CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

How to disconnect the trunk release cable?

Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disconnect the trunk release cable?

Hi folks, I am trying to take off the tail fairing to take a look at the headlight relay since my high beam is acting a bit weird...some times on and some times off. The maintenance manual says I need to disconnect the trunk release cable to take off the fairing. I looked at it and seems like there is no way to disconnect the cable. What am I missing besides some brain cells? Do I need to take the lock off too?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

John

Old 11-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

it's your basic steel cord connection (like the clutch cable, like the TB's, etc.). you have to get the cord free from the holder on the locking mechanism side. then using pliers, move the cord to where the slug will come out of the locking mechanism.

the lock is held on by two aluminum plates that interlock with each other. pull the smaller one out of the bigger one, and the lock will come free from the fairing.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks Conrice. I will go give it a wiggle when i get home. Thanks for the instructions.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 PM

Did the relay fix the problem? Please describe in detail when the lights go on and off, while your driving or what? Why are you driving with highbeams on and is it only the highbeams? If the relay didnt fix the problem please describe in detail problem and Ill try to help.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

I haven't had a chance to play with this yesterday. But I will have Saturday all day to play with this.

The headlight issue is this: When I press the button to turn on the high beam, the high beam would come on, but it takes a few milliseconds to "think" before it comes on. It should come on instantly I think. Try it a few more times and some times it won't come on. (edit: this is not from driving, just stationary. I am just trying to test everything, don't necessarily need to drive with HB, but would like to have an option)

When it doesn't come on, I give the rear right fairing, where the relays are, a tiny bump and it comes on. So I am guessing it's a loose connection in the relay.

The other problem I have is the brake light doesn't come on for the rear brake, works fine for the front brake.

I just got the bike used and from what I can tell, other than low side fairing damage on both sides, the blinkers are after market blinkers. Everything else stock. So I am hoping that connectors/wires are just loose from the low sides. Nothing major is what I am hoping.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Looks like the relay was just a little loose. Played with it a little and HB works as it should now. Boy putting the tail back on was a pain though. I can't believe I got it back on without cracking that thing.

Can't figure out why the rear brake can't engage the brake light; all the connectors going into the brake light are connected. I am not too worried about that though as I don't use the rear brake much and never alone by itself.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:48 AM

Im going to assume you no nothing about electricity, dont take it personal, but I dont know you so..... First off, make sure your rear lights work; does the rear brake light work when you apply the front brake. If yes, then its not your lights. If you dont have a digital volt ohm meter, do me a favor and pick one up at your local auto parts store for US $30 more or less. Do you have the electrical diagram? If not please download the manual posted on this website. Find the switch (Rear brake switch) on the wiring diagram and circle it. Of course you would have to print it our first before you circle it, but just find what color wires run to it. Let me know when you get the DVOM; Ill check the wiring diagram tomorrow and tell you what to check next, by the way, your probably have to remove the rear again so sorry, but thats life.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:05 AM

I really don't know much about electricity other then don't touch an outlet when your hands are wet

The light itself is ok since it will light up with the front brakes. I did see something a little odd yesterday...let me snap a few pics and see if they mean anything on this issue.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:45 PM

Im looking at the wiring diagram, and there could only be several reasons you dont get the brake light when you press rear light. First off, press the rear brake down hard with the force of your foot, not your finger. You may not have been pressing hard enough when checking. If that doesnt work, find the switch, its connected to the brake lever with a spring, if its not connected to the lever than connect it, grab some pliers and pull the spring see if the light comes on, with key turned on of course. If that doesnt work you need to check for electricity at the WHITE/GREEN wire that leads to the switch, if no electricity there, you have a break between the splice that leads to the front brake light switch. Like I said you need a meter to check for electricity. Let me know what results are and we'll go from there.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Thank you G_954rr. Turns out I was not pressing it hard enough with my hands...did the foot test and the light works fine. If you are ever in the SF bay area, let me know, I owe you a few beers!

Regards,

John

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to disconnect the trunk release cable?