CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Looking for some tranny advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are people that can follow a manual and swap parts. On the other hand there are people who can do that and also understand how things work "theory of operations". That is a big difference. So I agree with you Con.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Guys trying to figure out if the 929 will work for the 954 transmission. The pictures are identical but the piece numbers are different. And the prices are different per part... They definitely look identical though. Please help with this!! Thanks.
Name:  954RR.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  50.2 KB
Name:  929RR.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  49.6 KB

Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Rule of thumb for me, if the part number doesnt match leave it alone...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
rule of thumb for me, if the part number doesnt match leave it alone...

+10000

Old 07-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Found out the 01 929 transmission and the 02 954 transmissions are exactly the same and can be swapped out, all other years are not compatible. I'll have my transmission next week, now all I need are gaskets and stretch bolts.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Cool beans....

Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
thats true... thats very true.

but an over-whelming majority of people that call themselves "mechanics" are people that can ONLY follow manuals. i understand the difference.

and while i know the people who are truly mechanics are the guys that know how to tweak, know how to make motors or other various components work better than they were intended to AND they're the guys that can diagnose problems, and figure out what's wrong and what needs to be done...

in the context of this thread, its replacing a worn tranny for a newer tranny in better condition. stock vs. stock.

follow the manual, use the tools needed - job done.

for the guy to come here and say, "no, you need a real mechanic with a "trained" eye tell you which gears are worn out" and then tell us to do something that is a VERY bad thing to do to a tranny (throw new cogs into a used tranny) IMO is wrong. and then to sit there and say, "i know because i'm a mechanic at a multi-line dealership" is also wrong. its arrogant.

.... i didn't mean to offend anyone. sorry for offending anyone that i did offend.
As do I dont want to offend, but "throw new cogs into a used tranny" how is that wrong? Maybe I misunderstand you, and forgive me if so, but to me I'm hearing a trans with shift symptoms must be discarded. 1st, you can't buy a new trans assembly like a car transmission. If you order all OEM, it's piece by piece, just like the big 4 brands doesn't offer a complete engine. So if you buy a used gear set from ebay, I highly suggest every piece be inspected for wear, and this takes knowledge of what worn parts look like. When a bike comes into a shop with a repair order that reads "slips out of 2nd gear" the tech must find the cause of this complaint, not just order every part to make up a completely new trans assy. He finds the damaged parts, every last one, they get replaced, unit goes back together now with no issues. The parts that show no signs of wear, no need to replace.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 PM

okay, i understand you don't want to build a new tranny. the reason for that being its not cost effective at all. its like this. if it comes into the shop with a (slips out of 2nd). you could replace every part in the transmission, and it would fix the problem. but that would cost a fortune, for the customer and the shop, so a mechanic comes along, finds the parts that are actually causing the problem and replaces it.

but look, this guy diagnosed the problem, its not slipping, he just doesn't have 4th anymore. and the same thing is happening with 2nd. now if you look at the repsol build page. you'll see this pic

Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  92.1 KB

as opposed to just removing the parts that are damaged (those 2 gears), i replaced the entire transmission. the reason being is there is a wear patern on the gears (think like chain and sprockets). if you throw a different rear sprocket on a chain/sprocket set that has a few thousand miles on it, it'll wear WAY faster than it would normally - because of the wear pattern.

its the same with the transmission. you could easily replace the worn gears with brand new OEM factory honda cogs, BUT, the other gears plus the new gear will shift bad, and wear much much faster.

instead, putting a slightly used transmission in here instead (that already has its own wear pattern) is a better bet. here's this motor getting ready to go back together. every component in the tranny is the OTHER transmission. shift forks, shift drum, shaft, counter shaft, all of the gears - EVERYTHING. it all works together.

Name:  IMG_1474.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  3.7 KB

now, if your customers found out that you were buying used trannys off of ebay and putting them in their bikes (even though its a better solution to a transmission issue like i've exampled here), they'd flip their **** and never come back, so you bet that no dealership would ever do what i did. but, if you get a tranny that is in good shape, its a better solution.

if you get a tranny off of ebay, and its in bad condition, and doesnt work for you after you've inspected it - send it back, get your money back, and look for another one.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:05 PM

thats a pretty small picture, i dont know why its so small, but if you go into the repsol build, it blows up bigger. sorry.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 PM

I hear what you're saying about mixing/matching the parts, but I don't see how a new 4th gear would cause problems to the mating gear. Because each part on the thousands of bikes running around are machined identical. I"m trying to think outside the box, but having trouble, lol.

Quick Reply: Looking for some tranny advice!!!