CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but wont start

Need some help. I just bought a 2003 954rr with about 3700 miles on it. Get it home and it does not start. Apparently not the battery like I was told. Before I take it back to the guy I would like to see if there is a easy fix. When I turn key on the fuel pump does not activate and the headlights do not come on. Battery is fine. Engine will keep cranking but will not start. I have checked the bank sensor and it has never been removed. Anyone know of anything else?

Old 12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Default RE: Cranks but wont start

The bank angle sensor removed doesnt mean its not faulting......IF the bank angle sensor is bypassed on the SENSOR side of the plug, it can still give a problem.....The problem it can give is the PLUG can go bad and not have a good connection. Therfore even though u have it bypassed afetr the plug, the ECU is seeing the open before it gets to the bypass........You need to bypass on the BIKE side of the plug, before you try anything else.......=-)

I bet when u turn the key the FI light stays RED. Also, i bet your tachometer (guage light) does not light up....And IF im not mistaken, when ur turn the bright light switch on, the bright light indicator does not show on the gauages...But IF u turn the bright light switch off, it will show the bright light switch on the gauges...........=-)

Correct me IF im wrong, but trust me i fought that battle with my 954 for 3 months. And what to beat myself after i realised the problem was in my hand the whole damn time....=-)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 PM

Should I even have the bas plugged in together? All the symptoms you just posted are exactly correct. Could you tell me how to bypass, and at which point of the wiring do I bypass? If I take this front end off again I am goin to flip. Thanks for the help so far.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 PM

Just noticed something else that may get me some help. When the ignition is on only the rear turn signals work. Does this bike have serious electrical issues? It also has the letter "A" lit up on the guage when ignition is on?????

Old 12-16-2008, 10:57 PM

Just get to the bank angle sensor plug.....Take the plug on the bike side, and jump a short piece of wire inside that plug. Jump it to the two outside wires that are in the plug.......Basically u want to short out the two outside wires of that plug........When u do that.....Then try to see if the fuel pump primes. If it primes, then u have found ur problem. I bet the bike cranks when it does!!!!

That jumper wire is a TEMPORARY fix, just to see if the plug is the problem.....If this fixes the problem, make sure u wire up something a little more perm. Because i would not trust the wire just to hold itself in that plug....My 2 cents!!!!......=-)

PS: Rear turn signals will work....They arent connected in line with bank angle sensor, headlight, fan and the fuel pump....The ground wire on the headlights, tachometer light, fuel pump and fan are all connected to the bank angle sensor. When the bank angle sensor has a problem it will make all of the above go off or act really stupid........Once again, rear signals should be ok....IF u have a problem with those signals NOT working at all. Then it would be another issue.....=-)

Get to the bank angle sensor, do what i said and fix that bike man.......You will be glad u did....=-)

Old 12-17-2008, 11:12 AM

I tried shorting the connection by doing what you said and I am still getting nothing. All wires to the front end are gettin powerfrom the battery, but I am not getting anything as far as lights and fuel injection. Do you think if I replace the sensor that would do it? I have tried shorting it out on both sides of the harness with and without it being connected and still nothing.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM

Hrmm damn......ok lets try this

1: Check ALL of your fuses with a METER (not your eyes). Prefer the fuel injection fuse and the ignition.

2: Keep the tip over sensor bypassed. Try bypassing the fuel cut relay. Possible that relay went out. Also try bypassing the Ignition off/on relay. IF either one of those goes out, it'll give this problem

We're trying to eliminate one problem at a time here..........Have u ran 12v straight from battery to see if the fuel pump kicks on......?=-)

PS: Check your PM!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 09:19 AM

Thanks for all your help, I am outta towm until Monday but will try everything you just just said. I'll let you know....

Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Hey ReSpEcT....thanks for all the help. You were right on with the Bank angle sensor. The coupling that connects it from the lights to the bike was bad. I just cut it off and spliced the 3 wires together. Bike runnin great now.....thanks again!!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM
RCR

Just FYI it's called looping not shorting. Shorting out is never a good thing.

Quick Reply: Cranks but wont start