CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 Starting Problem

OK, here's the deal:

Problem:
The bike cranks and cranks, but will not turn over. If I keep cranking the starter for long enough, it will eventually start, although occasionally the battery has died before that occurred. Before and after starting, the bike runs perfectly.

ONLY Happens under the following condition:
The bike IS above 210F or has been within the past 20min. I stop, usually for fuel, then try starting within 15min. Happens only in the summer.

What's Non-Stock:
[ul][*]Devil Shotgun aftermarket slip-on[*]Air-Flapper in Intake Box Removed[*]PCIIIr (Doesn't Matter What Map I Use)
[ul][*]Doesn't matter what map I use[*]Has been custom mapped and dynoed[/ul][/ul] I was wondering if it could be the fuel pressure regulator. There are no unusual noises. I have had the full 16k service done since this started happening. The problem is super limited, although it is terribly annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep in mind that the bike runs perfect before I stop it and prefect once I finally get it started. There are no weird noises, smells, or leaking fluid when I am having this problem.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Default RE: 954 Starting Problem

check the ignition switch and make sure that you do not have any wires close to the exhaust that are being heated to much and also check plugs and wires....

Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what reg maintence have u performed.. first thing is plugs and coils

Old 06-22-2007, 01:03 AM

like stated above check ur plugs, then move to fuel flow.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM

bobjoe i am not an idiot...i know you think i am one...but i said the same thing as you did and your still on my case...i just gave him a few more options...

Old 06-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

well first of alll..... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT........ i asked him what reg maintenced he has performed and then i agreed.... only i said coils cause thats what they are .... wow

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM

I had the same problem. When the bike was hot it would not start, but you can push start the bike and it works fine? Well, with my bike it was in the shop for almost 3 weeks. The dealer could not figure out the problem, and it went all the way to having a technician from Honda going out to the dealer to look at the bike. The Tech. never heard of the problem and sent back a report to the dealer providing them with a list of parts to start replacing. The idea was they would replace the entire starting system one piece at a time, retesting after each new part was install. Sooner or later they would find the problem. It turned out there was a component in the starter that was shorting out when the bike was hot. If your shop can not find the problem tell them to talk to the shop at the Redlands, CA Honda/Yamaha dealer. I'm sure they have not forgotten my bike and would be able to point your guys in the right direction. [/align]

Let me know if this helps.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: ssrdrifter

I had the same problem. When the bike was hot it would not start, but you can push start the bike and it works fine? Well, with my bike it was in the shop for almost 3 weeks. The dealer could not figure out the problem, and it went all the way to having a technician from Honda going out to the dealer to look at the bike. The Tech. never heard of the problem and sent back a report to the dealer providing them with a list of parts to start replacing. The idea was they would replace the entire starting system one piece at a time, retesting after each new part was install. Sooner or later they would find the problem. It turned out there was a component in the starter that was shorting out when the bike was hot. If your shop can not find the problem tell them to talk to the shop at the Redlands, CA Honda/Yamaha dealer. I'm sure they have not forgotten my bike and would be able to point your guys in the right direction. [/align]

Let me know if this helps.
So they just replaced the starter? I have had something like this happen to me, but I thought it was the alarm I had on the bike.... I took the alarm off and haven't had the issue again, but it didn't happen often anyway so...

Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 AM

sounds like a battery problem...but hell i dont know take it to the dealer and let them figure it out

Old 06-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: joey954rr

sounds like a battery problem...but hell i dont know take it to the dealer and let them figure it out
sounds like u dont know a hell of a lot

Quick Reply: 954 Starting Problem