CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Advice.... About to buy an 03 954

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice.... About to buy an 03 954

I'm looking at an 03 954 later today and "think" I want it. It has just under 24k miles, has a pipe, fender eliminator, flush mounted lights, and price is going to land between $3500-3750. Cosmetically IMO from pics it is very clean. A few very minor scratches. And the part that scares me.... A "small" oil leak around the stator cover...
Now the BAD part..... I'm 40 years old, 6'02" 230#.... this is my first street bike. I rode dirt bikes as a kid so I know the difference in a brake and clutch, but little experience on the street.... Death wish or not??? And does this price sound fair? Originally I was looking at 600's until I found this deal....Thanks in advance for any comments!

Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i wouldn't. stay with a 600 if it's your first street bike. and unless you know exactly what you're doing mechanically, stay away. and if you haven't ridden since your younger years - the dirt doesn't count anymore.

my uncle who was around your age got back on a bike after riding bikes during college - 20 miles in he got scared and endo'ed over the front bars riding under 20mph - 2 broken collar bones, messed up shoulder, broken arm. he had to wear an elevated stationary cast for both arms for 3 mo.

that doesn't mean you can't learn how to ride on a big bike, it's just you learn more on smaller bikes quicker. and the odds sure aren't against you as much as they would be on a 954

Last edited by Conrice; 03-18-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Chuckie! I know you from the motohouston forums. I'm 1308cc. Ideally you should start on a smaller bike. I saw that bike on Craiglsist. What I don't like:
Mileage, these can last forever, but I have seen plenty with less than 15K miles, and are a lot cleaner.
Oil leak. Really? If it wasn't laid down, then it leaks because of neglect or abuse. I don't like neglected or abused bikes.
It also has a ghetto rigged HTEV. Why do people F#$k with them? They work great and rigging them open serves no purpose. Plus they are expensive to replace. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm real particular about my bikes and I don't like the other mods done on that bike. If I had to buy that bike it's a $3000 bike tops. Shoot I paid $3500 for my absolutley mint 9400 mile 954 last October and it came with tons of worthwhile extras(brand new Scott's Steering Damper, new Yosh exhaust, power commander, stainless brake lines, fresh fluids, frame sliders, etc.) not hokey ghetto rigging. If it's worth it to you, awesome. I'm sure the things I mentioned can be fixed.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:03 AM

You are ABSOLUTELY right starfire!!!! That bike has been beat down!!!!! I rode it in the neighborhood and when he took it out of the garage & "warmed it up"... He rode it 20 feet & stood it up. Prolly got 1/2 it's miles on 1 wheel!! I looked at another one on CL.... Guy selling one of "2bikes" the 954 & a newer 1000, and it is SUPER CLEAN with 8000mi. & can get it for $4300. It is owned by a youngster but he couldn't afford full coverage insurance. Sooooo it may have been risen hard sometimes but def. not beat to death!!!! I know you were somewhat supportive on motohouston so I wanted to get more opinions from guys with big bikes. My biggest problem is I will not have an upgrading option later. If I finish the battle with the wife on this one, that's it for a looooong while!!! :-/. Thanks for the support and info.!!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bigchuckie
You are ABSOLUTELY right starfire!!!! That bike has been beat down!!!!! I rode it in the neighborhood and when he took it out of the garage & "warmed it up"... He rode it 20 feet & stood it up. Prolly got 1/2 it's miles on 1 wheel!! I looked at another one on CL.... Guy selling one of "2bikes" the 954 & a newer 1000, and it is SUPER CLEAN with 8000mi. & can get it for $4300. It is owned by a youngster but he couldn't afford full coverage insurance. Sooooo it may have been risen hard sometimes but def. not beat to death!!!! I know you were somewhat supportive on motohouston so I wanted to get more opinions from guys with big bikes. My biggest problem is I will not have an upgrading option later. If I finish the battle with the wife on this one, that's it for a looooong while!!! :-/. Thanks for the support and info.!!!!
Yeah, that red one on CL is mint. I'd take that one.

Somewhat supportive, lol.

Last edited by Starfire954; 03-19-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:16 AM

As long as your cautious and ride within your limits I wouldn't be worried about starting on a 954. My first street bike was a 900rr, now I'm rocking the 954, just take it easy and keep the rubber on the pavement!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:44 AM

That second one sounds like a good bike, but I would put 3800 cash in front of his face and see if he takes it. I paid 3700 for my 02 with 9400 miles back in 2010. You can definitely learn on a larger bike, but the 954 is not very forgiving. This thing is a beast so be careful or she can be a real b^#ch. The good news is that it will last you forever with decent maintenance. I say ride it and let the grin from ear to ear on your face make the decision!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 Conrice....first street bike. No saying it's impossible..just saying better be safe. And if going for a bigger liter bike, try getting one as stock as possible and importantly never down. Then you the mods yourself...this way you get to know the bike during modification. When buying one that's all mod ready, where is the fun? Mods ain't worth **** when reselling....to those that think it's worth more...try buying the stock oem ones and replace them. I will never buy a used bike that has been down. Even if seller say it's parking lot drop...that's just me...

Originally Posted by Conrice
i wouldn't. stay with a 600 if it's your first street bike. and unless you know exactly what you're doing mechanically, stay away. and if you haven't ridden since your younger years - the dirt doesn't count anymore.

my uncle who was around your age got back on a bike after riding bikes during college - 20 miles in he got scared and endo'ed over the front bars riding under 20mph - 2 broken collar bones, messed up shoulder, broken arm. he had to wear an elevated stationary cast for both arms for 3 mo.

that doesn't mean you can't learn how to ride on a big bike, it's just you learn more on smaller bikes quicker. and the odds sure aren't against you as much as they would be on a 954

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: language
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Sept. 2011 Ride of the Month

Okay okay.... I'm gonna bite...

YOU SHOULD BUY MINE! yes, its for sale at a competitive price: 2002 honda CBR 954 RR 954RR

It's clean... a former award winner -haha- and is a victim of me just wanting something new after 7 yrs of ownership.

Shameless plug on my part? Yep.. sorry!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:15 AM

As i have said before, what a lovely bike, if that were in the UK it would sell almost instantly and for a lot more than is being asked for over the pond. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Advice.... About to buy an 03 954