CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

gas tank removal - half way there

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank removal - half way there

hi everyone!

i've been a member for quite some time but i hardly come around anymore - no offense to anyone here, you guys and gals are great. i've just had to distance myself from riding for almost a year and a half now..

anyways - i'm back and i got an 03 954rr..

went from a 94 f2 to an 05 600rr (sold that badboy for an engagement ring and lots of wedding planning headaches) lol, jk, its not all that bad... well now i am the proud owner of an 03 954rr..

well long story short, i need to remove the tank to get it painted.. i used all manuals available to me, previous links, and other resources and now i am just stuck.. i can figure things out with the right resources but i am in no way knowledgaeble, an expert, or mechanically inclined.. i just need help figuring out what the hell to do next..

i removed the two screws in the front of the tank, the bolt towards the back of the bike. removed the screws on the sides connecting it to the fairings (not to sure about the proper terminology that i should use), the only thing left to do is to remove the tank, and fuel lines/connections..

BUT i can't get it up high enough to see where i got to disconnect it from? any ideas or suggestions? anyone else ever come across the same scenario? should i be worried if i pull too hard or could i pull harder than a soft nudge upwards?

????????

Old 01-18-2011, 09:37 PM

U have 4 total lines. Return and feed line. 2 hoses, one for overflow and i cant remember exactly what the other is for. If you pull a little harder those two will usually come off. They are not held on by clamps so no need to worry. The feed line has a banjo bolt on the right side of the bike and the return line has a hose clamp on the left side....

Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

and you are aware that there's no on/off fuel valve right? it's a pain in the ***, so make sure you don't have a whole lot of fuel left in the tank

you know that bolt that you removed in the back? that's a pivot bolt so that you can lift the tank up and down with one hand from the front of the bike. if you want, re-connect that bolt, and then you can lift up on the tank so you can see the bottom and see the hoses that you need to disconnect. then, you un-do the 4 bolts that hold the pivot plate and you can get your tank off once you've figured out the hoses. it also helps when you put the tank back on, the pivot plate is easier to line up on the frame as opposed to trying to line up the pivot bolt.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Put the rear bolt back in and then you can lift it up from the front to disconnect the lines.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 PM

i did read that the fuel left over may spill but there is not much in there anyway so it won't get too bad..

i also didn't get to the section in the manual that references the removal of the tank.. i was trying to base it on the visuals in the beginning of the manual. so that helped me out about too.

and i totally i had an "ah-hahh" moment when you guys mentioned to put that pivot screw back in.. that should help me out tremendously!

thanks again.. i should be trying to get it off tomorrow after work.. i will keep you guys posted!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 PM

i got the tank off!

but i have 2 more follow up questions.. in the attached pic, there is still a hose connected to tank itself the other end is not connected to anything at the moment, nor do i think it was connected to something in the first place. if it was connected to something or somewhere i have no idea where it goes..

also, in the part thats under the tank (when normally attached), there is that balck casing. i think its where the air filter is? not sure tho.. anyway. i took the casing off because i was curious to see what was in there. i opened it up and there was nothing but this shell like material (kind of like acorn shells or pistacio shells) and there was also this stringy like material, i cleaned that all out as best i could. i hope i did the right there but seemed like a no brainer.. am i right by saying that is where the air filter is kept?

Attached Thumbnails gas tank removal - half way there-img00087-20110120-2131.jpg  

Last edited by dachamp312; 01-20-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ya, thats where the air filter is, then the 4 tubes are the velocity stacks, and they go into the throttlebodies which feed fuel and air down into the head. so be careful not to drop anything down into those tubes (cover them up with a rag).

Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 AM

That hose is a over fill drain hose and it runs down the side of the left side fairing and "drips" out the bottom of the bike. If you look at the bottom you will see a clip that holds that hose and a second hose.....Have you downloaded the manual yet? You probably should for component location reasons...

Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 PM

Sounds like a rat made a nest in your airbox. So there wasn't an air filter in there?

Old 01-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldn't be the first time some one finds a rats nest in there.

Quick Reply: gas tank removal - half way there