CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 a good starter bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Meh this whole subject is like screaming at the rain.

Someone will swear they've done it so the newb can do it too. They refuse to accept the pure luck involved in their learning to ride a larger bike. And I'm not just talking about the luck that comes into play when they slipped the rear and didn't lowside.

The pure luck of the genetic draw. They don't acknowledge they got lucky when they were born. Born with better balance, awareness, reflexes and other innate characteristics that most people simply don't have. Most people can learn those characteristics to some degree with experience and practice.

But simply put someone like Valentino Rossi was born better suited for riding a motorcycle than I was. I'm not flawed or broken. I, like most normal humans, have to take things slower than he on a motorcycle to remain safe
True, and ALL the MotoGP and AMA boys n girls started out... you guessed it small n worked their way up. Grant it it they when they were small too.

What I find funny is riders who say they started out on or jumped up to a 1k within the first year or so who swear they can ride the snot out of it, yet they have chicken strips they size of the Grand Canyon, ride less than 1k a year, n then post up asking some of the noobish questions Iever seen.

Can it be done? yes. Has it been done? yes. but its like 1 in million that dont go down, crash, or worse.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=PlayfulGod;955061]True, and ALL the MotoGP and AMA boys n girls started out... you guessed it small n worked their way up. Grant it it they when they were small too.

What I find funny is riders who say they started out on or jumped up to a 1k within the first year or so who swear they can ride the snot out of it, yet they have chicken strips they size of the Grand Canyon, ride less than 1k a year, n then post up asking some of the noobish questions Iever seen.

Can it be done? yes. Has it been done? yes. but its like 1 in million that dont go down, crash, or worse.[/quote

"chicken strips they size of the Grand Canyon" ......... lol

Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

[quote=hparker619;955069]
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
True, and ALL the MotoGP and AMA boys n girls started out... you guessed it small n worked their way up. Grant it it they when they were small too.

Can it be done? yes. Has it been done? yes. but its like 1 in million that dont go down, crash, or worse.[/quote

"chicken strips they size of the Grand Canyon" ......... lol
you know this has no point the bottom line is if you wanna ride a 954 or 1000 to start out on have at it it's you're *** not mine....... why not just start on a hayabusa or a zx14 ?????
if you wreck it don't say anything about it because the ppl in here all think alike start with a 600 ,500 ,250 and i'm with them !!!!!!!

but i do have 1 ????? is it about the ( speed ) you are looking for ?????

Old 08-08-2010, 02:03 PM

I'm not sure what your laws are like, but in the UK, we have to follow the following paths.

Age 16 - 50cc scooter
Age 17 - 125cc (1 day Compulsary Basic Training, then you're allowed to ride a 125 with no more than 14bhp display red L's front and rear, and are not allowed on motorways). After passing both theory test, and 2 part practical (1 slow maneuvers, and other on road test. You can then ride any capacity of bike so long as it is no more than 33bhp or is restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. After 2 years your license becomes unrestricted allowing ANY bike to be ridden.

Age 21+ - (Direct Access Scheme) If you take the 2 part practical test on a 500cc bike of a minimum of approx 45bhp then you skip the 2 year restriction period, allowing you to ride any bike immediately after passing your test. You can NOT ride a 500cc machine on the road without display red L's front and rear, and also be followed by a Direct Access qualified instructor with radio communication.

So even for UK riders, they've had quite a bit of training and experience even if they jump to a litre bike within 6 months. I started on a 125 to run about on, then I did a Direct Access Scheme and bought the CBR600F2, After about 6 months I'm looking to get a 94 blade. It may be intimidating, but with good training and a sensible mind, I don't see the problems.

However, if you guys over the pond, can jump on a litre sports bike with no training or experience, this seems to be asking for an accident. I regularly see posts asking about braking mid turn, avoiding hazards etc. This is all taught on the UK before you are able to ride a motorcycle on a public road unsupervised. We are sticklers for health and safety over, but sometimes it does make sense.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Pennsylvania Mommy & Daddy can buy you a 'busa and you can get a learner's permit at 16 so longer as they sign off on it.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Here in Pennsylvania Mommy & Daddy can buy you a 'busa and you can get a learner's permit at 16 so longer as they sign off on it.
glad i don't live in the uk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but maybe thats what some ppl here need ........ one kid i know got an r6 and is trying to run with me and my brother he has had it maybe 3 months only bike he has ever been on ........ my brother and i have always had motorcycles

Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 AM

I'll take it a step further and say - don't buy a full on sportsbike (made in the last ten years!) as your first bike.

They are too focus & full on and you will certainly not learn as well as if you start with a less focused bike.

My advice would be to get something like a steel frame CBR 600, c1998. Ideal first "proper" bike as it's quite possibly the best all round bike ever built.

It's got power and is pretty quick, but the power delivery is such that it will not bite you if you're not the smoothest - and you won't be, it takes years of practice to become smooth.

It took me 3 years at least.

Sportsbikes from the last ten years whether they are 600's or litres have enough power to kill you and they often do not suffer fools.

Make your mistakes on something thats less likely to be the end of you.

Also if you get a cheap, older bike WHEN you drop it you won't cry so much.

If you're dead set on a litre, I'd consider a Firestorm maybe, but smaller is better.

One more piece of advise - don't be afraid to be slow, and don't try to keep up with the guy in front - he may not really be in control

Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM

bahh rules rules rules. just because some people start out on 250's doesn't mean the rest of the planet needs to follow.

many have said start on a 600 and swear that this is the right cc to start out on. others say no way, 600cc wayyyy too much go 250. other say start on a moped.

I wouldn't push anyone to do what I did. I started on a 954, I'm enjoying it, I dont race the bike, so to me it doesn't matter weather i started on a 954 or a 250. As long as they can go highway speeds then it's great.

I chose the 954 because of all the great things I read about this bike, and... got a super deal on one.

Being a newbie and all, one thing that I can stress is taking a motorcycle course. I learned a lot from that course and I still take some one-on-one classes, i'm learning more and more about my bike and how it handles.

By the way, in motorcycle school I actually learned on a 125 cc cbr. what a fun little bike! almost bought one!

Old 08-17-2010, 02:31 PM

It is all on the rider...I can't say anything that has not been said, but if you have self control and don't hot dog the bike you will be fine. I think you are as suseptable to getting hurt on a honda ruckus as a 945RR. Just my two cents.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM

I had 3 other bikes including a 600 f3 before I bought my 954. I've been riding for 9 years. The 954 still catches me by suprise at times.

Quick Reply: 954 a good starter bike?