CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

520 Convertion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 520 Convertion Kit

I went to the shop today cuz my bike, 03 954rr, was making some weird noise from the rear, the dude at the shop said my chain was shot...no idea how cuz I clean it with Motorex Chain Clean 611 and was Lubing it with Chain Guard from Maxima Racing Lubricants both recomended by Cycle Gear here in SoCal! The dude recommended PJ1 Chain Lube, so I got it and put some on when I got home tonight...will see what happens tomorrow when I take it for a spin. Anyway, had to give you some history before presenting my question...He also quoted me at a $160 for a RK 520 Convertion Kit with Gold Chain and $105 to install it and said this is the best thing I can do for my bike! I also called one of the more reputable shops in the area and they said the RK kit was not that great because of the Vortex sprockets not being that durable...they recommended the Driven Kit with Hard Inodize Aluminum<---Not sure how to spell Inodize[&:] and a better sprocket than the RK, and they quoted me at $250 for that kit with a $90 installation charge! My question are: Is this really the best thing I can do for my bike? How is it the best thing for it? Am I going to lose alot of top end? and finally, which kit is the better one or which deal is the best?
I need the most knowledgable members input on this thread please!! Thank you!

Also keep in mind I have a PC3USB here at home ready to be installed along with the 520 Convertion Kit, if I was to do it.

MocosoLoco

Old 06-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Default RE: 520 Convertion Kit

ORIGINAL: mocosoloco
My question are: Is this really the best thing I can do for my bike? How is it the best thing for it? Am I going to lose alot of top end? and finally, which kit is the better one or which deal is the best?
Also keep in mind I have a PC3USB here at home ready to be installed along with the 520 Convertion Kit, if I was to do it.
MocosoLoco
The best thing you can do for your bike is to learn how to put the chain/sprockets/PC3 in yourself. Installation fees are a load of BS. You can easily do these yourself with basic tools and knowledge.

How much mileage is on your bike that would warrant a new chain & sprockets?

If the sprockets are fine, just put another 530 chain on it. You will not really notice a difference with a 520 conversion (unless you drastically change the gearing and screw up your top speed.)

Just use a bolt cutter, or grinder disk to cut off the old chain. The new one should be 104 links with a master link. Just use a pair of vice grips and a small nut to press on the new mater link after the chain is strung through, and press it on evenly with the other links. then get a flat head chisel and mark/cross the front of the master link to flare out the edges (this will keep the link from coming off the chain.)

If you need help, I'm sure someone here can give detailed pictures (me included)

Old 06-14-2006, 06:01 PM

I agree with the DIY method. I wouldnt however agree that the RK unit is a bad choice. I have the RK kit with Vortex sprockets on my bike and they are fine. It saved me 1.2lbs of rotational mass over the stock parts. I went down 1 tooth in front, and yeah, you'll notice a difference. I can only assume this is the kit you are talking about. The "Quick Acceleration Kit". Chain lube? I dont know, it varies, I use Honda chain lube. Works fine. Got 22K out of my origional chain/sprockets. When my chain wore out, the links were kinked and wouldnt straighten out. To see if it's worn out, pull the rear wheel tight, and see if you can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket. I would recommend the 520 myself, but I dont feel the need to peg the speedo, and I dont ride at a track long enough to do it very often. BIR the only one I guess. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

520 converison is a good upgrade, u can get a RK sport chain and vortex chain and sprockets for $139 on ebay, i have bought several kits from them, and this is a better chain, the vortex sprockets are aluminum, so if u are doing alot of wheelies or you like to top out every gear every time, they do wear out a little quicker, but they are just fine for normal riding, also DO IT YOURSELF - i charge people 20 bucks to do it personally, it takes me 30 min... all u need is a chain tool and half a brain.. it's pretty simple, also, the PCIII is pointless and uselss if u do not get a dyno tune or KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING when u hook it up to a laptop and tune it or d load your own maps ( which i dont reccomend) get a custom dyno tune u can gain 1-5 hp from a good tune, and make your throttle so much smoother!, if u do not want to spend alot of money go get a decent 530 chain and call it a day, a good conversion is -1 in front and +2 in rear, which does not limit your top end, but will throw your speedo off, feel free to ask more questions

