CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 AS A FIRST BIKE??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 AS A FIRST BIKE??

I'm looking to get my first bike and not spend too much money. I know it's smart to start with a 600 and definitelty nothing too powerful, but i cant seem to find a bike of that power in the price i'm looking for. i've found a 2002cbr 954 with 8000 miles for $4000, which i've heard is a pretty good deal...and also the amount of money i'm looking to spend.
Do you all think I should get the 954 as my first bike, or is it really worthing getting a gsx-r 600 or something similar for 7 or $8000?? is this bike too powerful and dangerous to start with? thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 954 AS A FIRST BIKE??

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that this isn't a troll question. (just so you know, that's the no. 1 troll type question because they know it opens up a huge can of worms so no offense) but my answer would be DEFINITELY no. Many even debate if a 600 should ever be a 1st bike (I'm one of them) but anything above that most everyone agrees is nuts .. do a search and you'll see tons of reasons why. Money should not be your 1st priority when making this decision.

Here's a couple of links to get you started (if you're question is serious):

https://cbrforum.com/m_312372/tm.htm
1st Bike Decisions

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM

no this isnt a troll....haha. but that's great info...helps a lot thanks

Old 07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Banned

learn how to ride first...... then worry about what kinda bike you are on..... they are all to fast for a beginner.. be smart

Old 07-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Here we go again......

You'll basically get two answer, 'hell no', and 'it's all in the rider'. I'm shooting more for hell no personally (as always) because I don't think I woulda done well with a 954 as a first bike. But theoretically if you're very conservative, you can learn on a 954. Either way, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, so do it carefully no matter what bike you get. There's a lot of things they don't tell you during the basic rider course (MSF) that you find out the hard way (where gravel tends to lay, white lines are slippery as hell, manhole covers suck, etc). A lot of people dump their bikes within the first couple of months of owning them... FYI.

On that note, bikes are a hell of a lot of fun. Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help!!!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 PM

Hell No!! If I got a 954 for my first bike I would be dead, 100% positive. I dam near killed myself my second year of riding on my 600F2. I was a teenager back then and not very responsible, but a near death accident really gave me a lot more respect for the motorcycle. You have to realize that these machines are super fast, and realistically belong on a race track, not on the street. You have to know that you could very easily be killed any time you get one of these machines. All it takes is for a car to cut you off and your done. Getting on the road for the first time is a scary thing. Going down the freeway next to a tractor trailer is something that scared the **** out of me. I've been riding for 7 years now and still have a lot to learn. I feel comfortable on my 954 but it took a few years to work up to something of this nature. There was a thread maybe a month ago about a guy who got a 954 for his first bike and crashed it in something like 11 days. He looked pretty messed up. Now we are not trying to scare you, we are a community which share a passion for riding. We just don't want to see anyone die because they did something stupid. Maybe think about an F3, F4, or 600 rr. You can probably pick up a lower mileage f3 for 2-3K F-4 3-5k 600 rr 4-7k
Start with a 600 and work your way up. Don't get in over your head!!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

i know a f3 for sale cheap..... let me know....... a little while back i just sold another F3 on this site

Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM

i agree with the no answer. i started on a 600 which wasn't too bad but i took it slow and learned. take a class and learn to ride first then worry botu the bike. no point in getting a bike and you don't know how to ride or how much potential a bike of that size carries.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 AM

I would say no. I owned two street bikes before I bought a crotch rocket (the 954) Several times to avoid deer or cars I had to slam brakes and slid the rear end around. The short wheelbase on a sport bike doesn't like to slide straight forward like a Harley. Also the power is tremendous. If you are turning and goose the throttle at low speed the rear end will slide out. This also happed to my on my 954 after 20k miles on cruisers and it scared the hell out of me.You also need to learn the clutch before you buy a liter bike because if you gas it too much and dump the clutch your gonna loop. As far as the deal I say it is really good. 4K is an awesome deal on that bike so if you have the money spend the 4k on that and spend another 4k on a used suzuki sv 650 to learn how to ride. That way you won't spend the 7-8k on a 600 that you will trade up for a liter bike in a year anyway. Then you can always sell the 650 for close to what you bought it for.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:14 PM

I will say no!!!!!!! I will saya 600 is no starter bike. I would look at the sv650. I know it has more cc's but the power band is alot better and the bike has a great reputation for handling. I have owned 3 600's before going to a 900rr and now a 954rr. I wish I could of started with the 954 but I am glad I was patient. I have been riding for 18 years and will ride for many more. Take it from experience take it slow and ride as much as you can cause seat time makes you better. practice,practice,practice