CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

i whant to change my 929rr engine to 954 has anyone have done it?is it posible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i whant to change my 929rr engine to 954 has anyone have done it?is it posible?

does 954 cbr engine fits to 929rr frame?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:43 PM

No, you don't want to swap a 929 engine for a 954. The 954 will run hotter and have heat related issues and your cylinders can crack if the heat gets bad enough.

Plus not much more power or speed than a 929.

Just keep the 929 engine and put full exhaust, eliminate the exhaust valve, open the air box all the way, and put a 954 fuel injection system to the 929 engine if you have the $$$$ to do it.

Then your 929 will be more than fast enough.

you don't want a 954 engine, they are bored out too much, not enough material left in the cylinders and between each cylinder there is almost nothing, at least the 929 engine has 1MM more material between each cylinder.

Originally Posted by Gega
does 954 cbr engine fits to 929rr frame?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 PM

He's right, the 1mm bore is the only dimensional difference in the engine itself. A power commander will make a bigger difference and you can get them under $300. You can also wait until you need a new chain and go -1/+2 on the sprockets. Your top speed will come down, but even on a track you'd need a 1/2 mile straight to really use all 160mph-ish of the stock gearing. I've only topped mine out a few times on lonely highways and with no plastics that last 10mph takes a bit. Plus, I feel like I'm about to fly off the thing...

Old 12-11-2010, 04:22 AM

wow i didnt expect for such an helpfull information cheers Guys,thing is my 929 engine has s many problems with the crankshaft as well and ect.if i ll repair it it will cost me a 1000$maybe more and i decide to buy an complete engine its gonna cost me the same price i saw couple engines on ebay.co.uk for 600pounds.what you reckon is it a normal price?plus i have to ship it t Georgia as well.and topic i wrote cause someone told me that the 954 was better engine.but now iam gona stick with 929

Old 12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Atieri
No, you don't want to swap a 929 engine for a 954. The 954 will run hotter and have heat related issues and your cylinders can crack if the heat gets bad enough.

Plus not much more power or speed than a 929.

Just keep the 929 engine and put full exhaust, eliminate the exhaust valve, open the air box all the way, and put a 954 fuel injection system to the 929 engine if you have the $$$$ to do it.

Then your 929 will be more than fast enough.

you don't want a 954 engine, they are bored out too much, not enough material left in the cylinders and between each cylinder there is almost nothing, at least the 929 engine has 1MM more material between each cylinder.
The 954 engine will not have heat related issues and the chances of a cracked cylinder is very unlikely. The bikes prone to cracked cylinders had their problems years ago. A 954 engine will be fine today. My 954 has over 24k miles and runs like new. My buddy has a 929 and while riding our bikes run at almost the same temp all the time.

wow i didnt expect for such an helpfull information cheers Guys,thing is my 929 engine has s many problems with the crankshaft as well and ect.if i ll repair it it will cost me a 1000$maybe more and i decide to buy an complete engine its gonna cost me the same price i saw couple engines on ebay.co.uk for 600pounds.what you reckon is it a normal price?plus i have to ship it t Georgia as well.and topic i wrote cause someone told me that the 954 was better engine.but now iam gona stick with 929

If you are buying a used engine then I would go with the 954. This topic has been discussed many times and you may find more info on fireblades.org . Keep in mind though that several other parts are required to swap a 954 engine into a 929 if you want to make your 929 just like the 954. You may want to check it all out before you decide which way to go. If you only swap the 954 engine and keep everything else from your 929 you will most likely not feel any difference in how your bike runs.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by vwmaniacvr6
He's right, the 1mm bore is the only dimensional difference in the engine itself. A power commander will make a bigger difference and you can get them under $300. You can also wait until you need a new chain and go -1/+2 on the sprockets. Your top speed will come down, but even on a track you'd need a 1/2 mile straight to really use all 160mph-ish of the stock gearing. I've only topped mine out a few times on lonely highways and with no plastics that last 10mph takes a bit. Plus, I feel like I'm about to fly off the thing...
There were quite a few changes with the 954 engine over the 929. Check out this site to see all the changes made from the 929 to the 954.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/H...mc/954/954.htm

Last edited by backdoc; 12-11-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Your going to ship it from the UK to the state or country of Georgia? Tax and shipping across the ocean can get nasty. There are a few 929 engines on ebay stateside for $800-1000. They do bolt into the frame the same, you'll need to use the airbox/swingarm mount/etc from the 929 since that is the chassis your putting it into.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by vwmaniacvr6
Your going to ship it from the UK to the state or country of Georgia? Tax and shipping across the ocean can get nasty. There are a few 929 engines on ebay stateside for $800-1000. They do bolt into the frame the same, you'll need to use the airbox/swingarm mount/etc from the 929 since that is the chassis your putting it into.
\
Georgia the country so its gonna cost me a fortune)and still iam so afraid of buying the engine what if would be broken or something,but i dont have any other options so i have to try it anyway

Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I've found most people are honest that are charging normal prices. Make sure they have good feedback and that it's from selling bike/car parts, not religious t-shirts. Ask them before you bit what they are going to do it it doesn't run. You could also get a case and a crank, then use your good parts to rebuild an engine.

This one is kinda cheap cause it leaks oil on a crack repair. I'd get it and epoxy/rtv the leak, but I prefer fast and functional over looks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CBR900-R...item2c58f0a9d2

Old 12-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Has your engine been taken apart to determine exactly whats wrong with it? It may be easier and cheaper to repair your engine plus you will know exactly the condition of the engine. Parts are easy to find on Ebay and other bike forums and will be much cheaper to ship than an entire engine.

Quick Reply: i whant to change my 929rr engine to 954 has anyone have done it?is it posible?