CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Do I need a power commander?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a power commander?

I have an 03 Titanium and it has 6800 miles. I bought it three years ago and it came with a Yoshi slip on. I put a K&N filter on it and put in NGK Iridium plugs. I was wondering if I needed to add a power commander? I am totally happy with the bikes hp and performance as it is. I just want to make sure the bike will run forever as it is set up now and that I am not hurting the motor by not running a power commander.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you don't need a power commander...

but you're not getting all of the potential performance and smooth fueling from it that you WOULD get from a power commander.

if you don't plan on touching your bike again (i.e. no more mods), then you don't need one, but if you do plan on doing things in the future, you should go ahead and get one

Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 AM

I had power commanders fitted to two of my bikes and on one it made virtually no difference, and on the other it smoothed out the low speed throttle response. As far as I'm concerned though, they're next to useless unless they're accompanied by a string of Dyno Runs and associated remapping by someone who knows what they're doing.

Invariably, you end up with a richer mixture and increased fuel usage. That's just my experience!

I won't be buying another.

Tom.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to Conrice's Comments!

Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by MadDogMcQ
I had power commanders fitted to two of my bikes and on one it made virtually no difference, and on the other it smoothed out the low speed throttle response. As far as I'm concerned though, they're next to useless unless they're accompanied by a string of Dyno Runs and associated remapping by someone who knows what they're doing.

Invariably, you end up with a richer mixture and increased fuel usage. That's just my experience!

I won't be buying another.

Tom.
Yep! If you aren't willing to spend another 2-300 bucks on a dyno tune, then don't bother. Any map from dyno jet is going to be stupid rich. Sure it might run smoother, but you will probably lose some power. I had my buell dyno tuned with a power commander 5 and it made a nice difference at part throttle and under 4k rpms. It also gained 6hp and 7ft lbs of torque overall. Compared to the map on dyno jets website, my map is very lean.

I can't see the need for a pc on this bike. Mine runs very smooth with stock air filter and aftermarket pipe. I'll be spending that money on new chain and sprockets, along with a speedo healer.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM

As everyone said, it doesn't really "hurt" the bike but unless you have it professionally tuned it's kind of pointless. It will more than likely smooth out some areas throughout your RPM's and it might give you a bit more linear torque and HP curve but essentially it's not worth the money unless it's tuned professionally.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

well, i haven't had mine done on the dyno by a professional....

and mine has made a HUGE difference, so i have to disaggree with pretty much everyone else

look, there are a ton of variations for slip-ons, and you should test all of them to see which one works the best for your set-up. if you get the pciiir, you can also tune your ignition which is what i did. you can advance and retard timing to your liking. and then, you can make little adjustments to any maps that you think you need to make. for example, i'm using a two bros half exhaust that eliminates the htev. i made a few adjustments, as well i've advanced the timing.

its a WHOLE lot of a difference on my bike as opposed to not having one.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 PM

I didn't know you could change timing on these bikes with a power commander. Any power increase you may feel is likely from that.

I stand by what I said and IME any map made by dyno jet is pig rich, so get a dyno tune. I paid $180 to have my other bike dyno tuned.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 AM

The pciiir's are no longer available so you would need a pciii usb and the ignition module to change timing. Power comanders are an excellent upgrade but i agree with out a dyno tune you dont know if your helping or hurting the bike. The drop in maps from dynojets website sometimes feel like theres an increase in performance but are usually rich. Id rather be rich and use extra fuel than be lean and burn up the exhaust valves though.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bidds
Id rather be rich and use extra fuel than be lean and burn up the exhaust valves though.
True.

Quick Reply: Do I need a power commander?