Old 08-01-2006, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: bobjoezx

520 converison is a good upgrade, u can get a RK sport chain and vortex chain and sprockets for $139 on ebay, i have bought several kits from them, and this is a better chain, the vortex sprockets are aluminum, so if u are doing alot of wheelies or you like to top out every gear every time, they do wear out a little quicker, but they are just fine for normal riding, also DO IT YOURSELF - i charge people 20 bucks to do it personally, it takes me 30 min... all u need is a chain tool and half a brain.. it's pretty simple, also, the PCIII is pointless and uselss if u do not get a dyno tune or KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING when u hook it up to a laptop and tune it or d load your own maps ( which i dont reccomend) get a custom dyno tune u can gain 1-5 hp from a good tune, and make your throttle so much smoother!, if u do not want to spend alot of money go get a decent 530 chain and call it a day, a good conversion is -1 in front and +2 in rear, which does not limit your top end, but will throw your speedo off, feel free to ask more questions
Thank you for the reply!! It took me a while because my chain wasn't all that bad after all, but it did take a dump about a week ago. I finally order a 520 convertion kit through a very reputable shop in the area, I got the -1 in front and +2 in the rear Hard Inodized Aluminum from Driven(black) and a DID ERV3 chain(gold). I did payed a little more then the $139 but price don't really matter to me, I like the comfort of knowing I had a racing profesional shop do the work, plus they match the price that I found online...I thought that was prety cool! I get it install tomorrow, will let you know how it works out!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Banned

GOOD TO HEAR!

Old 08-06-2006, 08:44 AM

I ride to work every day rain hail or shine and do 3-400km per week on average
Anyway I've had excellent results using Motul factory line chain lube in all conditions
I give the chain a good lube and adjust(just as important for long chain life) once a fortnight
and a top up once a week I've done around 22000km and I'll be due to replace the original setup
pretty soon It was interesting to read the comments on 520 conversions as I'm thinking of going
way myself

Old 08-06-2006, 01:00 PM

yea baby...DID chains are the way to go!!!

Old 08-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Its been 3 days since I got the convertion installed, and I got to say, IT IS AWSOME-I LOVE IT!! I find myself going through 1st gear like is not even there, but 2nd gear...now this is like a rocket! I do have questions though...they told me it would throw my speedo way off, but I find myself doing the same RPM's at the same speed from before the convertion, why is this?? Also, last night on the way home from work I hit that second gear nice and hard, but without redlining, and right there the RED warning light came on solid. I was only about a minute away from home so I took it easy from there on, I get home and turn the bike off, turn it back on and the light comes back on and at the same time I notice the FI indicator on the LED came on, and then the light goes off and comes back on...at this point it looked like a pattern, so I started counting...it does 3 solids and 5 quick blinks, what is that and what will need to be done? I do not have a manual, bought it that way. I am schedule to have a full service done tomorrow morning. Any help, like with the 520 Convertion Kit, will be well appreciated!! Thank you all

Oh, almost forgot....I did installed my PC3USB last week Monday, I have a Akropavic slip-on and had to upload the Eiron<----not sure how to spell...map, as recomended by DynoJet. Had not had any problems with it for the last week, it ran better then without the PC. Thought this might help.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:20 PM

if you plan on doing any hard racing i personally had problems running it. i had -1(frt steel) and +2 *rr aluminum) VORTEX sprockets and at the drag strip on night i left at like 7k and the bike went two feet and just revved and made an aweful noise. all the teeth on the rear sprocket were chewed off immediatly. went back to the 530 stuff and havent had any problems... the 954s came stock with 530 chains for a reason. i dont know if anyone else has had this problem with the 520 kit.

-Austin