CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cbr954 vs R1

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cbr954 vs R1

hi im new here and am having trouble i have a cbr 600 that my girl has been learning to ride on and i am looking at buying a new bike the two i have in mind are the 2003 cbr954 and a 2004 r1 i havent rode either of them i really like doing wheelies and going fast throught corners. the 600 is good for corners but wheelies suck cause lack of power i can do them but id like more power so i dont have to clutch it let me know what you think thanks

Old 10-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Default RE: cbr954 vs R1

hi there...i might be the perfect guy to talk too..haha...i had a 05 r1 last year which i think had no changes from the 04 model but the bike was awesome...so much power and tons of midrange...it handle great and was pretty comfy...i ended up t-boning a car that pulled out without looking and it took a year to settle but when i decided to buy another bike i came across a 03 cbr954 for 5500 and i went for it since it was a good price...i didnt like the bike at first but its a nice bike and now with 2000+miles on it i do like it...but u wanna know how they compare and here is what i think...power goes hands down not even close to the R1...and its not a crazy power u cant use either its actually smoother feeling then the cbr954 which feels much slower.....i can wheelie the same with either bike but the cbr needs the clutch to come up easier where as the r1 is just a little flick of the throttle and comes up perfect and u dont need to clutch it even at 110-120mph! since 2nd gear goes almost140 and u can pull it up in 3rd easy too which u dont even think about with the cbr954....when it comes to handling i felt much more confident with the r1 never worried about a turn or changing lines where i feel like i need to be prefect with the cbr954 since the bike lets u know when u f-up.....when it comes to fit and finish they are both very nice bikes and i would say its what u like...i did like the undertail exhaust on the r1 but it doesnt make the bike a better bike cause of it.....insurance was cheaper with the r1 too....i got low 30's mpg with the r1 and 38mpg with cbr954...the cbr is not as comfy either...i can put 400miles no problem with the r1 and at 250-300miles i'm sore with the cbr954...if u never had a liter bike then u'll love either bike and its not like i dont like the cbr954 its just clear that the 04 r1 is the better choice but u might pay more....i hope this helps

Old 10-15-2006, 05:08 PM

Ok, I don't mean to be unkind, but must offer another view:

I bought my 2003 954 RR in July 03. I was deployed in Dec 03 until Mar 05. I currently have 21, 800 miles on my RR. Complete the simple math and we end up at 900 miles a month average. Specifically, I rode 1,200 miles in 4 days from SoCal to Napa Valley in 03', 2,100 miles in 5 days from SoCal to Grand Junction, CO, The Four Coners & Lake Havasu in 05. The rest of the rides were on weekends and holidays averaging 2-300 miles at a time.

IMHO: My 2003 954 RR is a superlative bike in all regards. I ride twisites/canyons, flat land, Super-slab and rural highways. I have not broke down once, returned early from only on ride due to mechanical difficulties and choose to keep my 954 because it fits me so well. And despite what most people say, my 954 is really comfortable (or the padded leathers I wear are worth evey dime).

Bottom line: Find a bike that you like, that you are comfortable with and that you can afford. Everybody has different preferences and experiences.

BTW, my best friend and riding buddy owns a 2005 R1 and he swears by it. Good for him too.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 AM

ORIGINAL: linkandcuff

hi there...i might be the perfect guy to talk too..haha...i had a 05 r1 last year which i think had no changes from the 04 model but the bike was awesome...so much power and tons of midrange...it handle great and was pretty comfy...i ended up t-boning a car that pulled out without looking and it took a year to settle but when i decided to buy another bike i came across a 03 cbr954 for 5500 and i went for it since it was a good price...i didnt like the bike at first but its a nice bike and now with 2000+miles on it i do like it...but u wanna know how they compare and here is what i think...power goes hands down not even close to the R1...and its not a crazy power u cant use either its actually smoother feeling then the cbr954 which feels much slower.....i can wheelie the same with either bike but the cbr needs the clutch to come up easier where as the r1 is just a little flick of the throttle and comes up perfect and u dont need to clutch it even at 110-120mph! since 2nd gear goes almost140 and u can pull it up in 3rd easy too which u dont even think about with the cbr954....when it comes to handling i felt much more confident with the r1 never worried about a turn or changing lines where i feel like i need to be prefect with the cbr954 since the bike lets u know when u f-up.....when it comes to fit and finish they are both very nice bikes and i would say its what u like...i did like the undertail exhaust on the r1 but it doesnt make the bike a better bike cause of it.....insurance was cheaper with the r1 too....i got low 30's mpg with the r1 and 38mpg with cbr954...the cbr is not as comfy either...i can put 400miles no problem with the r1 and at 250-300miles i'm sore with the cbr954...if u never had a liter bike then u'll love either bike and its not like i dont like the cbr954 its just clear that the 04 r1 is the better choice but u might pay more....i hope this helps

By no means am I trying to knock you but WOW, maybe you should of bought another R1 than the 954....I've never seen so many negitive points about the 954!

Old 10-16-2006, 03:21 PM

ur right i should've bought another R1...not that i dont like the cbr954 but i'm just comparing the 2....lets be honest all the new liter bikes are awesome even the worse one of the bunch...but i gave a honest opinnon even if it means talking the bike i own now down...but go try them out and see what u like and go from there either way u'll like it....i think they are all reliable for the most part...i've seen a few newer gsxr's have problems but i never owned one so i couldnt say if they are good.....some people say the cbr954 is very comfy even though most people dont think so...i'm sure a aftermarket seat could take care of most of it.

Old 10-17-2006, 04:17 AM

Well I dont have a 954, I have a 929 but I have rode an 05 R1. I agree hands down the R1 has alot of power and very comfortable. felt like a caddy of sport bikes, smooth, gears shift like butter, and I rolled the throttle to WOT and shifted through the gears and felt like I was doing 120ish and look down and Holy $#!+ 160mph. Now the 929 has a lot of torque and is hard to keep the front end down in first and will keep up with the R1 but in the higher gears dont think you will be able to beat an R1. On the other hand If you want to get into alot of wheelies I would recommend the 954/929 They are heavier and will take more abuse than the R1.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:02 PM

ORIGINAL: linkandcuff

a 05 r1[sm=smiley20.gif],awesome bike-i would hope that its performance exceeds a 54,since it is a newer design
if you take/use what is available to bring the 54 up into more modern specs,it could take down a 05 r1
with out problem-main problem is suspension-depending on rider-the 54/29 is alot easier to sort out
and solve handling problems than a r1-just depends how far you want to get involved with mods
(older vs newer)both are outstanding bikes.
as for power against r1,gsxr,zx(newer models)i cant speak for all 54 owners,but if i want more hp i am going to get
it-130ish hp is plenty for a sportbike that carries l/plates!!!!
your view is correct of the r1(05-06)-you just need to open the tool box and use it to get the same out of the 54
-also i am glad you got a 54 instead[sm=smiley20.gif]
o8
hope all that typing worked-i hate typing
[sm=icon_guiness.gif]
[sm=hiya.gif]

Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 AM

thanks guys for all the input i really appreciate all the info you all have gave me i think im going with the 954 and throw some mods on like the pcIII and and a pipe to bring the hp up i rode both the bikes today and the r1 has tons of hp and the 954 is no slouch either i think with some mods the 954 will be a great bike for me im a bigger guy 6' 230 and i felt like the 954 had a little more substance the r1 felt a little sqwelly like an army tank to a army humvee and for me thats what i look for and also the 954 was rather comfortable and so was the r1 but i hear alot of people say the 954 is very uncomfortable so thanks again