CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   anyone else have this problem?? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/anyone-else-have-problem-92100/)

nedrgn954 04-23-2009 10:32 PM

anyone else have this problem??

just wanted to get some feedback on my bike burning fuel to rich..to the point that the exhuast burns your eyes and ive had to change plugs twice in the past 3 months...just wondering if any of you guys have this problem and do you think a k&n would help lean it out to solve this problem a bit?..keep in mind i o not have a pc and the bike is stock all but the jardine can

apcycles 04-23-2009 10:40 PM

power commander

i think u have to get a power commander since u have an aftermarket can on it. i have a jardine can too and have the same issue. i am looking for a power commander to slap on mine and get it on dyno to see.

theskater101388 04-28-2009 10:03 PM

my '03 is like that too. it spits out black dots like unburned fuel. i cant even ride it if im goin somewhere nice or to school cuz i smell like straight gas when i get off. i wish i could solve the problem but i have no clue what to do. i got a k&n filter and a slip-on. i had a power commander installed with the map that came with it that matched my upgrades but when i took it off i didnt notice any difference at all so im just keepin the PC off. just one less things to worry about goin wrong. its probably the only thing i absolutely hate about this bike.

Conrice 04-29-2009 01:59 PM

do you have a temp (infrared) gun? or do you know someone who does? if you do or if you go buy one (like $30), aim it at each header pipe and make sure all of the cylinders are running. one of the header pipes will be 150 -200 degrees cooler than the other ones.

you jardine can should have made you run LEAN, not rich.

you've replaced the spark plugs and it hasnt fixed the problem, which leads me to think that you should check the leads. run your bike, then pull the plugs, and see if there is a dark ring around the bottom (to see if you're close to fouling the plug) on one of the plugs. that could mean that that particular cylinder is not running which would be causing what youre describing.

Buy a PCIII anyways, it'll make your bike last longer, run more efficient, and get the right amount of power it should be getting.

scuzmuz 05-05-2009 12:20 AM

Check your spark plugs. If #1,4 are fouled you probably have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Fuel will get by the diaphragm and into the vacuum lines off the throttle bodies.

Coomers 05-06-2009 06:08 AM

I have the same problem with black spots coming out of the exhaust; in addition my bike won’t idle below 3000 RPM. This may be all related. Is there a way to test the fuel pressure regulator? The bike runs strong and is stock other than a Micron can.

scuzmuz 05-07-2009 10:02 AM

You can pull those vacuum lines with the bike running to see if there is fuel in them.

james954 05-15-2009 06:52 AM

i also have that problem below 3000 once i run the bike its fine. I was told the plugs should be replaced and i just found out the filter is old so when i do that this weekend ill let yall know

theskater101388 05-15-2009 10:28 AM

i got black stuff spitting out of my exhaust too. i have tried a power commander with the map that matches my bikes upgrades, and that didnt do anything to the point of me turning the trims to like 5% leaner on top of the recommended map installed, so i just pulled it out so i can have the bike back to stock other than a K&N and slip-on and have on less factor that can be affecting the bike. i wish i could find a solution already. for some reason i thought i was running rich which might be part of it but at second glance it actually seems like i am spitting out OIL, and not just unburned fuel.
- bikes only got like 12k miles.
- i replaced the plus with new Iridiums, and they fouled out after about 300 miles, so i had to take them all out and clean them again.

any more suggestions?

nikos 05-15-2009 07:49 PM

I'm assuming the first thing you checked was for codes (the FI light in your dash would come on). If any of your sensors was bad (mass air flow, O2, etc) were bad, that could be causing you to run rich. If you do have codes popping up, you can check that by jumping a couple pins on a connector under the rider's seat. You can find more information in the service manual, which you can get from a sticky in the 954 homepage if you don't have it already.

Another odd possibility, make sure you are using high octane fuel. If you are running lower, the knock sensor (I'm assuming the 954 has one) would make it run rich to avoid predetonation.

Next, is your bike running at normal operating temps (~180F). If not, it would continue to run very rich as it is in choke mode. This could happen from a bad thermostat.

That's all I can think of right now... Good luck!