CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

2002 CBR954RR no start PLEASE HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 CBR954RR no start PLEASE HELP ME!!

Hello my name is Chris. 2 weeks ago I purchased a used 2002 954rr. Its driven fine for 2 weeks and yesterday it stalled while I was riding and it hasnt started since.

What its doing: It cranks but the fuel pump is not coming on or priming when the bike is on.

What Ive Done:
1) Ive checked the kick stand switch and the fuel shut off relay.both ok
2) Ive also checked and jumped the bank angle sensor.its ok
3) Ive pulled the engine stop relay and jumped the wires and it will start up and run perfect with the relay out and the wires jumped but will not shut off with the switch or turning the key to the off position, I have to pull the jumper wire out to shut it off.
4) Ive replaced the engine stop relay with a new one, still no start unless i remove the engine stop relay and jump the wires.

Im not sure what to do from here? any suggestions are really really appreciated

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the fuel pump isnt comming on and you checked all that, then its should be as simple as the fuel pump its self thats bad.. change the fuel pump!

Old 06-20-2011, 05:22 AM

no its not the fuel pump I ran 12v to it and it comes on and works just fine. Like I said the bike runs and drive excellent with the engine stop relay taken out and the wires jumped but i replaced the engine stop relay and it still doesnt start unless I have the engine stop relay out and I jump the wires

Old 06-21-2011, 07:22 AM

It looks like the Engine Stop Relay (ESR) is in series with the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) and that is all.
On the Wiring diagram Fuse 'D' supplies a White/Black wire.
The supply comes in to the BAS plug as White/Black then changes to White at the BAS itself.
It comes out of the BAS as Red/White then changes at the BAS plug to Red/Orange.
This Red/Orange supplies the Coil for the ESR. The Black is the other side of the coil and looks to be the common.
There are two plugs shown in the circuit, the BAS plug, and a 12 pin that is Blue.
The Blue plug has the White/Black and Red/Orange wires.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 AM

So then i should check the wires and connections? It only starts if i jump the engine stop relay and only shuts off if i pull the jumper wire. I've replaced the relay but it still won't start unless i use a jumper wire between the right most two connections. You believe its this circuit between the bank angle sensor and the engine stop relay. Im sorry to ask so much but what should i Do to figure out the repair. Id rather not wire a switch and bypass the relay cause id like to fix it right. I appreciate the run down of the wiring but Im not completely sure what to do with the great information you have given me. Any further explanation would be greatly appreciated. I have found the wires you spoke of and the connections. I just need a little more of a push in the right repair direction if you don't mind. Thanks so much

The following users liked this post:
teddy (11-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM

No Wuckin Forries,
Grab your meter and check the voltage between the frame and each point. Start at the fuse, move to the plug at the BAS, Check at the coil to the ESR.
Since you have replaced the ESR the odds are there is not enough voltage there and it is dropping somewhere along the way because of a bad plug or somesuch. Narrow down where the point is at which the voltage drops and you will probably have found your problem.
If there is good supply to the coil of the ESR then the problem may be the other side of the coils link to the frame. ie It's not grounded properly.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Hello I had a simmilar problem with my 954 a month a go and what i did to fix mine , in the headlight wireing harness there is a ground block (it looks like a fuse holder wraped in black tape) I un wraped the tape and 1 of the wires was black (burnt) so i disassembled and cleaned all conections and reassembled . I havn't had a problem yet , I started with the same things you did and this was my fix so good luck

Old 06-26-2011, 03:28 PM

Thank you to you both. It was the Ground Block by the headlights. I rewired the wwhole thing with gold tipped connectors..It runs great now..WOOHOO!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:27 PM

I know this is an old thread. But can anyone post a few pics on how they did their fix. I am having the same problem and I dont have a lot of experience working on the electrical bits of the bike.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For what the 2 guys above were talking about...

In the sub harness that is forward of the blue/grey connectors on the front of the bike, you'll see a big yellow box with a bunch of green wires going to it. It's about an inch wide or so, 1/2 inch deep, and 1/4 inch tall.

It's a ground box. All of the ground wires for the front go there so that you can save some wiring and size of the connectors. If one of those ground wires come undone, then it's like not having a ground connection to somewhere that's vital to getting the bike to run.

I'm not sure that's the problem, though, with yours. It might not be a fix. You should start your own thread asking for help instead of dragging up old threads. Some info between people is shared in PM's or in other threads from the same time period - so we may be missing some information from these problems that was shared in places other than this thread.

And go to the new members area and INTRO yourself! It's a good community, you can learn a lot from here