CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

help FI light on- Red light flashin-- ahhh

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help FI light on- Red light flashin-- ahhh

ok, so i replaced the battery and attempted to start my bike. It wouldnt start, so i checked the plugs and found them to be bad.
Today i replaced them and the bike started right up. I let it idle for a few mins, got her up to opp temp and tried to ride her down the street.

the bike is breaking uup, and running rough. It idles like fine sometimes, other times it just smalls. I'm pretty sure i didnt mess anything up replacing the plugs It almost sounds like its misfiring, but when i rode it before i bought it it was fine, with no problems. I didnt have the time to count the flashes or anything, but the fi light was staying lit, and the red light would come on and go off, or flash. it was wierd.

does anyone have any suggestions, before i bring to local shop to have fixed?\\
i will count the flashes if any later on tonight.

its an 03 954, has 5500 miles an akro slip on and intergrated undertail. i cant figure out why this would run like this now, but a few days ago it ran fine, no problems..

it would break up like it had bad gas, but i just put a gallon of 93 in her yesterday. idk whats wrong. at times i had like no throttle responce. Im thinkin it might be some kind of a vaccum leak, masybe i didnt plug something in all the way or something..

any help would be greatly appreciated.

-tim-

Old 03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Default RE: help FI light on- Red light flashin-- ahhh

tried to start her again, no luck.. i turned the key to the onn position, had the kickstand down and had the cutoff engine start switch in the on position. The FI and Oil lights are lit, not blinking. The red indicator light is 1 steady blink about every 4.5- 5 seconds. I watched it blink over 20 times, just 1 blink every 5 seconds or so. When i put the engine kill switch to the off position, the FI light goes away, and the red light becomes a solid light( doesnt blink).

Any help would be awsome

thanks again,
Tim-

Old 03-06-2008, 11:15 PM

I don't have a service manual handy, but that blinking is the error code the Fuel Injection system is receiving from the ECM. When you lift the sidestand, I believe the blinking will stop? And when the sidestand is put back down it will begin blinking again. I believe one long blink means "Code 10" perhaps (short flashes = "1", and long blinks = "10"). In any case, did you remove your airbox to replace the plugs or the radiator? Retrace your steps exactly and ensure you didn't leave any wiring harness connectors unplugged. Perhaps even one of the coils was left unplugged. Your description makes it sound like its not running on all 4 cylindersas though one of the stick coils is not fully pressed onto the spark plug or the connector is not fully engaged. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

ok, it says in the manual 1 blink could be mixed up connection between the tps and map sensors. I ran outside and switched the two harnesses, and it still will not start, however, now the red light remains on, no blinking just lit. I believe i may have flooded the bike trying to start her.

but the book is saying staying lit means faulty ecm or pgm-fi connection failure. Altogether, idk what is wrong, i know it ran before, and now it doesnt. It woulnt start, and i defintly smell fuel. I am assuming that i probably flooded the bike, which probably screwed up the new spark plugs, considering it is cold out to. I know its not the battery, cause its hooked up to trickle charger whenever im not riding.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM

So are you removing the seat and finding the loose 2 connect plug and turning on the ign. jumping those two wires together to activate dealer mode and being able to read codes. Long blinks are "10's" and shorts are "1's" Also what plugs did you use, make sure you used the right now. I know they make IMR9H, 9b, 9A...etc don't know what the difference is, they all look the same but obviously there is a difference that might screw with things. Have you been storing the bike? Bad gas....clogged filter or injector? Other than that, without looking at it i think i'm out of ideas. Plus i just had my first test for school, so my brain is used up

Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 AM

i used the 9a plug. The difference is in the tip of the spark plug where the spark is transered from the electorde. No, i read that if i connect the wires under the seat it allows me to read stored codes, but to read current ones i just turn the key to on, the engine cut switch to run and the kickstand down.

like i said, i think i flooded the bike, i have to check the plugs tommorrow, and that will let me know whats going on down there. Then im gonna check for spark on all plugs.

im not sure what else it could be. I just put a gallon of 93 in there, so thats prob not it either. air filter is ok, i just gotta double check everything to make sure its all good.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:30 AM

I'll buy if off ya when you become so frustrated you dont want it anymore [sm=drooldude.gif]could always use another 954.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: AAnderson

I'll buy if off ya when you become so frustrated you dont want it anymore [sm=drooldude.gif]could always use another 954.
it took me almosta year to find this bad boy. not letting go anytime soon..

the bike is still not starting. I pulled the plugs and tested for spark. All of the coil packs are firing, and the plugs are getting soaked with fuel. I want to say something is wrong with the injectors or with the spark system, but the pgm fi light is now staying red. The only other light on is the oil light.

I thought the bike had enough oil in her, but could it really be that simple. IF the bike senses low oil or oil pressure, could it cause it not to start? I double chekced everything, all coils are on, plugs are gapped correctyl, no loose wires or vacuum leaks. I just dont understand. new to working on bikes, if this was a civic id be driving it by now..lol

thanks again for all info, and plz keep it comin.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MAP and TP sensors backwards

Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM

when i switch the plugs, the light then blinks 1 long blink every 5 seconds, which says that there backwards.. very confusing stuff..

Quick Reply: help FI light on- Red light flashin-- ahhh