CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Help Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Opinions needed

Alright so I literally sat here and looked at every thread about changing sprockets and chain size.....I came up with 2 I'm thinking about either going -1/stock with 530 chain or going the -1/+2 520 route....would love some opinions from you guys that have done them or something better before I make a decision and purchase...thank you

Old 09-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are good,most popular is -1,+2 520.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRmonst3r
Alright so I literally sat here and looked at every thread about changing sprockets and chain size.....I came up with 2 I'm thinking about either going -1/stock with 530 chain or going the -1/+2 520 route....would love some opinions from you guys that have done them or something better before I make a decision and purchase...thank you
Originally Posted by letsride
Both are good,most popular is -1,+2 520.

that's what i did on my 954 and i went with a stock gearing 520 on the wife's. unless you beat the hell out of your 954, i think a 520 will do just fine and last quite a while

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 AM

Alright cool ill go -1/+2 520 route thank you guys for your posts....one more question can you guys tell me where I should order a good kit for the swap first time I'm doing this want to make sure I get good sprockets and chain thanks again guys

Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 AM

i have a 525 d.i.d. quick excel chain and sprocket kit. i order mine from sprocket center every time. they are good peeps and its fast delivery. i went down one tooth on the front sprocket and kept the back stock. and it easily pulls second gear power wheelies. if ya go 1 down in front and two up in rear it will be stupid low gears that will pull like mad. its what a lot of people who ride track do, from what i hear. there is a gear/ speed ratio chart somewhere on here or online if ya wanna look it up.

as for 520, 525, or 530, i stick with factory 525. that works good for me. 520 is lighter and spins round faster, cause it has less rotational mass. 530 is opposit but, last longer cause its more heavy duty. 525 is in the middle. you CAN NOT mix and match the sprockets and chain it has to be all 520, 525 or 530. for example, NO 520 sprocket with a 530 chain or anything like that.

the chart i speak of basically tells ya exactly what and how the different gear ratios will change revs and top end speed but, you get a ton of low end pulling power. look it up, and think what riding style you do most and go from there. a lot of people play around with gearing for low end gains or for top end gains. just do a lot of research before you do any changes to make sure its done right.

PS- the guys at sprocket center will be more than happy to help you decide and give you their professional advice. they did for me.

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-27-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
i have a 525 d.i.d. quick excel chain and sprocket kit. i order mine from sprocket center every time. they are good peeps and its fast delivery. i went down one tooth on the front sprocket and kept the back stock. and it easily pulls second gear power wheelies. if ya go 1 down in front and two up in rear it will be stupid low gears that will pull like mad. its what a lot of people who ride track do, from what i hear. there is a gear/ speed ratio chart somewhere on here or online if ya wanna look it up.

as for 520, 525, or 530, i stick with factory 525. that works good for me. 520 is lighter and spins round faster, cause it has less rotational mass. 530 is opposit but, last longer cause its more heavy duty. 525 is in the middle. you CAN NOT mix and match the sprockets and chain it has to be all 520, 525 or 530. for example, NO 520 sprocket with a 530 chain or anything like that.

the chart i speak of basically tells ya exactly what and how the different gear ratios will change revs and top end speed but, you get a ton of low end pulling power. look it up, and think what riding style you do most and go from there. a lot of people play around with gearing for low end gains or for top end gains. just do a lot of research before you do any changes to make sure its done right.

PS- the guys at sprocket center will be more than happy to help you decide and give you their professional advice. they did for me.
Can't agree with you on the stupid performance and the mad pulling. I did -1 +2 on 530 and I think it was just right. Didnt feel sluggish and didn't feel like stunt sprockets. Just right. I'm pretty sure Con and Ride will agree.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ya, the main reason i went 520 is price - because i figured i want to try something different by the time that chain/sprockets needed replacing. i know that the "extra" - if you can call it that - performance is there - but i don't think you'll notice it on the street. i didn't. and you certainly wouldn't notice it compared to noticing the difference in gearing

and you can bet i won't be going -1/+2 on my fighter motor once it gets done. or 520....

Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM

"stupid" as in really low and "mad" as in a lot, compared to stock. and yeah i might just have to try that 1 down and two up and see if i like it in the street. if you say it feels just right.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Alright so i shouldn't do the -1/+2 520 then? if there is no major preformance difference between the -1/+2 520 and -1/stock 530 i think ill go the -1/stock 530 route then....conrice why wouldnt you go -1/+2 520 with your fighter?

and again thank you guys for all your responses greatly appreciated!

PS- i also do some drag racing at my local raceway, nothing serious just racing with some friends if that helps on what way i should go

Last edited by CBRmonst3r; 09-27-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by cBrentb
"stupid" as in really low and "mad" as in a lot, compared to stock. and yeah i might just have to try that 1 down and two up and see if i like it in the street. if you say it feels just right.
Naw bro im tracking. Im just saying its an improvement, but its not ridiculousness.

Originally Posted by CBRmonst3r
Alright so i shouldn't do the -1/+2 520 then? if there is no major preformance difference between the -1/+2 520 and -1/stock 530 i think ill go the -1/stock 530 route then....conrice why wouldnt you go -1/+2 520 with your fighter?

and again thank you guys for all your responses greatly appreciated!

PS- i also do some drag racing at my local raceway, nothing serious just racing with some friends if that helps on what way i should go
I would go -1 +2 on 530/520. Replace it all at once. Get the 54 done right. As far as his fighter......have you seen that thing? First off its bad a$$, second the only thing stock about his engine is the look. It would be insane with that set up. https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-fi...thread-127508/
Fell free to droll. I did.

Quick Reply: Help Opinions needed