CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Gettin my 954rr started... HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin my 954rr started... HELP!!!!!!

hello everyone, my names jake and im new to the forum and to a 2003 954rr. picked one up that had been laid down. i bought it becuase it had only light cosmetic damage. it had sit for about a year with about a gallon of un stabiled gas in it, so obviously the gas is bad. but before i drained it i tried to start it anyway. it cranks good but no fireing. i did jumper the tip over sensor so i know its getting gas. also i did get it to run for a couple seconds off starting fluid. (i know this is bad for it)

since then, ive drained the old gas put in fresh premium fuel. still no start. so i pulled the fuel line off the the fuel rail and turned the key on to prime/ just to see if the gas was passing thu the old filter and getting to the rail.. IT WAS. i pulled the velocity stacks. and found a couple drops of oil underneath them.(not sure if this is bad or not)

today my plan was to pull the spark plugs and check to see if those were gummed up, unless someone else has a better idea......

is there any other sensors i should check that could stop ignition?

Old 09-24-2010, 09:48 AM

Air + spark + fuel = bang, go to your plugs. Usually the first thing i'd replace after the bike has been sitting.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM

also i forgot to add that because their was only a gallon of fuel in the tank, it does have some surface rust inside the tank.... even if i can get it started, i think i should try to get this out some how. any ideas...

Old 09-24-2010, 09:51 AM

yup. its on my to do list. unfortunitley my local shop has to special order them....

thanks for the input.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Air + spark + fuel = bang, go to your plugs. Usually the first thing i'd replace after the bike has been sitting.
Advance Auto Parts is the cheapest place to buy factory spark plugs. They dont keep them in stock but can get them the next day. I just changed the plugs in my 954 about 2 months ago and the plugs were $10 a piece from them compared to around $16 from bike shops.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:47 PM

Great. Cause actually their 25 a piece at my shop.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 AM

ok so it started with the new spark plugs. (thanks for the heads up on those, backdoc.) but when it started, it smoked for a long time from the exhaust. finally it has stopped that, but now when it gets up in temp it it starts smoking from where the header and midpipe come together. any ideas on this?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by geiger1374
ok so it started with the new spark plugs. (thanks for the heads up on those, backdoc.) but when it started, it smoked for a long time from the exhaust. finally it has stopped that, but now when it gets up in temp it it starts smoking from where the header and midpipe come together. any ideas on this?
What color is the smoke? Does your bike have the stock exhuast? If stock, check to my sure all bolts holding the exhaust together are tight. You should not see exhaust gases coming out anywhere between the header and midpipe. If your bike still has the stock HTEV valve between the header and midpipe make sure it is not sticking. You may have a bad servo motor (located on left side of bike just under frame rail, should have cables going up to airbox and down to exhaust) which controls the flapper in the airbox and the valve in the exhaust. Start bike and rev the motor and check to see if the cables move. If no movement servo is bad.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 PM

Apparently you have a leak at that point so I would try to correct that. Second did you recently change the oil and maybe oil got on the pipe and now its burning it off since you were able to start it? Last where your talking about, but I highly doubt it, maybe your leaking coolant from your water pump and onto your exhaust. Again I highly doubt the last one but im just throwing that out there.....

Old 09-29-2010, 06:45 AM

The bike has a full arkopovic exhaust on it. i have not changed the oil yet. but it is leaking from the drain bolt, cause it has no crush washer. The smoke was a thick white or gray when if first started, but now it barely smoke out the end of the pipe. all the smoke is now coming of the midpipe/header area when it gets up in temperture. i'll check the servo wires, but i'm not familur with the HTEV valve.. what is this????

Quick Reply: Gettin my 954rr started... HELP!!!!!!