CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 upper cowl (nose) (front)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 upper cowl (nose) (front)

hello all. I am asking everyone if they either have know or could keep a look out for a upper nose cowl for the 954. im looking for one with no cracks. i have one now but i got really bad stress cracks below the mirror for the second time. i am replacing the supports and the cowl. again im looking for one with no cracks. idc about scratches stickers paint. w.e lol. o yea. no none oem holes either . Thanks andddddd either post here or pm me if you can help. the ones on ebay are exactly what im looking for.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You're not running one of those aftermarket fairing stays are you?

Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014

I will have my Chinese fairing but the mounts are glued on since it was not injection molded. Let me know if you are interested.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
You're not running one of those aftermarket fairing stays are you?
<br />
<br />
conrice. I personally dont know if it is or not. when I bought the bike I had a feeling either the front fairing or the stay bracket was aftermarket. I looked on the inside of the fairing when taking it off and the oem stamp is deffinatly on it. im thinking one if not bith things happened it may have been replaced with an aftermarket one and its not a perfect fit orr I know for a fact before I had it it had been knocked over so it may be bent as is. before I had the custom paint done I had it repaired and now it is cracked in the same spot. which is going to cost me about 700$ ( including some other work .. so instead of just repainting and having the problem again I am going to replace both with oem. any advice of injection molded fairings compared to oem ? I will most likely still go oem

Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR
I will have my Chinese fairing but the mounts are glued on since it was not injection molded. Let me know if you are interested.
<br />
<br />
no thanks man. I wanna dtay away from those issues as I will be putting artwork on them and it tends to add up when a little mount breaks

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmobbins101
any advice of injection molded fairings compared to oem ? I will most likely still go oem
The problem is that plastic is just like alloys. Even though it's all ABS plastic - there are different amounts of materials in it - similar to alloys, like 2000 series vs 6000 series. The ABS injected molded plastics are still not as good as the OEM plastics even though they're injection molded and ABS plastic, IMHO.

The reason I ask about the aftermarket fairing stay is that even though the companies swear up and down that it's the exact same dimensions as the the OEM fairing stay - it's sold as a "beefier" stay, and it's bigger in certain spots. So much to where it doesn't fit quite as well as the OEM and could easily cause those stress cracks.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Conrice
The problem is that plastic is just like alloys. Even though it's all ABS plastic - there are different amounts of materials in it - similar to alloys, like 2000 series vs 6000 series. The ABS injected molded plastics are still not as good as the OEM plastics even though they're injection molded and ABS plastic, IMHO.

The reason I ask about the aftermarket fairing stay is that even though the companies swear up and down that it's the exact same dimensions as the the OEM fairing stay - it's sold as a "beefier" stay, and it's bigger in certain spots. So much to where it doesn't fit quite as well as the OEM and could easily cause those stress cracks.
My new plastics will be injection molded and I had seen the reviews of people who had put them on their bikes. Them being slightly flimsier than OEM was a common comment but as far as fit and finish they were compared to be almost exactly like OEM. These are the reviews from the company I will be going with for my new plastics and I have not really seen reviews from other companies. Since I only found my style in injection molding through this company it is the only company I have researched. Even used OEM pieces are overpriced and that is the reason I am going with injection molding.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:43 PM

Nothing wrong with that. The repsol fairings that I had were injection molded and ABS, but were thicker and stiffer than OEM. That sounds good on the surface, but it's not. They vibrate more causing the paint to crack and the tabs aren't as flimsy, so they often break easier.

If the only downside is that they are flimsier than OEM - I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. I see that as a wash/benefit.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM

im trying to avkid all the damage. its about 400 each time I need it painted from cracks so 200 extra for the oem fairing is nothing cpmared to getting it fixed and paint 5 times lol. thanks for everyones input

Old 11-24-2013, 10:06 AM

I've got an OEM headlight fairing but I reside in Australia and I'm guessing u r in the US of A?