CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

How common is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How common is this?

How common is it that a 954RR falls at LOW or HIGH speeds on the right side which is the stator side and cracks the engine casing along with the stator cover from the crash, Even if the bike has frame sliders.

Me and my friend looked over my bike and he says taking the engine out may be harder now because the frame is mounted and is one piece, we seem to think it may be weldable with the engine in place as long as we scrap the jb weld and undo the electrical.. any other tips?

-Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Sup dazed how's the bike comming ? Ok heres some info for your rocket you are trying to repair. Just disconnect all the electrical connectors on the engine take photos with your smart phone or just lable them . Drain all the fluids oil coolant . There is 5 bolts that hold the engine in the frame. 2 on the left side 2 on the right side. And 1 in the rear of the case. It will come out ! After that get it up on a bench clean all jb weld off . Take it to a racing shop and they can weld it . To do the job the correct the engine needs to come out period ! And yes most of the time when the bikes are layed down on the stator side the case usually cracks . My 54 engine that I'm puting into my 29 is cracked on same spot . Noo big deal .

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i can get a 954 motor out of the bike by itself really quick. definitely under an hour from where you're at (you have the fairings undone, etc). get the bike on the rear stand.

basically, you put a jackstand underneath where the stator would be and where the clutch cover goes.

1)get tank off
2)get airbox off
3)undo all the wiring (even your starter motor wiring). drape it back over the subframe (or tuck it into the trunk). ***make sure to not forget the kickstand switch**
4)get TBs off and hang them up by triple tree
5) undo the hoses for the radiator and reservoir
6)exhaust has to come off (10 nuts on the headers, one on the back of the motor bracket, and one of the passenger peg)

7)undo the 4 motor mounts and then the long bolt and nut that can help you pivot the frame

then you're lifting the frame off of the motor. put one hand on a clip-on, the other hand on the subframe. pivot the back up first and walk the frame off the motor. then you can wheel the frame/subframe/radiator/triple assembly anywhere in the garage (it's real light - just somewhat awkward)

what you have left is the motor sitting on the jackstands with the swingarm and motor mount bracket (i still don't know what the name is).

then you just undo a few of the bolts holding that on and you're done.

reconnect the bolts with your frame sliders to the motor to use as a handle. take a long extension and put it through the holes for your swingarm pivot bolt. you and a buddy should easily be able to carry it anywhere then

Old 02-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Well said dr Conrice !! The 54 expert !! Its all about that beautiful repsol 54 you sold !! It was glorious !

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the posts guys,
My friend though it would be tough because we have nothing to lift it or hold it into place... plus we have to bring the bike to his friends shop who does TIG welding... It just seems like quite the process. Now he's saying we should just get it prepped for welding and he may be able to do it right from the bike.....

Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Dazed it's really not a big deal to pull the engine . You seem like you don't want to put fourth the effort to do the job right . It's like saying well I could Still take a shower with my under ware on because. It would be easer ? Because my friend said I could still get clean with out taking them off? Lol well hats off to ya buddy ! Let's us know how your. Case turns out!!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dazed
Thanks for the posts guys,
My friend though it would be tough because we have nothing to lift it or hold it into place... plus we have to bring the bike to his friends shop who does TIG welding... It just seems like quite the process. Now he's saying we should just get it prepped for welding and he may be able to do it right from the bike.....
i'm telling you, it goes real quick. you won't forget where the radiator hoses go. the plugs for the wiring are all color coded.

the first time i was going to do it, i thought it would be overwhelming. but it's real easy.

listen to the welder though. if he wants it in the bike, leave it there. i just can't imagine he'd want to have to work around the way the motor will be orientated for him. i figured he'd want it on the side (clutch down on the work bench).

o, and unless you want to buy a new ECU, at least take the battery out before he welds on it (or just take the ECU out - it's just 2 big plugs - again - color coded) if you're leaving the motor in the bike

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Is that all I have to unplug other then everything else? the ECU if the motor stays in?

Thanks

Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Official Glory Detailer

Yep unplug the ecu if the engine stays in ..

Old 02-15-2013, 06:19 PM

yup, if you don't, your bike won't start. the ECU will literally **** itself. unplug the battery too. your sensors and everything though will be okay!

Quick Reply: How common is this?