CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Where are all the 929ers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought my 929rr

Hey guys, new to the forum, but have read alot of your stuff....thank you to all that post tips and tricks...

i just bought a 2001 929rr with what i think is 48000 miles on the title!!! I just started to break it down and clean it, its been sitting in our shop for 3 years! and i was finally able to get a hold of the owner, a girl, she took it from her bf 3 years ago...(thus why she stored it at our shop) guess the bf didnt pay for it so she took it back.

any pointers on getting it back to working order? i would like to have it up and running in the next couple of months....(have to buy stuff when i can)

i bought it for 1000.00 is that a good deal?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Default heres the bike.

heres my bike...2001 929rr

Attached Thumbnails Where are all the 929ers?-mybike.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by white929rr
Hey guys, new to the forum, but have read alot of your stuff....thank you to all that post tips and tricks...

i just bought a 2001 929rr with what i think is 48000 miles on the title!!! I just started to break it down and clean it, its been sitting in our shop for 3 years! and i was finally able to get a hold of the owner, a girl, she took it from her bf 3 years ago...(thus why she stored it at our shop) guess the bf didnt pay for it so she took it back.

any pointers on getting it back to working order? i would like to have it up and running in the next couple of months....(have to buy stuff when i can)

i bought it for 1000.00 is that a good deal?

Great deal!! of course, that really does depend on how she looks and runs, but from the picture, I'd say ya done real good.

If the bike was running when you parked it, Id' say, fuel and battery will be the main issues..the fuel system potentially may need work. Here's what I'd do, I'd drain the fuel outta the bike, completely. Then I'd use some seafoam straight in the tank, the idea being to get rid of any varnish thats loose and get it outta the tank You should be able to look inside the tank, if it looks like its in good shape..leave well enough alone and just get the old fuel out, and run some seafoam or another fuel additive that cleans the fuel system. I prefer Seafoam. I'd replace the fuel filter, possibly the air filter just for good measure..change the oil and filter, check fork seals for leakage, brakes for same, as well as pad wear and for any cracks or warpage of the rotors. Hopefully you won't have to clean the injectors. Your on your own there..tho I've heard guys say that they put them in a solution, keeping the electronics out of the solvent. Replace the battery, check tires for dry rot and pliability (chances are they should be replaced..rubber deteriorates over time.) I've got a 2000' and its always been a strong performer, and it seems the engine can be bulletproof. (doing alot of wheelies notwithstanding. middle two cylinders lose lubrication on extended wheelies..will scar the cylinders and eventually lead to a rebuild.) I think you got an outstanding deal if there is no real damage, and all you have to do is give her a little TLC. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Slyder929
Great deal!! of course, that really does depend on how she looks and runs, but from the picture, I'd say ya done real good.

If the bike was running when you parked it, Id' say, fuel and battery will be the main issues..the fuel system potentially may need work. Here's what I'd do, I'd drain the fuel outta the bike, completely. Then I'd use some seafoam straight in the tank, the idea being to get rid of any varnish thats loose and get it outta the tank You should be able to look inside the tank, if it looks like its in good shape..leave well enough alone and just get the old fuel out, and run some seafoam or another fuel additive that cleans the fuel system. I prefer Seafoam. I'd replace the fuel filter, possibly the air filter just for good measure..change the oil and filter, check fork seals for leakage, brakes for same, as well as pad wear and for any cracks or warpage of the rotors. Hopefully you won't have to clean the injectors. Your on your own there..tho I've heard guys say that they put them in a solution, keeping the electronics out of the solvent. Replace the battery, check tires for dry rot and pliability (chances are they should be replaced..rubber deteriorates over time.) I've got a 2000' and its always been a strong performer, and it seems the engine can be bulletproof. (doing alot of wheelies notwithstanding. middle two cylinders lose lubrication on extended wheelies..will scar the cylinders and eventually lead to a rebuild.) I think you got an outstanding deal if there is no real damage, and all you have to do is give her a little TLC. Good luck!
couldnt have said it better....id add some seafoam to the fuel to help recondition the injectors once you get it runnin...hehe you said that too...

Old 10-03-2010, 12:02 PM

I've been rocking my 01 929RR for 6 years now and she's running just as strong as the day I bought her!