CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Decided

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decided

Ok so I decided,
I am going to get another 954 (as close to stock as possible and not abused)

1. what should I pay? (I say about $4000 if it has low miles)
2. what should I look for? I never bought a bike from any1 other than family or friends so I am kinda confused what to look for.

3. What service Should I do as soon as I get the bike?
oil change?
brakes?
valves adjusted?

4. I have decided to do these mods
1. slip on pipe (jardine cut exactly how mine was on my other bike
2. power commander 3 (tuned)
3. the flapper mod (idk what this is but I hear alot of people doing it- explain)
4. chrome rims and other chrome parts lik mirrors (brake disc carriers <pref polished instead> and a smoke windscreen, and possibly
5. steering damper (gpr i guess bc i can prob get it in red or black)
6. crash cage
7. undertail (still want to mount my license plate under the tail), maybe like a hard rear seat
8. HID's for the low and high beam (please help me find one that won't be a hack into the standard like wiring, and the lights won't be purple)

any other mods I should look to do to make the bike more enjoyable, safer, look nicer

my friend Joe just bought the same bike n threw a cage n chrome rims on it so I have to compete with him lol

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

good.

1) $4k tops. show up with cash in hand. its hard for someone to turn down a cash in hand offer no matter what it is.

2)look for rash. anywhere. swingarm, clutch covers, frame sliders, frame, bar ends, etc. (and obviously on fairings). make sure radiator is straight. its very easy to bend the mounts. hold bike level, and check the oil level. thats a good clue to how well its been maintained. then, start the bike, let it heat up. watch the temp gauge and see if it makes it to and over 180 degrees. listen for valve tick. smell for coolant, the pipe shouldn't smoke unless you give it little blip throttle twists. ride it. a good gauge for how well someone has taken care of their bike also is to check the air in the tires. if they're at 10psi and it hasn't been sitting for a long time, then the owner didn't/wasn't taking good care of it. inspect front forks. the shiny fork part should be clean. you shouldn't see fork oil build up. straddle the bike and shove down on the forks very hard and quick. if you see a bunch of fork oil - the fork seal is busted and probably means its seen some wheelies.

3) oil change. that way you can get on your own regimen. check the other fluids like coolant level. make sure that your brake pads are in good shape. if not, change them.

4) as far as the mods. flapper mod is removing the flapper that's inside the airbox. prop tank, take out the 8 screws that hold the top of the airbox. pull top of airbox off and you'll see the velocity stacks towards to the back of the airbox , then a wall, and then a flapper (as you're looking towards the front). unscrew the flapper and and unplug it. done. or you could dis-connect the cable too from servo motor which goes through the bottom of the airbox towards the servo behind and below airbox on left side of bike.

you will have to slightly mod the wiring harness in order for HIDs. if you don't want purple, don't order anything over 6000k. 8000k - 12000k is where you start getting purple. if you want BLUE HIDs, order 4000k (on the whiter side of blue) 5000k (middle of the road), or 6000k (very blue - looks good, its what most people do imo).

if you plan on taking the bike apart a lot, getting quick fuel disconnects for the gas tank lines is a good investment. PAIR mod is another cool little mod that doesn't require much effort to do as well.

hope it helps

Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM

4k is a great deal...I paid closer to 5 for mine...so worth it

Old 04-01-2011, 01:08 PM

You should be able to find a good condition bike for $4k, but it's going to take some time. I paid $4600 for mine, but it was the original owner and only had 3700 miles on it.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
if you don't want purple, don't order anything over 6000k. 8000k - 12000k is where you start getting purple. if you want BLUE HIDs, order 4000k (on the whiter side of blue) 5000k (middle of the road), or 6000k (very blue - looks good, its what most people do imo).
4000k are close to stock just much brighter
5000k are are white and closet to noon lighting
6000k are almost pure white with a very small tinge of blue.
8000k are the most popular white with a tinge of blue.

www.ddmtuning.com are amazing for price and quality.
$50 and a lifetime warranty you might just have to wait a week or 2 for delivery as they are super busy.

I don't know what bulbs you run in a 954 but I have H7's in my F4i and you dont half to cut any wires and neither for H4's.

Here are my 8000k:

Name:  aqq.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  48.0 KB

Old 04-01-2011, 06:24 PM

DDmtuning is where I got a kit for my buell. No cutting necessary, everything plugs into the stock connectors.

I was going to order one for the 54, but they were having supply issues.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjones
4000k are close to stock just much brighter
5000k are are white and closet to noon lighting
6000k are almost pure white with a very small tinge of blue.
8000k are the most popular white with a tinge of blue.

www.ddmtuning.com are amazing for price and quality.
$50 and a lifetime warranty you might just have to wait a week or 2 for delivery as they are super busy.

