CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Need Help on Bearing Colours please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on Bearing Colours please!!!

hi everyone i ve got honda cbr 929rr 2001,had a problem with the crankshaft(its really rare on honda) and i bought new one,its not brand new bought on ebay.so i need to change all the bearings,but dont know how to do colours..
I.D from crankcase BABCB
And on crankshaft L22232
LABBB
please if you could tell me wich coulours i should buy,and if there is anything else i should do when changing bearings.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Do you have a manual? You'll need one to cross reference those codes. The 5 digit codes on case and crank are for main bearings. The "L" just means they read left to right. Codes for your mains are (from left to right with motor in upright position)...B2, A2, B2, C3, B2. Let me look and see if I can find a manual online. The 4 digit codes are for your rod bearings. You match them with codes on rods and get your final code for that bearing.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM

Okay, just downloaded manual for the 929 (gotta love the internet LOL). Your main bearing colors are (left to right)....Yellow, Pink, Yellow, Brown, Yellow. If you'll post the numbers off your rods, I can tell you what colors you need for rod bearings. I always plastigage rod bearings, especially with a used crank. It takes a lil more time but it's worth the peace of mind. Oil clearance for rod bearings is .0012-.0020

Last edited by cbr900racer77; 09-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cbr900racer77
Okay, just downloaded manual for the 929 (gotta love the internet LOL). Your main bearing colors are (left to right)....Yellow, Pink, Yellow, Brown, Yellow. If you'll post the numbers off your rods, I can tell you what colors you need for rod bearings. I always plastigage rod bearings, especially with a used crank. It takes a lil more time but it's worth the peace of mind. Oil clearance for rod bearings is .0012-.0020
thnx for you help mate really priciate it,i m really struggling here cause we dont get any proper service place(Georgia tbilisi) and there is 2 guys who can fix bike(and they didnt even knew that bearing colours should be done with code)..:-) hard time in here:-))) so u made my day fella;-)..i thought this was the only code that need for bearings,and where i should find numbers of rods,can u tell me how many digits they should be and where are they placed on motor

Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Codes on the rods are in numbers. Should be either a 1,2, or 3. There may be letters on there but ignore them, they are weight references and aren't important. Did you mark the rods 1 through 4 so you can put them in the right cylinders? If you haven't, do so before giving me the numbers off them. Then post them starting with rod #1. Then when you're ready to put them together, the bearings will be correct.
It is kinda confusing at first, but you get used to it LOL. Be sure and use new nuts on the rods when installing them and don't skip the plastigage step. If you've never used it, it comes in different sizes so be sure and get the one that covers oil clearance specs I posted. Rotate crank til rod journal you're measuring is closest to you. Then carefully pull rod up and seat it on journal. Then lay small strip of plastigage across journal. Then install cap and torque to specs. Make sure you hold rod perfectly still while torquing or it won't show true measurement. After torquing, remove rod cap and hold package up to plastigage til line on package matches thickness of plastigage on journal then read the clearance. Bearings have to be perfectly dry also.
Get back to me with those rod numbers and I'll look it up. I have manual saved on my pc at work and I'll get them tonight.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM

okay just got from garrage and here the rod numbers:3232 and i remembered wich goes to right cilynder.and never heard about the plastigage u said,dont know even what is it,or how it looks or where should i buy it,

Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 AM

Are those readings starting with cylinder #1? If they are, your rod bearing colors are (from 1-4) Brown, Brown, Black, Brown. Plastigage is this thin spaghetti noodle looking stuff. You can get it around here at most auto parts stores. You break off a small piece and lay it across crank journal. Then you install rod (with dry bearings) and torque to spec. When you torque it, it mashes the plastigage. On the package plastigage came in there is a scale with different widths on it. You compare the scale with the plastigage material on your journal and it tells you the clearance. Just google it, I'm sure there are better explanations out there than mine LOL. It's really easy to get parts mixed up or figure up wrong color so it's just extra insurance that you did the job right. Oil clearance isn't something you want to get wrong, trust me. Also you need a good manual. Go to www.rrzone.com and click on their "downloads" section. There is a 929 factory manual download there and it's free. If you have trouble finding it, just register and ask a member.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:18 AM

u were right mate got to love internet lool))i saw how u do plastigage on youtube
just to make sure that i did evrething properly,think i ve done wrong that when i was writting down from myself rod numbers the motor was on the flor and i did numbers from right crankcase to right should have done oposite yea?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:31 PM

Yeah, you have to count them from left to right (as viewed with motor sitting in bike). That's because the codes on the crank web are reading left to right. I've gotten them mixed up on more than one occasion. That's why I always double check my numbers and plastigauge it.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:17 AM

so the colours would be the same?from the right position from lef to right would be 2323. thnx fro ut help mate didint even knew what to do without ur help really priciate

Quick Reply: Need Help on Bearing Colours please!!!