CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

chain and sprockets

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain and sprockets

hey guys, i just installed an RK x-ring chain and vortex sprockets on my '02 954rr, i havent gotten it back from the shop yet so i have a couple questions... first, does anyone else have this kit? I went -1 front +2 rear, anyone else have this set up? and if so how does it affect all around performance? And secondly, this will affect my speedo right? what can i do to fix that? ive heard of speedo healers but cant find them anywhere? please help! 954er in trouble! thanks in advance!
-chris

Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: chain and sprockets

calsportbikes, one of our sponsors, has speedohealers.

your speedo will be over 10% off with that set up...as far as performance difference...hahahah just wait until you get on it...it may feel jerky at first but you'll get used to it...also...your MPG will go down a bit, but nothing like a cage or anything...and your RPMs will run higher in all gears at the same speed as before.

i did have the RK/Vortex kit like 3 years ago...the chain stretched all out in like 1K miles...so i got a DID chain, that one lasted forever! so i only recommend DIDs...but others have had great luck with RK, just that i never did.

you're going to love the set up! if it's too much, just go -1 in the front or the +2 rear and keep the other sprocket stock.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, i had the exact set up on my bike, i did it myself before i even put the bike on the street and i loved it, the chain lasted the whole time i had the bike, the rear sprocket lastest me 8000 miles, but i was pretty hard on it and did a decent amout of wheelies and stand up wheelies, so after that i changed both the front and rear, and put another 2k on the bike and sold it, the MPH were off but i just left it, i just stayed with traffic and i had a buddy go with me on the highway and tell me when i was at 65 and then i looked at what my bike said so i could judge how fast i was really goin, mpg.. i dont really know because 1. it was always on the bike, 2. i didnt care haha, but good luck with it, and watch out for 1st gear.....

Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM

had -1 steel front sprocket vortex.
had +3 rear aluminum sprocket, vortex.
did 530 gold x- ring chain

chain held up awesome. i drag race the hell outta the bike on and off the street, the aluminum sprocket didnt last 1000 miles till the teeth got stretched twice the length they were when new. so if you race your bike hard a lot id recommend steel rear sprockets or titanium. ive got about 5k on the steel rear and it still looks awesome

Old 09-21-2006, 12:51 AM

hey chris you know what a 3.2 final ratio would add as far as hp on an 02 f4i yellow/black/siver/red lol

Old 09-23-2006, 02:02 AM

Just so you all know, this chain/sprocket set up is SICK. The power difference is absolutely amazing and i still hit 160's-low 170's. Extremely noticeable difference in power, pulls up from shear power and a little tug through 3rd gear, but the front end stays down full throttle when you want it to. My advice to all you 954 owners..... GET YOURSELF THIS KIT, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. Plus it looks sweet [8D] The only thing i need to do now is get a speedohealer... its a little off (about 10% [:@] )

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 AM

has anyone noticed that the vortex front sprocket isn't as tight to the splines as the stock? i was told b/c the vortex doesn't have rubber bushings built into the sides like the stocker but it concerns me....

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Too Smart For My Own Good

Originally Posted by Chrisct713
Just so you all know, this chain/sprocket set up is SICK. The power difference is absolutely amazing and i still hit 160's-low 170's. Extremely noticeable difference in power, pulls up from shear power and a little tug through 3rd gear, but the front end stays down full throttle when you want it to. My advice to all you 954 owners..... GET YOURSELF THIS KIT, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. Plus it looks sweet [8D] The only thing i need to do now is get a speedohealer... its a little off (about 10% [:@] )
its not possible to go that fast with those sprockets, haha.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 AM

hes probably reading what the speedo says even tho its way off.

get a speedo healer ASAP if you can. it basically pays for itself when you go to sell the bike, you will have that many less miles on it because the odometer will be correct and you will get more for the bike.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Just bought a 954. How can I tell if I have aftermarket sprockets or stock. Is there a certain amount of teeth or something? Just curious.

Quick Reply: chain and sprockets