CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cbr954rr top end whine

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I followed the exact procedure in the manual dor adjusting valve clearance and measuring it, Ive done valves before, and its all pretty much the same. I really dont think clearances are the issue..

As for the buckets, they are definitely rotating (hence the swirls or circles on the buckets). The buckets are not misshapen, bent, or beat up. They just are getting these swirls on the upper surface, the valve bucket bores were all measured and in spec and there has been zero wear on the sides of any of the buckets.

One thing to note though, is that I've notice upon cold start up (after its been sitting a while) That there is some racket coming from the top end (like the cams hitting the top of the buckets loudly enough for me to hear it). This sound begins to taper off as the engine warms up and is completely gone once the engine is at operating temperature. Is this normal?

I'm going to test the oil pressure and CCT right now, I'll get back to you with what I find.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is bound to be something simple that we have all missed, good luck with the test's

Old 01-21-2018, 12:48 PM

Right?! I just wanna find it already! haha

But anyways, oil pressure is perfectly in spec and CCT is fine as well.

Using the stethoscope some more, I have indeed found the noise originating on the right hand side and only really when I put it on the valve cover and nothing else. Before I could very easily hear it while listening to the head itself or even pick it up around the clutch cover (since it was resonating that far down im assuming). BUT I cannot hear it on the left hand side of the valve cover, just the right side.... ughhhhh

Oh, and any input on the valve train racket on start up that i mentioned earlier?

I'm going to go test ride it briefly and see how that goes.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

As regards the valve racket at start up, of course it has to be heat that causes it to disappear, but what working parts are closing on each other to make it disappear , the $64 thousand dollar question, as the lobes are turning on the camshaft and in contact with the buckets , then the buckets should be rotating , but the scoring recorded on the tops of the buckets looks like there's an interference there, but why the interference , and its not just one bucket but all inlet and exhaust, rambling here but hoping I might have a Eureka moment , but no ,maybe the ride might show something on the buckets

Old 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM

It rides and preforms great, but after the 10 minute ride and after letting it sit and cool down the whine appears to be louder now. Definitely suspecting the buckets to be getting those swirls on them still.

So I'll tear the bike apart again sometime this week and let ya know what I find as far as the buckets are concerned. UGGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 01-22-2018, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Could it be your engine break in procedure, damage can be cause by letting the bike idle to long before lifting revs , looked back over the posts but didn't see anything about that, could be a lube problem at low rpm feeding the top end... maybe

Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Did the cams measure in spec? I'd bet a Canadian dollar that they've been chewed up a bit too, and if it's oil starvation, we could have damage throughout the whole thing

If I can play devil's advocate, are we at the point of considering an engine swap? There's always a few low mileage examples online

If it's a choice between having a good functioning bike and having an endlessly frustrating piece of garage art, you know what I'd choose...

Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Are you resetting the CCT correctly before you put it in? If you just put it in and tighten the bolts, the chain will be way too tight and scream.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM

Yes I have a CCT holder tool, without it, itd be impossible to install the CCT at all. And the current cams are fine and in spec. Even the last cams still measure to be in spec but they have the marks on them, which you cannot feel or measure, but can see.

And honestly A whole engine swap wouldn't be terrible idea at this point.... lol

There is a guy locally selling another 954rr for parts, it was laid over once sometime in its past and he says the engine measure low compression..
So if I went that route I'd have to rebuild another engine.. which normally I wouldn't mind but at this point...

Old 01-22-2018, 02:38 PM

maybe if i could weasel the motor off him really cheap itd be worth it, and then I could just sell my current one for parts lol

Quick Reply: cbr954rr top end whine