CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

cam chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam chain tensioner

I'm noticing a ticking noise that I think is my cam chain tensioner. I've heard of a lot of these going out on Hondas. Last year it would go away after the bike warmed up, but now it seems to be constant. Anyway, I was wondering who bought one where and for how much. Any advice?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Default RE: cam chain tensioner

hey bud...i just replaced mine...bikebandit.com i think it was 74 shipped...not the easiest to replace..and ya....that sounds like what mine did before i changed it. like a slappin chain under the tank.....ticking and all...take off the right fairing and the tank...and its right near where a frame slider would go.....its 2 bolts...i believe....not to easy to get to...you need some small hands..thats why i had one of my birdie friends do it. once out....place new one in and it will adjust itself....note....get the stock automatic one...dont get the manual unless you know what ur doing....its a pain in the **** from what i hear...

Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 PM

I was planning on doing a manual one just because I've heard it'll go again. I'll think it over. Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I plan to be installing an APE manual tensioner here in a few hours, I'll let ya know what i think

Old 06-02-2007, 09:08 PM

ya///tk let me know how it goes..i heard its a pain in the ***...but it will last longer...but i was not about to try it on my bike..maybe on a yam or a kiwi...cause the parts are cheap...wait...so are the bikes

Old 06-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Still havent done the install, lazy kicked in, going to do it now, will post agian late tonite.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

OK got it done, took bout hour total time (bear in mind im mechanicaly inclined, and have a large assortment of tools). It is a pretty tight working area for sure, prop tank, remove airbox, and i just loosened the right fairing, you will have to unplug 2 sensors and the main wire harness holder from the inside of frame. From there its a couple of 8mm bolts to remove and reinstall. I went to snug on the new one and fired bike, when clicking went away i tightened a quarter turn and reassembled. All in all i would say its a 5 on a 1-10 scale of toughness (just because of tight working area) and pretty straight forward. If you need a tool list or anything like that post up or pm me and i can give ya a better write up.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:19 AM

i believe at the top of the main page theres a picture and step by step post of replacing the factory cam chain tension with a manual cct, i think its in how to just go threw it and its a good post to follow.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:28 AM

tk...lol you found out was a bitch too huh? you almost need small carny hands...

Old 06-05-2007, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: pimpncbr954s

i believe at the top of the main page theres a picture and step by step post of replacing the factory cam chain tension with a manual cct, i think its in how to just go threw it and its a good post to follow.
I can't find it anywhere. Am I stupid or can others find it? I'm willing to accept either option.

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner