CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

BIKE HEIGHT CHANGE??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BIKE HEIGHT CHANGE??

where can i get a stock "dogbone" and how much? is that the traingle looking peice with the 3 bolts in it?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not the triangle its the piece the triangle is connected to

well with with the one you have I believe one of the three setting is the stock height setting.

now on the picture you posted with the triangle

you see the triangle and this stick with a hole passing through it with the hole on the left

there are three holes

yours is in the middle hole if you move it to the right hole

you will have two holes on the left and you would be in third hole

the farthest to the right and that should raise it back to stock height.

the good news is someone else already did the hard part of installing the dog bone

you and a friend should be able to get it back to stock height no problem!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM

how do i take the tension off of the dogbone to get the bolt out of it? i unscrewed the bolt on the side of it. but its very hard to pull the bolt out... how do i support the dogbone? or whatever it is i need to support to get the bolt out? thanks alot.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

To do this job you will want to have a friend or 2 around, especially if you are going to do the front also. Just have a guy or 2 lift up the tail a bit while you pull the bolt and reinsert into the proper hole. If you dont have friends then a couple of ratchet straps and ceiling joices are going to be your best bet.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM

well even with the swingarm off the ground it seems very tight. should i just use a deadblow hammer and punch it out the other side? it seems just as hard to get the bolt out while the bike is on the stand then it does with the bike off the ground?

i just didnt want to pull that bolt out and not be able to move the triangle peice to the other hole, or have the weight of the bike come down and me not be able to get the bolt in any of the holes

Old 05-16-2008, 08:12 PM

There's a balance point that the bolt should come out with minimal force at. It should be at some happy medium point between fully weighted and fully extended. In other words, hang it from a ceiling joist with straps around the pegs and frame if possible, then have a friend (or use some 2x10's stacked incrementally) raise the rear wheel a board at a time until the bolt comes out easy.

Don't force it too much, but worse case scenario you can persuade it slowly with a plastic faced hammer. Be careful not to shred the threads of the bolt doing this.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 PM

well hanging it from the celing is out of the question, dont have good enough straps, a good spot to do it... if i cut 2, 2X4's equal length and long enough so that me and a buddy can lift the back up and put the 2x4's up under the swing arm, basically working as a bike stand.. wouldnt that work? i tried it, but it still didnt seem to want to come out real easy...

Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM

Well here is the link I put in my bike last week. Hopefully it'll help clarify a bit. It's a little cleaner than the otehr picture.

Name:  P5210104.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  28.5 KB
Name:  P5210103.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  29.2 KB
wildcard

Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 PM

And I believe we we "tapped"it with the butt end of a screwdriver as it seemed to have been bound up with crud. Your bike looks as though it may have been bound up by weather elements too, so you might have to tap it with something to get it broke free. After that it should be fairly easy to remove and reinstall the other bone. I definately reccomend having someone there to help. Mine was strapped to a rafter, although there are other ways to do it, but working smarter and safer are definately above working harder!

wildcard

Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: TMcNally954

here are the pics, hope they help

ok while we are at this ride height how do u guys move the suspencions couple clicks up + with out the little wrench that u get with the bike??? ( i am talking about the 1st picture)

Quick Reply: BIKE HEIGHT CHANGE??