CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Help With my cbr954rr Rode with low oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea there is, but it would flash like one off really fast every once in awhile while i rode it, didnt think much of it. Tought it would turn more solid, not flash quickly every 10, 15 minutes while riding, but i tell u what, im gonna be the crazy oil checker guy now lol. i can see it now. telling my grand kids about it when im 80. but i just found one for 1200. has 7600 miles on it and is from a shop that garentees it runs. ill have it next week sometime and am going to just put it in the bike myself. save me 700 or so bucks.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

it will save you time and money to do it yourself, and you can put it in the bike with simple tools... ya i figured you probably fried the rings... you gotta be careful man....

what do you have planned for your old motor?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM

idk yet really. i would like to take it to another mechanic and see if there is any salvagable parts. Or if it really is that bad. i mean they did say the pistons have good compression.. sometimes i feel like there f**king me and think that it could be fixed. They are assuming the crank is bad. i might keep taking it apart to see if it is and sell or give away the parts to people that need em. if there is any. but if its fixable im thinking go kart or a streetfighter

also i figure along with everyone else. theres no way that it should of burned oil like it did in 1500 miles. im pretty sure the guy i bought it from put no smoke oil in it and knew of the problemm....but damn seeing how hard it is to find a 954 engine thats good, and just how much i already have fallen in love for this bike. i just cant wait to have it running again.mashing around. i<3 954's

Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM

well, just keep it, and start un-bolting stuff it. if nothing else, you'll learn a lot

Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 AM

Yeah, it isn't too hard to load the engine yourself. But you WILL need two people. Unless you have some magical way to steady the bike safely while raising the engine into the frame, or lowering the frame onto the engine and get the bolts in all by yourself. Either way, its kind of a hairy situation. I just did it two days ago with someone. We lowered the frame onto the engine and slid the rear mount bolt in first. Then I had the big guy lift the front of the motor up which swiveled on the rear mount bolt while I inserted the front mount bolts. Then I had him lift the bike up while I tightened the cables which held the bike in the air from the ceiling.

Last night I got the lower bracket swing arm mount mounted, and the swing arm and shock and wheel. So tonight I should be able to install the exhaust, and then the radiator assembly. After that it's smooth sailing with installing the throttle bodies and plugging all the **** in in the engine area. Cant wait for that moment of truth when I hit the starter button.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:08 AM

IMO, its easier to put the swingarm and shock on the motor first. then lower the frame onto that. you'll still need two people - or at least it'll be easier that way. but if you put the swinger and the other motor mount on first, then you'll just have three long frame studs, the shock, and 4 motor mount bolts when you pull the frame/subframe over the bike, and you're done.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM

I pretty much installed my engine solo. My wife is mechanically declined. I couldnt even get her to thread a motor mount bolt. I used jackstands to hold the engine in place. I put the frame and forks over the engine. I raised the back of the engine (by hand) and put the rear motor bolt in first. Then used a hydraulic jack to jack the front up into place and put the 2 left mount bolts in (not tight, but tight enough not to sheer the bolts)......

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM

here are some GOOD pics of the engine, and mhm coffee table i like the idea.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

I have a question for the OP. What were the symptoms you noticed when you felt your motor might not be super healthy. I have a good reason to believe that my own 954RR wasn't maintained too well and recently I heard it start clicking a bit. When I put it up on a rear stand and tried to freewheel it in neutral, I could feel considerable resistance and clicking.

I lubed the chain, checked the oil and ran it in first gear on the stand so I could inspect it, and it seemed to run a bit rough. Although it still rides well, I'm becoming more convinced that the motor isn't 100%, so just curious what other symptoms you noticed to diagnose yours might not be as well. Thanks, and best wishes to you.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:19 PM

engine was making a clanking noise around 4g. thats when i noticed i burned through almost all my oil. had only about a quart left.

Quick Reply: Help With my cbr954rr Rode with low oil