CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Reliability question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-4422
my bad, i just read your post again and saw it says clean title. sorry. but as for the 929's being a crap model. why do you say that? but if it is your first bike then a 600cc would probably be your best choice. but thats just my opinion. but i still want to know why you think a 929 is a crap model??????
because of the low price, and I had never heard of them before. like i said as i read on i'm realizing they're not too shabby

Originally Posted by mark5009
It is a baby My Erion has 46k miles, another local Erion has 70k+ miles. Neither has had any notable mechanical failure. They are very reliable, though there are a few weak points: stator, rectifier/regulator, and, if abused, 2nd gear. The last would be a walk-away for me, the other two are fixable and worth the price of admission.

The 929 is probably one of the most underrated liter sports-bikes out there. It is forgiving, easy-to-ride, comfortable, fast, handles well, excellent build quality, reliable and looks great. Nothing wrong with that! The reason the reviews tend to be poor is that they are from 2000/2001 and it came off badly in direct comparison with the new GSXR1000 and the R1. Though if you compare them today, you may find it a different story
Thank you! Just what i wanted to hear, the higher mileage bikes are holding up, and what problems I should look for.

Originally Posted by mark5009
As a first bike, I would steer you into something like a CB600 F4i. The 929, or any liter sports bike, is just going to have too much oh-sh*t factor when you are unlikely to have the skills to tame it. If you have ridden dirt a lot, then the 929 would work for you. If you are older and have the maturity to not get sucked in by the power rush (at 48 it is -still- hard not to get sucked in!), then go for it. Otherwise, go for less power. You -will- have more fun with less power if you are just starting out.
I've got many reasons, all of which are really just rationalizing an irrational move. But I'll keep them to myself so I can keep this thread on topic and myself from becoming public enemy numero uno.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:52 AM

I have an '01 929 its about to roll over 32k. Runs great, have had no complaints and no problems with her. And by the way it is my first bike. So I think buying the 600 to start out with my be a good idea for some but I know if I had I would have ended up kicking myself wanting something bigger. Ive had a couple of them oh **** times myself but that could happen to you on any size bike. All depends on how you ride. I would have to say if the bike really is as clean as it looks and in good mechanical form to jump on it.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:27 AM

i have 40k on mine runs like its brand new if it has been maintained should run to 100k no prob

Old 06-05-2009, 11:16 PM

I've got a CBR900RRV YOM1997, put 54k miles on it until 2004.

The bike runs great all the time, had 2 crashes (low side) on the track and it still runs perfect with just comestics touch up.

Only thing I have replaced is the rear shock at around 40k miles. The ratlling sound at idle seems to get noisy over the years, I just it is due to a loose cam chain.

I have a year 2001 CBR929 now with 15k miles. Runs great, I guess it will runs as well as my previous 900rrv.

Originally Posted by Black96SVT
There's an ad on cycletrader.com for an 01 929RR with 20k miles, in good shape for 2500. Here's the exact description

Just curious of how 20k miles translates as far as future reliability, things to look out for, what might go wrong and how that may offset the (obviously) cheap purchase price of this bike.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by civicblade; 06-05-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:34 PM

The 929 is so capable I was wondering how on earth can a street rider do better with the latest year 09 machines?

Coming out of a bend with the rev meter at 9-10k rpm... Oh **** the feeling is wonderful. The acceleration is spell-binding. It has 90-95% capability of the latest machine but only a small fraction of the price.

Use the money saved for your gears, track days or touring trips.

Originally Posted by 929Hooligan
I have an '01 929 its about to roll over 32k. Runs great, have had no complaints and no problems with her. And by the way it is my first bike. So I think buying the 600 to start out with my be a good idea for some but I know if I had I would have ended up kicking myself wanting something bigger. Ive had a couple of them oh **** times myself but that could happen to you on any size bike. All depends on how you ride. I would have to say if the bike really is as clean as it looks and in good mechanical form to jump on it.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 PM

i recently bought a 01 929rr and so far had to replace the wiring harness for the lights and the regulator. other than that the bike runs perfect.

my first bike was a hornet 600 and i'm actually glad i had a smaller one starting out. it may just be me but when some people say they can hold back when it comes to power, well let's just say it's another story on the bike. when you have as much torque and power as the 929s have it's hard to hold back. on the other hand though it would be hard to pass up that kinda deal. i'm sure you know already but it would be a good idea to take it to a local shop and have them do a thorough inspection.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Like everyone else says "it seems too good to be true". I just got a 929 a few weeks ago locally, but I was looking on cycletrader and cycleclassifieds.us and I had two inquiries to different people. They were both scams - pretty common I guess.
First they said "we'll use ebays buyer protection program so we are both protected from fraud" - well hey dip **** the bike isn't on ebay now is it?
But anyway I would only do local sale or from a dealership online if you wanted to pay the $400-$500 delivery charge.
If it seems too good to be true it probably is. Bike's are going for premium around me - everytime I saw one for sale it was sold within a day so negotiating a good price probably isn't very likely b/c there's going to be someone looking for a used bike, since people prob. don't want to spend the money on new ones right now.

NPC CHAMP