CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Totalled already

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 PM
June 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Totalled already

So lastfriday I was cruising home in the center laneon a nice open 3 lane road, just blocks away from the hospital where my wife and 3 day old baby are staying.I notice an oncomingcar slowing down looking like he wanted to make a left turn onto a side street across a DOUBLE YELLOW LINE onto a ONE WAY STREET the wrong way. He appears to change his mind and as I approach him, Iget back on the throttle (Ilet off and covered the brakesthinking he was about to pull abonehead move, then he didn't). Well apparently he changed his mind again and darted out in front of me... realizing I was headed straight for him what does he do? Slams on the brakes like a stunned deer blocking all 3 lanes of traffic instead of gassing it to get out of the way. Well, I locked the brakes and smacked the rear quarter panel at somewhere between 30 and 50 mph cartwheeled twice over the trunk landing on my brand new helmet andtumbled a few more times. As I crawl to my feet and try getting out of traffic I watch very pissed off as he speeds away, giving me just enough time to remember his plate number. A taxi behind me took off chasing him and got a second account of plate number, make, and model for the cops. Within a short time there were like 20 taxi drivers there all offering me help (in korean though)followed by an ambulance. I assumed he was drunk, and when the cops tracked him down today and we talked to him he reeked of stale alchohol still at 3pm.
[/align][/align]So, the 929 is totalled, my helmet of course ruined, joe rocket racing gauntlets, shift lodown jeans, and icon motorhead jacket all served their purpose and are still useable. [/align][/align]I have a sprained thumb, and legs covered in nasty bruises and scrapes. Could have been alot worse. The thumb may need surgery according to the doctor but I don't think it will. [/align][/align]I got a settlement from him already, and Korean insurance covers all damaged gear, the vehicle, and all current and future medical costs. Soon as my thumb heals up its time to shop for another bike.[/align]

Old 04-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Default RE: Totalled already

jeez .. i am sorry sorry to hear this story
and i am glad you made it through
mostly in one piece

good luck on your search
and your new family!

Old 04-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Thats a scary story, i was in a car accident almost identical to that once years ago. Glad your ok and that your gear did its job. Bikes come and go, but glad to know you will be able to walk in and see your newborn and wife tonite.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Banned

Holy ****.

I'm moving to Korea!

Good to hear you're alright. Happens to me all the time. Making eye contact and thinking someone is going to pull out in front of me, that is. Not the getting hit thing.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM

glad to hear you are alright

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

That sucks man, but atleast everything is getting paid for and your pretty much OK...Are you going to try and get another 929 or just anything with 2 wheels that goes fast..haha

Old 04-08-2008, 09:54 PM

^ #1 cause of motorcycle accidents
(happened to my on a '54)

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 AM
June 2009 ROTM

ORIGINAL: 01929er

That sucks man, but atleast everything is getting paid for and your pretty much OK...Are you going to try and get another 929 or just anything with 2 wheels that goes fast..haha
I'm looking at going for a 954 I think, and considering a busa, RC51 or a few others, but if i find a nice 929 that will work too. I was really happy with it so I wouldn't mind another really.

I'm betting I will be healed enough to ride by next week, so its just a matter of finding a bike now.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: WhiteKnite

...considering a busa...
Thought you might take a look at this...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/636139923.html

Nice deal, about 4 hours from me.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnite

I'm looking at going for a 954 I think, and considering a busa, RC51 or a few others, but if i find a nice 929 that will work too. I was really happy with it so I wouldn't mind another really.

I'm betting I will be healed enough to ride by next week, so its just a matter of finding a bike now.
do you still have the old bike?

Quick Reply: Totalled already