a track bike

I dont know about your 954 but i can't even keep my pants snapped when I ride my GSX-R. LOL. Snaps would be a good way for **** to fall off. Velcro would be the same before we get there.

If it would stay on while you ride it, imagine how goddamn hard it would be to remove when you wanted to. As for being legal.....blinkers are bolted on and can be removed as can mirrors so.......I doubt it's illegal to do so if you can make them stay on.

I say tape the stuff up. Yank the mirrors, signals and tape over the lights when you need. Seems like the way to go, or buy race plastics and install a little light in the front and some sort of tail light and call it a day. It wont be legal I'm sure, but it may get you by.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Your bike is homologated by a government agency to be sold as is. Pretty much any modification (moving the license plate, flushmount turn signals, etc) is pretty much illegal on the road, but for the most part, no one really cares.

That being said, I have a buddy who had a R6 track bike that he installed a headlight and a ghetto tail lamp on the bike and just controlled it with a switch. It was NOT legal, but no one ever questioned him (even though he got pulled over several times). You can probably get away with it...

One other note. It is NOT a good idea to ride a TRACK BIKE to the track. It is fairly common to crash, and since you're depending on that vehicle as your ride home... you'd just be f'd. I say don't do it, and just try to make friends with people in your area who do have a trailer and a truck and make a deal.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:42 PM

I ride mine at the track. I just pull the fuses for the lights and tape them.

Is there different rules at different events?

Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on class.. but you need to tape all glass and lights and reflectors and those sort of things.. the higher classes you haveto safety wire drain plugs and oil filters and certain bolts.. those sort of things.. if you are just goin to take days leave your bike as is and do the required taping of mirrors and lights.. if you are going to have a track bike or both.. then remove what you do not need at the track