CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Made the jump, now I need the basics

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made the jump, now I need the basics

I sold my F4i today and picked up a mint condition 2003 954rr with 10k miles on it, red and black. Stock except that it has frame sliders installed and a new ART Pro Series II slipon.

I did not however, get a manual.

I picked up a gallon jug of Motul 300v 10W-40 full synthetic and a filter.

So tomorrow I am cleaning it up, but I want to change the oil and check everything out, so I need some basic 954rr data:

1) Tire pressure front and back (OEM settings)
2) Chain slack setting
3) How much oil do you use with an oil and filter change?
4) How in the hell do you get to the oil filter to take it off?
5) Cannot seem to locate the oil plug, and what's the torque # used when tightening it?
6) Ballpark recommended suspension settings for a 225 pound guy, aggressive street riding, not track
7) Any recommended and simple mods like PAIR valve or flapper mod?

That and a good washing should get me in pretty good shape, and then I can take some pics, start modding it with aftermarket goodies and then I can enjoy the 954rr lovin.

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 10-28-2006, 09:46 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Made the jump, now I need the basics

Here's your shop manual

Not being a smart ***, just thought you would like to have it. If you need me to answer any of the questions still, I'll look them up for you. I downloaded all of the manuals I could find for just such an occasion. Not everyone has the time or the faster speed to download large files.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 PM

No offense taken! Thanks mang!

Should only take a couple minutes to download.

Kickass.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:57 PM

Ok, ran into my first problem. I cannot remove the oil filter.

The header pipe, which is stock, does not offer enough space to get the oil filter socket onto the oil filter, and I cannot loosen it with my hand.

I was like, WTF?? The header pipe goes OVER the filter, it is not between the pipes like it is on the F4i.

So now I have the oil drained, and I cannot get the old filter off. There is like .75" between the filter top and the header. If I have to remove the exhaust system to change the oil filter, this bike is not going to work out, I can tell you that right now. LOL

That would be poor engineering at it's finest.

Can anyone here tell me what I am doing wrong, ASAP?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 PM

you aren't doing anything wrong, The 929 I have is the same way. You could drive a screw driver threw the filter (a long screw driver) and try to get some leverage like that. I just had to go increadable hulk on my 929. I got really pissed and put the death grip on that mother. haha

Old 10-29-2006, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: SquireSCA

Ok, ran into my first problem. I cannot remove the oil filter.

The header pipe, which is stock, does not offer enough space to get the oil filter socket onto the oil filter, and I cannot loosen it with my hand.

I was like, WTF?? The header pipe goes OVER the filter, it is not between the pipes like it is on the F4i.

So now I have the oil drained, and I cannot get the old filter off. There is like .75" between the filter top and the header. If I have to remove the exhaust system to change the oil filter, this bike is not going to work out, I can tell you that right now. LOL

That would be poor engineering at it's finest.

Can anyone here tell me what I am doing wrong, ASAP?

Got a leather belt? I change all my oil filters this way even on my truck.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 AM
VP

you aren't doing anything wrong, The 929 I have is the same way. You could drive a screw driver threw the filter (a long screw driver) and try to get some leverage like that. I just had to go increadable hulk on my 929. I got really pissed and put the death grip on that mother. haha
This seems to be the easiest way I've heard. apparently on the 929 you can do the oil change without taking off the fairings... rumor is you can do it on the 954 but I see no possible way to do that

Old 10-29-2006, 12:35 AM

Alright, I took off the left fairing and then you have enough room to get a large pair of channel-lock pliers in there to grip the filter and you can loosen it in 1/6 turn increments. That said, it will take you longer to remove and replace that fairing than it does to do the rest of the oil and filter change. hehehe

But in the end it worked.

I took off the windscreen and painted it black from the inside, and that should look decent until I get a double-bubble.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 AM

Cool.

Haven't done mine yet, but was thinking of a strap wrench.

The factory manual depicts a special Honda tool ... don't they all. But it might be worth pricing.

Don't think you can get away without taking off some plastics though.

Re suspension: sorry to be personal, but at 225lbs I think you're up for a suspension rebuild. Firmer springs, revalving etc etc. A pro can mod what you've got; won't be cheap but will be fewer $$ than eg an aftermarket shock and it's cheap life insurance ;-}

My purchase was v. similar to yours. Hope you have as much fun as I am!

Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 AM

I agree on getting the suspension done right, but that will be an expense that I take on in the spring. For now, I just need to get the bike as "good as it will get" in order to tide me over.

I got the oil changed, and now I want to quickly do the PAIR and Flapper mods. I need to take the tank off for that. Which hose do I need to plug(with a marble or something) to do the PAIR mod?

And for the flapper mod, am I just rigging it to keep the flap permanently open or closed?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Made the jump, now I need the basics