CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Potential 929 purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Potential 929 purchase.

Well, its more the owner of the bike wont take it out to get it inspected if its raining haha.. so.. i'm hoping for dry roads and a little sunshine..

Old 03-10-2006, 08:55 AM

I do have one last question, with 9200 miles do i need to worry about the clutch?.. I've never ridden a bike that actually had a slipping clutch but i'm not sure at what point they really start going out.. and it just scares me to do a test ride.. to think of all the bad things that could happen espically if i haven't purchased it yet :-/

Old 03-11-2006, 02:22 AM

Just pay very close attention to the feel of the bike as you begin to release the clutch lever. take notice of how far the lever is from the handle when you start the feel the bike pull forward (doesnt mean slipping clutch but could need to be adjusted). Most will move about an inch or so before you feel anything starting to move. Also listen to the revs of the motor as you are releasing the clutch. You will here differences in the revs that are different from what a normal cluth activation sounds like. Sorry for being vage but im not totally sure how to discribe it. Its a feel thing more then anything. I'll get back to you after i talk to some of my riding buddies.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:28 AM

Right on, i got it checked out All was good, needs a new rear tire, its at the wear bar, needs a new low beam bulb.. thats about it They didn't do a complete tear down and test compression or anything of that nature.. still debating wether to have that done they said they took it out on a test ride and checked everything else and it was a great bike, They said there was a little "cosmetic" ding on the bottom of the right fairing from road debris.. i suppose no used bike can be in perfect condition wear and tear take their effect. So it looks like it will be mine on monday @ 9.. looking forward to the day.. Oh i was going to ask how much does a new rear tire with mounting and a low beam bulb run generally?..

Old 03-11-2006, 03:05 AM

New tires can get expensive. It all depends on the brand of tire. I like Dunlop the best. check out the "string" titled "tire wear" in the forums. Figure on spending $200 as a starting point for a complete tire job. Never had to replace a bulb yet but i would bet its will be 5-20 dollars like the bulbs you get for cars. Great news on the bike. Im very excited for you. Getting a new bike (new or used) is always a neat feeling. A compression check wouldnt be a bad idea if the bike has higher mileage on it. I have never bought a bike with 10k + on it. sounds like the bike your looking at is getting close to that area. If you have some extra money you may want to consider it only because you almost never know how the guy rode the bike. Here is a cheap way to really get a good idea on weather a comp test is needed. Park the bike without running it for a couple of days. Then when you start it watch your exhaust close to see what color it is. Rev it a couple of times like right away while watching. Thin grey to almost clear would be relatively normal. Blue is of coarse is oil possibly rings wearing. thick and black is a lot of carbon. The second two results could be a good reason to go ahead with a comp test.

Old 03-11-2006, 03:19 AM

Yes you are absolutely right about used bikes seldom being in premium shape. Although i found an exception to the rule twice if you can believe it. My first road bike was a 95 Kawasaki 500ex that only had 1100 miles on it without a scratch. Great bike to start out on. My 01 929rr (my current bike) was a steal and was also in mint condition. Has 4200 miles on it and I am the second owner. Not a scratch on it and lots of extras. I paid $5500 for the whole smack. I sometimes still can't believe my luck finding this bike.

Old 03-11-2006, 04:29 AM

Hm.. Sounds good, I'll be the third owner.. He's owned it for a bout a year bought it with 8,000 miles, he said it had the 8,000 mile service prior to him buying it, and from what the mechanics said when they test rode it, it was in awsome shape and ran perfectly. i'll scan their service report to show ya. but overall it was in great shape. I'm iffy about getting a compression check, they're a honda dealer and they did a "safety check" and they said if there was a problem with the way it was running they would've caught it while inspecting/test riding.. I was also reading about PPI's on motorcycles and i noticed most dont really go beyond what these guys did, leaks cosmetics, the basics.. most of the places i was reading about said that doing comp tests and such on the engine was a lenghty process which required too much disassembly of the bike :-/... so i dunno

Old 03-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Sound good about the tests that the shop did. If they gave you the green light then I would go in peace with that info. They should be good at what they do. Sounds to me like monday you will have a new ride at your house my friend. Congrats to ya. Yeah a comp test isnt a five minute job so I would just follow your guts and those shop guys. I'm betting that you will be just fine for years to come. Like I said before I hope I'm being of help. I am an experienced rided but in no-way an expert. The shop guys should know whats best. Although I have heard horror stories.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 AM

Ah.. 1 day to go.. counting down haha.. now i just need to focus on getting my full endorsment.. working on the only day when they actually allow you to take the riding test blows.. I'm trying to find out what kind of citation they'll actually write to you if you dont have a full license.... I can ride during the day but "after dusk" is a no no.. ah but work takes priority.. unforunatly.. To move away from that subject.. now it comes to gear.. I was thinking of getting an AGV textile jackets. Helmets now that i'm still deciding on.. obviously you dont want to be a penny pusher . As a temporary solution are HJC's any good? I'm going to purchase one online but i need something to use in the meantime which can later be used for other purposes.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Retired Mod

first off, congrats on the new (to you) bike purchase. the 929 is a great bike. i'm on my 3rd one. as far as the gear question goes, get everything you need. and do not overlook the importance of quality leather gloves. your hands are the first thing to hit the ground when you go down. and hjc helmets are definately not bad helmets, just a little cheaper (price wise) and a little noisier than the more expensive ones. i currently wear a cl-14 kast and it's not the best, but it's not bad either. and i would recommend a leather jacket, if it fits your budget. one last thing: just ride the damn thing and enjoy every minute of it!

Quick Reply: Potential 929 purchase.