I don't know what bulbs you run in a 954 but I have H7's in my F4i and you dont half to cut any wires and neither for H4's.

Here are my 8000k:

shows how much i know...

your 8000k's look purrrtttyyy , but i do know though that a lot of people simply just get the highest k rating they can because they think its the best/brightest, rather than realize its oreintated to color.

and i didn't know that they made kits that are plug and play. i know you still have to incorporate the ballasts and everything else that comes with the kit, but thats just to the battery, right? i was just going with the one that the guy had on the bike i bought from him. it was quick spliced spliced all over the harness. yuck... it took a lot of ripping out and replacing wires on the harness to get it back to stock.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 PM

There are no wires to run with the ddmtuning kit, it all plugs into the stock bulb socket. You don't even run a ground wire, nothing, nada.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
good.

1) $4k tops. show up with cash in hand. its hard for someone to turn down a cash in hand offer no matter what it is.

2)look for rash. anywhere. swingarm, clutch covers, frame sliders, frame, bar ends, etc. (and obviously on fairings). make sure radiator is straight. its very easy to bend the mounts. hold bike level, and check the oil level. thats a good clue to how well its been maintained. then, start the bike, let it heat up. watch the temp gauge and see if it makes it to and over 180 degrees. listen for valve tick. smell for coolant, the pipe shouldn't smoke unless you give it little blip throttle twists. ride it. a good gauge for how well someone has taken care of their bike also is to check the air in the tires. if they're at 10psi and it hasn't been sitting for a long time, then the owner didn't/wasn't taking good care of it. inspect front forks. the shiny fork part should be clean. you shouldn't see fork oil build up. straddle the bike and shove down on the forks very hard and quick. if you see a bunch of fork oil - the fork seal is busted and probably means its seen some wheelies.

3) oil change. that way you can get on your own regimen. check the other fluids like coolant level. make sure that your brake pads are in good shape. if not, change them.

4) as far as the mods. flapper mod is removing the flapper that's inside the airbox. prop tank, take out the 8 screws that hold the top of the airbox. pull top of airbox off and you'll see the velocity stacks towards to the back of the airbox , then a wall, and then a flapper (as you're looking towards the front). unscrew the flapper and and unplug it. done. or you could dis-connect the cable too from servo motor which goes through the bottom of the airbox towards the servo behind and below airbox on left side of bike.

you will have to slightly mod the wiring harness in order for HIDs. if you don't want purple, don't order anything over 6000k. 8000k - 12000k is where you start getting purple. if you want BLUE HIDs, order 4000k (on the whiter side of blue) 5000k (middle of the road), or 6000k (very blue - looks good, its what most people do imo).

if you plan on taking the bike apart a lot, getting quick fuel disconnects for the gas tank lines is a good investment. PAIR mod is another cool little mod that doesn't require much effort to do as well.

hope it helps
Thanks for everything
1. ya def.. some joker said 5500 the other night i almost threw my phone... ya he could blow me

2. rash is easy to see i def will check that
radiator, i am goin to assume look through the front?
oil level i will check in the little oil window
my bike used to run at lik 210 is that normal or was it high?
i am half deaf so i def need to bring some1 for help listening for valve tick
coolant is def easy to smell for
smoke is easy enough
didn't know to check the air pressure
def knew the fork seal trick to see if the bike was wheelie'd

3. good maintenance suggestion... if the bike has nearly 15k how important is gettin the valves checked realigned?

4. WHY do people do the flapper mod anyways just wondering? lik what does the flapper do and why dont u want it to do it?

i prob WILL not do the HID's trying not to mess with the wiring but if I do I would get the 4000k bulbs (not a fan of the blue or purple tint)

GOOD idea on the fuel quick disconnects

what is the "PAIR mod" and similar questions with the flapper mod... wat does the "PAIR" do and why would I want to modify it?

ONCE AGAIN thanks for your original answers and help and thanks ahead of time for your answers to these questions and comments

Old 04-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by moosestang
You should be able to find a good condition bike for $4k, but it's going to take some time. I paid $4600 for mine, but it was the original owner and only had 3700 miles on it.
that I def wouldn't mind... this guy said 5500 lik I am a child and a dummy for a bike that prob was crashed and had 8700 miles

some other guy made me an offer 6500 for a chromed out 1 (n it was the wrong color)

I was lik no thanks to both... I am desperate to ride but not desperate enough to make a bad financial decision lol

Quick Reply: Decided