CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Shindy Steering dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shindy Steering dampers?

I have been looking for a steering damper for my bike for some time now but dont have tons of money to spend on one. The least expensive one i found was the shindy pro damper. Has anybody used one of these? Anything good or bad to say about them? I have read different reviews about them on different sites and havnt found anybody saying anything real bad about them but people on here seem to know what there talking about more then some other sites. Any help would be great. thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 08:02 AM

I'm in the same situation. I just bought a shindy and it's in the mail. I'll let you know how I like it when i get it. While doing my research I found the same thing you did, a bunch of people saying it's not nearly as good as a GPR or Scott, but no one had anything terrible to say. One guy said "any damper is better than no damper" so i'm running with that...

Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM

Yea thats the same thought process i went with..But def let me know how the works out for you. im running out of time before it gets nice so i gotta do something quic.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:24 PM

same here was looking at them but havent seen any reviews on them ..
and I am kinda of the same logic .. any damper is better than none !!!

Old 03-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Old 03-21-2009, 08:37 AM

well i gave in and bought one..The weather is getting to nice for me to wait any longer. As soon as i get it in ill let you guys know how it works out if you havnt already got one youself.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 AM

I got mine friday, and put it in saturday. the instructions blow, but i got it in so that it's not binding. if you don't want to spend 2 hrs scratching your head looking at the diagram apparently drawn by a 10yr old, let me know, i can send a better translation and real pics. I'm a little sketched out by the mounting setup. i would have preferred a better fastening of the damper body. Right now the body can move around a little bit and i'm worried that after a few hundred miles it might shift and find something to bind against. no idea how it rides yet cause i broke the head off of a clutch spring retaining bolt and need to wait for the shop to get me my parts.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 PM

Yea if you could send some pics and some info of how it goes on that would be awesome. I havnt got mine delivered yet so i havnt even started looking at how it might fit on. Thanks man

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM

I'll go take some pics tomorrow afternoon, hopefully post something wed morning

edit: pics tonight, write up tomorrow...

Last edited by packdog; 03-25-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:12 PM

So, you'll notice right off the bat that the arrangement of parts out of the box is not the same as it is in my pic, something the directions allude to, but don't describe.
1) follow the directions to mount a bracket to the frame. you might want another set of hands to hold up the nose of the bike while you do this.
2) now it's time to mess with the damper body. you'll have to remove the heim bearing from the damper body clamp, insert the block (square aluminum block with a corner cut out) then screw the heim into the block.
3) now put the clamp on the left suspension piston. what the direction's show is the clamp affixed 10mm below the handlebar clamp-on. this 10 mm is important otherwise there will be collision with your clutch lever. the directions also say something like 30degrees offset. this is a good starting point, but you'll need to spend some time making sure that the damper body clamp doesn't bind with the speedo cluster's mounts.

it's not too bad once you realize how the block fits in, the rest is just turning the handle bars back and forth and adjust to make sure nothing binds...

these are pretty crappy directions, but it's better than nothing, i hope...

Quick Reply: Shindy Steering dampers?