CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Low fuel light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel light?

Afternoon.....First post on the forum.
I just purchased a used 2000 929. Everything seems to be great except for one thing. The bike has next to no fuel when I bought and so I didn't think anything of the fuel light being on. Well, I just filled up the tank and the light is still on. The battery was also dead as a doornail when I purchased it so the clock and everything is zero'ed out. Mileage is there though. My question is, is there a reset button or anything to make the light go out???? Also, anything else I should keep my eye on as this is my first bike like this. I have had cruisers before this.....
Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Default RE: Low fuel light?

Any help would be greatly appreciated..............

Old 06-26-2006, 12:51 PM

I'M not sure on the fuel light. but one thing to invest in is a steering damper ($350-$500 dollars) these bikes get tank slappers pretty bad when hammering them. and from what i've heard also when you're not hammering them. And just a heads up the swing arm is offset . if you look at one side and then the other ecspecially on a stand, you will notice it looks like it is leaning. It's straight it just looks lopsided some center stands have an adapter for this so it will sit straight on the stand. They are great bikes and i love mine. and do a search on this site there is a link to the manual

Old 06-26-2006, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. I have a Scotts damper. Not too sure how it works. Guy I bought it from said 10 clicks out and it was good, so that is where I left it. I'mm have to try to download the manula somewhere to see if there is a reset for the light.
Thanks again for the help.....
So, how does the steering damper work?????

Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 PM

So, how does the steering damper work?????
a steering damper is a hydraulic shock. I don't know about yours but on my ohlins , if I remember correct, to tighten it twist the **** in right now I have it set out 9 clicks and I love it. the steering damper is a hydraulic shock mounted to the frame and to your forks you set it to how you like to ride. It keeps the front wheel from shaking uncontrollably( tank slapper) by absorbing it inside of the damper.

Old 06-26-2006, 05:31 PM

That makes complete sense. Thank you for that. Still no luck with my fuel light.....

Old 06-26-2006, 05:52 PM

did you find your manual I downloaded mine from stephygee.com or something like that.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:20 PM

There isn't a reset button for the low fuel light. It is supposed to shut off just like the low fuel light in your car. If it isn't turning off then something in the bottom of the tank is stuck. There was a post a few weeks ago asking about the fuel filter on the bike and someone replied with a link to the www.bikebandit.com website and an exploded view of the entire gas tank assembly from the fuel line on the bottom to the filler cap on top. I suggest doing a search in this forum for fuel filter and see if you can find it, or take some time on the bikebandit website to see if you can find this drawing, it will be helpful in troubleshooting possible causes.

As a reference I do a moderate amount of city driving and typically get about 130-140 miles on a full tank before the low fuel light activates. If I fill the bike up within 10 miles of the light activating it takes 4 gallons to fill it back up to the top. Hopefully this will give you a rough baseline of when to fill your tank until you are able to resolve your low fuel light issue so you don't run out of gas. Also for a reference if I do calm highway driving (steady 70-75mph) I have gotten as much as 170-180 before the low fuel light activated.

Oh and even though I don't have one yet, I have heard nothing but awesome comments on steering stabilizers. Other than that not a whole lot of issues. I have almost 14K on mine and so far other than an air filter change, oil changes, 2nd plug change this year, and tires every about 6000 miles, I haven't had any real issues. Would love to do away with the HTEV so I could get rid of the ratchet noise the thing makes.

Corbin seat is also an EXCELLENT investment. I periodically have to drive 50+ miles one way to work non stop highway and when I had the stock seat my rear was not very happy with me, but now that I have a Corbin seat I could probably double that distance without too much trouble from my butt.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 AM

dont lose respect for this bike, or it will most definately bight you on the ***. great great bike, mine has around 20k miles on it (conversions only rough, i'm in australia, we use kilometres) not a single problem with it, other than not enough hours in a day to spend on it. i dont have a steering damper, is it really worth the money? i heard their more valuable to the more aggressive, less user friendly bikes. i want an arrows damper, but only if its worth the money as i have an arrows exhaust full system. i like to keep with a brand when its served me well

Old 06-29-2006, 07:26 PM

Hey to teh Aussie crowd. How is it down under? You are absolutely right don't lose respect for this bike. I tell you what, early on when riding it when I would get on it and the front end got light the handlebars would shimmy on me making me a little edgy about the front end lifting off the ground. Then I became used to them and I don't really have much of an issue with it anymore. Without riding the same bike with and then without it I can't really say whether it is worth it or not. Everyone that has one appears to think they are worth it so I would have to go by their judgement.

Anyways, I bought mine new and I have no intentions of parting ways with it anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Low fuel light?