CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

02 954rr hesitates from a complete stop.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 02 954rr hesitates from a complete stop.....

o not this again, yes the 954 is fuel injected and k&n airfilter is not goin to do anything about hesitation that you are going to notice.. hesitation could be a lot of different things

Old 07-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree...i fixed mine with the pcIII and why you guys are saying its the airbox?

Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 PM

dont know...i never put a pc in mine yet, all i know is that is what fixed mine. i would bang the throttle, and it would wait. once i changed filter, it stopped. maybe i just got lucky. ill have a pc soon, maybe that will change something else.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: joey954rr

i agree...i fixed mine with the pcIII and why you guys are saying its the airbox?

No one said its the airbox, i said that my hesitation improved "slightly" after removing the flapper in the airbox. I mentioned it because it takes very little time, costs no money, and it may help "slightly". Never did i say it was a cure.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:27 PM

The intake valve (flapper) is not supposed to be opened until 8,000 rpm. This is also when the EGCV is at the 180 deg mark. Removing the intake valve will cause a lean fuel mixture. Unless you have the bike custom tuned, this is not an advisable action.

Also, a choke is restricting the air flow thus choking it out. The idea is to start the motor with a rich mixture.

How many miles are on the bike? How far from stock is it? That you know of, what has been done to the bike? As stated, there are many variables to work with. The FI light, or the MIL(next to the left signal indicator on the cluster)is not blinking is it?

How many times have you killed the bike when starting? Are you clutching first or throttle first?

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRinPDX

The intake valve (flapper) is not supposed to be opened until 8,000 rpm. This is also when the EGCV is at the 180 deg mark. Removing the intake valve will cause a lean fuel mixture. Unless you have the bike custom tuned, this is not an advisable action.

Also, a choke is restricting the air flow thus choking it out. The idea is to start the motor with a rich mixture.

How many miles are on the bike? How far from stock is it? That you know of, what has been done to the bike? As stated, there are many variables to work with. The FI light, or the MIL(next to the left signal indicator on the cluster)is not blinking is it?

How many times have you killed the bike when starting? Are you clutching first or throttle first?
see thats what i was told that is why i got the pcIII...but he told me i could not do that intill i got the tune...

Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM

Joey,
It would not make sense to custom tune the bike (dyno tune) before making the modifications...
unless this guy is doing the tuning for you and just charges a flat rate until the bike is setup the way you want it. Otherwise you'd be paying for unnecessary dyno work.

And people messing with the EGCV... by disabling the servo you are actually doing an injustice to your bike. This system is set up to provide a specific flow depending on the RPM. The servo moves at 3,000 & 8,000 RPM. I have talked with a local Honda sponsored rider and a tech at Erion who both advised NOT messing with this system UNLESS you have a high end racing system on your track/race bike. (Which I assume youwill haveother items besidesexhaust, K&N, and PCIII installed on the bike.)
I'm not saying this is absolute, just that I trust their experience.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:37 PM

damn. it sounds like you know what your talking about. good thing i never cut that flapper.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRinPDX

Joey,
It would not make sense to custom tune the bike (dyno tune) before making the modifications...
unless this guy is doing the tuning for you and just charges a flat rate until the bike is setup the way you want it. Otherwise you'd be paying for unnecessary dyno work.

And people messing with the EGCV... by disabling the servo you are actually doing an injustice to your bike. This system is set up to provide a specific flow depending on the RPM. The servo moves at 3,000 & 8,000 RPM. I have talked with a local Honda sponsored rider and a tech at Erion who both advised NOT messing with this system UNLESS you have a high end racing system on your track/race bike. (Which I assume youwill haveother items besidesexhaust, K&N, and PCIII installed on the bike.)
I'm not saying this is absolute, just that I trust their experience.
yes the guy that did my work did it all at the same time from intake to exhaust....i trust those tpro riders too but my bike is so quick the way it is set up....

Old 04-23-2023, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peoples_champ
hi guys ijust boughta 02 954 rr, the bike hesistates when you take off from a complete stop it dosent matter if the bike is cold or warm, once you take off its fine all the gears are fine its just in 1st gear between 1k - 3k rpm it hesistates/boges. im new so any help would be good i have been told that "get a power commander and youll be fine" so just wanna get 2nd opinon before i spend $200+ on a power commander. im located in sacramento CA so if some is local or close by i would love to ride my bike at your place and if you can take it for a spin i would appreciate. thanks
hey, I don’t know if you’re gonna get this because it’s an old thread but I’ve had the same problem and almost killed my confidence in the bike because I love my 954. I did coils plugs cam chain, tensioner everything you could think of because it always bog down it felt like ignition and it felt like fuel injectors so I did feel injectors, fuel filter, and a pump. It was still bogging down so I did the valve adjustment and a cam chain and that fixed it. It doesn’t bog down. It doesn’t stutter. It doesn’t skip you can creep again you can enter your way to a stop you don’t have to worry about coming to a stop and going and it’s skipping it is 100% better and running like a brand new bike again and I did it all myself factory in Honda Parts easy Peezy

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (04-25-2023)

Quick Reply: 02 954rr hesitates from a complete stop.....