CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

has anyone seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 04:14 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: has anyone seen this?

in respone to the 'you can't dyno ram-air'

this is the link to an article saying how to do it, its a lil over my head, but hey that's not the point.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_9508_ram/

Old 04-14-2007, 04:24 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and for the lazy people like me, this is what it said.

RAM AIR: What's It Worth?
By Jon Doran
Photography: Kevin Wing , Jon Doran

Dealer Locator
Discount Pricing
Gift Subscription
Subscribe Now
Why are Kawasakis so damn fast? Anyone who's experienced the giggling hard-core buzz of a ZX's awesome acceleration from the pilot's seat comes away shaking his head in disbelief. Time after time the big K's machines run faster at the strip than rivals which put out notionally identical horsepower. So where do the extra horses come from? This is an account of the first attempt to scientifically measure the real effect of ram air. The results may surprise you.
WHO HAS IT?
The ZX-11, ZX-9R, later versions of the ZX-6 and ZX-7 and the new ZX-6R Ninja all utilize the ram-air system, and now Honda's latest CBR600F3 has followed along the same path-a sure sign that it works.
The difficulty is in measuring the effect, simulating the results of a 150-mph airflow, while the motorcycle is harnessed to a static dyno. But that is exactly what we set out to do with the help of Steve Burns, noted builder of very special turbocharged, trick-framed motorcycles, sometime dragracer, endurance-racing-team boss and the owner of a Dynojet Model 100 dyno. As an innocent patient we had one meticulously prepared Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja.
THE THEORY
In essence, the theory behind forced-induction systems like Kawasaki's is quite simple and not that far removed from turbocharging, just at a less extreme level. A motorcycle traveling at high speed is pushing a slug of pressurized air ahead of it. If an air inlet is placed in the correct place, then air entering the airbox will be at greater than atmospheric pressure. The resulting intake charge will be denser and cooler and contain more oxygen and fuel, thus causing a bigger bang and hence-Hallelujah!-more power.
There are limitations. The amount of mixture you can force through a motor is finite. Imagine strapping a ZX-9R on top of a jet aircraft and starting the motor; the plane will rapidly reach a velocity where the motor would be incapable of utilizing the volume of mixture being forced into it. Next, at very high speeds-over say 150 mph, where theory says that ram air should be working most effectively-the nature of air drag means that large increases in horsepower are needed to produce relatively small increases in speed. Finally, compared to a turbocharging system, the increases in pressure are quite low. How low? Before we began testing, Burns predicted, "I don't think we can get more than one psi in there."
THE ZX-9R SYSTEM
Kawasaki's ZX-9R uses a relatively straightforward system compared to the 1995 Honda CBR600F3. Twin vents mounted beneath the headlight channel air via ducts running over the frame beams and into a sealed airbox. Look closely, and you can see two smaller nozzles behind the grilles which connect to the carburetor float bowls. Their function is to equalize the pressure between float bowls and airbox; without them the higher pressure of the incoming charge would upset the carburetion, potentially blowing fuel out of the bowls and tending to push fuel back down the jets, causing mixture leanness. Kawasaki uses much the same system in all its ram-air machines, though the ZX-7 and earlier ZX-11s have a single inlet only.
MEASURING
To reproduce the effects of high-speed running on a static dyno, Burns' intention was to use a fan capable of producing relatively small volumes of air, but at high pressure. The fan was connected via custom-made tubing and coupling to the intake vents of the big Kawasaki. The joint was carefully sealed with high-density foam.
So we could measure the pressures generated in the airbox as we pumped air up the ZX-9R's nostrils, a manometer, or pressure gauge, was plumbed into it. With the manometer we would be able to measure pressure up to 30 millibars above atmospheric pressure. A bar is roughly equivalent to atmosp

Old 04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true i believe the 929 / 954 was really restricted the ram air thing is kind of a toss up becuase the intake intakes only so much so no matter how much air you have in front of the bike its useless if its not taken in and if somehow it gets in its useless if the psi on the injectors arent bumped up to where the bike has the proper fuel air mixture and if you lucky enough to get past that better have a damn good exhaust that FLOWS cause if the exhaust cant get out it aint yes AINT **** always research before you buy check out www.motorbikes.be i did and i seen the 929 and the 00-03 r1's made the same hp at the motor and the 929 made more than the zx 9at that point i realized the929 has more you just have to go get it alot of shops will tell you that the best is what they have to offer bs make them show you numbers they cant tell you whats best for you bike if they never done 1 ......ps i dont have the ram air but i do have an arata full system and pcIII r andthe bike dynoed at 148.8hp