CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 low fuel light

Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 954 low fuel light

My beloved 03 954 has served me well for 7 years without a hiccup. It has 38K miles, and has the original chain and sprockets. Valves have always been in spec. Is it an exciting performer to say the least, wicked fast for this 68 year old sportbike enthusiast. I pride myself on regular oil changes and maintenance and a smooth style of riding. Obviously I love Honda quality.
One issue has cropped up, that is the low fuel light comes on and stays on even with a full tank. any ideas out there? A loose connection or bad fuse would suggest a no light situation. Is there a fuel level sensor in the tank which could be causing the problem?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have my wiring diagram with me but, if I recall it should have a wire next to the fuel pump.I have to look at my wiring diagram to double check.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:48 PM

mine does the same thing- never have found the problem...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:08 PM

FUEL RESERVE SENSOR
INSPECTION:

Turn the ignition switch in ON and make sure the
fuel reserve indicator comes ON .
If the fuel reserve indicator does not indicate properly,
check for the following .
Disconnect the fuel reserve sensor 3P (Black) connector.
Short the wire harness side connector Brown/Black
and Green/Black terminals with a jumper wire .
Turn the ignition switch is ON and make sure the
fuel reserve indicator comes ON .
If the indicator come ON, replace the fuel pump
assembly.
If the indicator still not come ON, check for open or
short circuit in wire harness .

That came from my 929 manual, so whatever it is, i guess it has to do with the fuel pump.

Last edited by Atieri; 08-25-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Thank you for your input. I am away from home at present. I will check the service manual for my 954 when I return for more info.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Is this problem an indication of a failed or failing fuel pump assembly? or does it only affect the sending unit for the reserve light?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Buy A bottle of Chevron Techron at your nearest auto parts store, Advance Autoparts, if you have one near you, usually has great deals on this stuff, and it say it fixes faulty fuel gauges caused by old gas and sulfur deposits that occur in gas.This stuff is all I use as a fuel system cleaner, and it works every time, unlike all the others that are available.I usually buy the 12 ounce bottle and mix it in a 5 gallon gas can filled. The fuel pump is mounted under and inside the gas tank like in a car, and something attached to it tells you when you have about a quarter tank left.I'm willing to bet the Techron will solve your problem.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Atieri
Buy A bottle of Chevron Techron at your nearest auto parts store, Advance Autoparts, if you have one near you, usually has great deals on this stuff, and it say it fixes faulty fuel gauges caused by old gas and sulfur deposits that occur in gas.This stuff is all I use as a fuel system cleaner, and it works every time, unlike all the others that are available.I usually buy the 12 ounce bottle and mix it in a 5 gallon gas can filled. The fuel pump is mounted under and inside the gas tank like in a car, and something attached to it tells you when you have about a quarter tank left.I'm willing to bet the Techron will solve your problem.
I tried this months ago to no avail...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM

i have an 03 954 with 20,000 or so miles very well taken care of with the same prob .it did not start untill i moved to florida , in nc you can get 100 octane at the pumps so every now and then ill mix a couple of gal of 100oct in with the 93 ,here in florida i think its a combo of bad gas and being caught in the rain so many times.bought an octane boost from cycle gear and that seemed to have solved the prob no i try to gas up with whrer i know the gas is good

Old 06-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Default same issue on my 02 954

So i know im waking up an old forum but i recently started having the same issue with my 02 954... Did anybody ever figure out what the issue was by chance?? I recently started practicing my wheelies, got it painted so wasnt sure if either of these contributed or if it was just a coincidence?
I saw the instructions up above but when i see jumping wires and things to do with electrical i quiver a little lol.
Any help or suggestions that will be straight forward would help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 954 low fuel light