CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

2nd gear problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2nd gear problems

last week it started ticking too, i think its just had its share of being beat up. its got 34k miles on it and i don't think it was babied much until me so i dunno. I think the tick is my CCT, i'm not sure how much that would cost to fix but other than the 2nd gear problem it also needs a new subframe, it did only have a crack in it until last week i was going down my driveway onto the street and the thing just snapped so now its lopsided, i might get it re-welded if its cheaper to do that but i dunno, i just want a bike thats not got any problems, i've never had a chance to have a bike like that (been riding for almost three years, since i turned 16) so all i've had are used bikes with problems but i just want to have a bike thats never been beat up so i can take care of it and not have to worry about "oh man, time to fix this other guys problems". I know i shouldn't complain because i made the mistake of buying this bike in the first place but honestly i didn't think it would get as bad as its gotten. thanks for telling me i can still ride without worrying about screwing up my transmission any more than it is though.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 AM

your subframe cracked and broke off ?????

wow dude, that sucks, PLEASE post pics - we will be able to help you more when we know what youre working with

gl man, i know EXACTLY] how you feel

Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Sounds like the engagement dog is rounded off on your second gear and the other gear that it engages with. They are like interlocking fat fingers and need to have straight edges so while under the power it is a flat surface against another. But when they get rounded off it is like a slope instead of straight edge and when it gets pressure applied to it, the small around of straight edge can't hold it and it pushes that gear it engages to make you go in second gear away. So it is shifting back down to neutral for you. So this means that you are going to have to take apart your motor and replace some tranny gears. You'll also need to replace the shift fork since you probably held on the shifter arm to force it to stay in gear and that'll bent the fork. That is the only real reason why forks bend. Depending how bad you might need to replace the shift drum as well because both shift drum and shift fork are not made to handle the power of what your motor produces, they are there just to move things when they are not under power. If you force them to now hold their position when the larger tranny gear and pushing back, could notch or break the shift drum where the shift fork pin engages it at! I hope this helps. Email me and i can explain more and how much of a pain it is to remove the engine on that bike!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM

Alright I took some pics of the subframe thats broken. Also, when i walked into my garage to put the bike outside for better lighting i found a small puddle of something, it looks like oil but i'm not certain, so i took a couple pictures of where the stuff was. I hope these post alright. I took the pictures with my phone so i'm not sure if they'll look good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12659/24758FEE9D2747BBA69A9596DBDF51C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Alright so it won't let me upload more than one picture at a time so i'm gonna spam you guys with 3 more posts after this, i hope these pictures clarify my despair.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12659/9004E470C1AF47AAB7665DEF89287A81.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 PM

now i'm going to post my subframe breakadge.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:12 PM

i tried only uploading two at a time and the file is still too large, so i'll keep posting one at a time

[IMG]local://upfiles/12659/EE82155031504A1E837ADD536A80A528.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 12:13 PM

different view

[IMG]local://upfiles/12659/A8531494EC644C0AA7E86CF1881530C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM

you know what i bet that broken sub frame is from? Spinning the bike on is kick stand for 30k miles. Thats where the weight might torque the subframe ... hmmm

as for that oil goes, you need to pull those fairings and get a good look, could be coming from quite a few different places.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM

ah well. I am going to go up to a couple of the motorcycle shops in daytona and see how much i can get trade this bike in for, i don't expect a lot but anything off of a new bike will work. I plan on getting an 07 or 08 never ridden before bike, so that if something ever goes wrong on it then i can fix it without being upset because i didn't do it. BUT is the subframe re-weldable? i might get that done before i try to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear problems