CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

First Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike

I just got my license and have been looking for a bike to buy. A buddy offered me his 954 for a great price, since he needs the money before he looses his house. My only question is do you think this bike is alright for a first time rider? I've ridden quads and dirtbikes before but nothing more than 450's. I do not plan on trying anything on it b/c i'm more concerned about my life than trying to be cool. What do you guys think? The offer is a steal hands down but i'm just nervous about getting it as my first streetbike.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM

buy it then sell it and get a 600 i started on a 600 and if you are not stupid on it you will be fine i dont think u would good starting out on a bike that big ppl have done it but if you have not rode a street bike before then thats high to start out on get somthing smaller or buy then sell and get one

Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People give varying opinions but I'm responding based on the assumption that you really mean this and not just saying it:

Originally Posted by jerzeedevl
i'm more concerned about my life than trying to be cool.
On a scale of best first bikes, 954 is off the chart on the not being a good first bike choice. Get something with under 500cc so you can learn properly to gain fundamental skills that higher cc bikes will hold you back from learning and have fun learning. Your dirt bike experience will help but street bike fundamental skills are still vastly different. imo, let the good offer go because you will be tempted to keep it if you buy it for resale purposes.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I am with Kewl on this one, even going up as far as a 600 would be fine I would say ...but, going for a 954 on the street as a new rider is just pushing the envelope a bit much and stacking the odds against you.
Are you a saint with ultimate throttle restraint?? ..lol

Jules

Old 03-02-2009, 05:11 PM

u wont enjoy the 954 because since u have never riden a street bike, u will not be able to use the full potential of the bike. i would go with a 600rr or and F4i if you want a honda. great bikes to learn on, and can definatly have a lot of fun on them once u get the hang of them. My first bike was the F4i, and im on my 2nd 954rr. the 954 is very powerfull. like somebody said before, if its a steal, buy it and sell it for more!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EvolutionVIII
u wont enjoy the 954 !

Um, oh yes he will ... briefly!! ..lol

Jules

Old 03-03-2009, 06:12 AM

I've said it before, and will say it again. My 954 is my first bike. Was it a smart choice? most of you would say im stupid. Before i bought it, i've ridden plenty of bikes b4. Im very happy i went with my 954, so i didnt have to re-up from a 600. Im going to have to agree with everyone here though, since you only ridden up to 450cc's. Start with a 600. I say buy, DONT SELL IT. Buy a cheap 600, get used to...ride it for a season, then break out that bad 954!!!! be safe.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 AM

Man I don't want to sound like an azz here, but when I bought my 54 it wasn't my first street bike, but my first sport bike. I will say they are a far cry from the Intruder 1800 I rode though. You can't even compare them. I'm mandated by the Department of Defense to take a riders safety course in order to ride any bike. So they sat me on a Honda 250 and told me to pass a course, which if you can ride a bicycle you'll pass. My 54 is something differant, and I put 2k miles on it before I PCS'd and had to store it; for the next 45 days (WOOT!). I'm still scared of that bike, my learning curve is slower than normal and A buddy I work with wants to trade his 600 for my 54 so he can drag it. It's a fair trade we used NADA. The advantage for me is I have great group....again, to ride with who will teach me how to use my bike and I have 10 years of discipline to work with. So I will say get it, but you will be slower learning it, a lot slower. Dirt gives a lot more than street and allows the rider to compensate for mistakes by "throwing" the rear and "planting" a foot. Asphault hates you and always will, and deer, and cars, and gravel, and wind, and debri.

Wildcard

Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM

heres my .02.. a 954 is my first sport bike... i love it, ive riden shadow 600, and 1300vtx, but no comparison to the 54. i say its not a bad first bike if you have a little common sence.... if you can get it cheap go for it. just be aware it can hurt you, but in retrospect so can a 250 ninja... go for it..

Old 03-05-2009, 12:08 AM

Hey jerz...the 954 can be a monster if not treated right. I have a 02 954 also my first bike, and love it . I love the way the bike feels. Handles good, sits good(to me anyway), and will have u on one wheel in a heartbeat, which I think is fun, but I also have a great respect for the bike and as long as u respect it, she will return the favor. I actually learned how to ride on this bike at work. A co-worker of mine had the bike and as a joke, I asked if I can ride. Supprised as I was, I put the helmet on, got on the bike and off I went. Whatever your choice...just be safe and have fun.