CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Intermittent Spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Spark

Recently purchased a 2003 CBR954RR that has been idle for several years so I decided to join this forum to seek some help.

The previous owner had the bike die on him. He had a new starter installed as well as a new wiring harness. I’ve been able to start the bike several times but have found the spark to be intermittent. Sometimes it sparks/works and sometimes not. The battery is kept on a battery tender.

The bike has over 43,000 miles so I began by checking the valve clearances and found each valve needed adjustment, some quite a bit (0.04 mm measured vs. 0.13 mm intake minimum spec for example). Valves are now all within spec.

Here’s what I’ve done regarding the spark problem.

1. Checked the voltage on the pink wire at the ignition to be 9.36 volts and 8.95 volts on the pink wire going into the ECM.

2. Getting 3.82 peak volts from the Ignition Pulse Generator and verified peak voltage at the input to the ECM.

3. Getting 1.52 peak vols from the Cam Pulse Generator and also verified this is reaching the ECM.

4. Verified the ECM is getting +12v.

5. Verified the Black/White wires on the ignition coils are +12v with the ignition switch turned on.

6. All the lights, fuel pump, horn, instrument cluster and starter work so tracing the schematic diagram it may be deduced the tilt sensor is okay. Also physically verified the Engine Stop Relay is functioning correctly.

7. Checked continuity from each spark plug coil back to the ECM and they are good.

8. The Engine kill switch is working as it should with the fuel pump priming when the ignition is on and the kill switch turned on.

9. I checked each wire to the ground buss near the battery where a number of green wire grounds are tied together and they were all tied to ground.

The battery presently being utilized is a spare so I’ve ordered a new battery for this bike. I’ve searched YouTube looking for the same problem on CBR954RR bikes but didn’t find this exact problem. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ik this thread is a little old but have you figured out what was wrong with your bike I got a 02 954 and it has a no spark issue ive checked everything I can think of ive looked through a ton of forums as well im getting less and 9 volts at pink wire I have a brand new battery in it I had it running right for a short period of time but then lost power to all 4 coils again someone had run a jump wire from a 12v relay under rear plastic "on throttle side of bike" to the number 3 coil and itll get 12 volt constant to all coils and runs but runs like crap