has anyone seen this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default has anyone seen this?

I got this from www.hardracing.com

CBR929RR / CBR954RR

There are a lot of Myths out there about the CBR929RR. We are here, Not to Sell you anything or MAKE you believe us... Just to help inform all our fellow 929 owners some facts we have found regarding Honda's CBR929RR.

Were do we start.... Let's see -
Well, After thousands of phone calls regarding this question "What's the difference between the PCII/PCIII/PCIIIr??".... We decided to ad it to this page. Here is the deal with the Power Commander. A PCII for all OTHER bikes controls the Fuel Table and the Ignition Curve for a motorcycle. When DynoJet made a PC for the 929... it did NOT have the Ignition Curve Map built in. You could only control the Fuel Map. So, they called it a PCIII instead. There are some other little things that are unique to the PCIII... but, nothing to write about. The fact is it has always been a PCIII. They just didn't have the New PCIII Stickers for them at that time. Any Power Commander made for a 929 is a PCIII, regardless of what the sticker says.
Well, enough customers have called and argued with Dyno Jet, that they wanted the Ignition Curve control. So, Dyno Jet made another one called PCIIIr. Which not only controls the Fuel Curve.. But also the Ignition Curve as well. Retail - $399.95 And the other question is "What's the difference between DynoJet and K&N's PCII/III??" The answer is the Sticker. It's the same PC... only it has a large K&N logo and a Smaller DynoJet Logo. They are in a partnership to sell each others products.

Now, Back to the bike.
Honda did do a sweet job with the CBR929RR. The HTEV(Honda Titanium Exhaust Valve) and AirBox Flapper Valve do indeed make a nice smooth powerband. But, they do this by restricting the crap out of the bike. The Flapper Valve stays completely closed restricting air intake until 7000rpm. Even when it is fully opened it partially blocks the intake. The HTEV does change slightly at 3500 then at 7500rpm. Even at full throttle and High RPM's the HTEV is restricting Exhaust Flow. Honda is all about Low Emissions. Anyone who watches TV Commercials already knows this. That is why the CBR929 is only making 120-128 hp - in Stock Trim. Compared to the R1 and ZX-9R (130-136).. It's a little weak.
But, fear not most of it has to do with the Flapper valve and the HTEV. As we stated they greatly hinder the bike.
Back when the EXUP first came on the R1.. everyone thought "Don't take it Off"... " You will loose power.." Then Akrapovic made a sweet Full System that gave 10hp BOLT ON, even before the Jet Kit was installed. Good Midrange, and Excellent Top-End Power. That EXUP Myth was Shot out the window.

Now Honda has the HTEV and everyone thinks the same thing.

A few Exhaust Manufacturers came out with Full Systems very quick. They did indeed make More HorsePower on top, but had many dips below stock through out the low and Mid. And nearly all of them had to remove the headers pipes just to change the oil filter. Not to mention a few that came to close and melted the bodywork. A lot of this was due to the lack of R&D work. Everyone was on a scamper to have a Full System for the 929 on the Market as fast as possible.

Then last came Micron. They spent Many months on R&D, and came out with an Awesome System - 10-12 HP w/ Matching PCIII. The header pipes are routed around the oil filter for direct easy access. The end Caps are BOLTED on. No Cheap Metal band w/ pop rivets, which wind up vibrating loose and damaging the Canister. And of Course... Absolutely, HUGE Mid-Range and Top End HP Gains. NO Dips below stock ANYWHERE. THE HTEV theory was thrown out the WINDOW as well... Just not everyone Knows this YET.
And of course there is the weight thing. Yes, indeed the 929 comes with a Full TiTanium System. Well, that full

Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Retired Admin, January 2008 ROTM, Lord of Neon & L.E.D.s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: has anyone seen this?

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. Nice find.
LJ

Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM

With OUR - RAM AIR DUCTS(CBR954) and Full Micron Race w/ Matching PCIIIr... our bikes went from between 131-133 Hp to 148-151 Hp. Dyno tested RWHP.

go they have gotten up to 151 hp from a (im guessing) stock motor 929 (no spray)??????????????[sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

that was on the 954, and yes no spray!

the were saying that removing the flapper and htev would free up some hp and with a full exhaust and pc3 that is what you could expect!

Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM

good info,learn new stuff everyday...

Old 04-10-2007, 01:44 PM

With OUR - RAM AIR DUCTS (CBR929) and Full Micron Race w/ Matching PCIII... our bikes went from between 125-127 Hp to 144-145 Hp. Dyno tested RWHP.

my bad, i copied the wrong one. but even 145 hp sounds high to me. has anyone here ever have a ram airsetupon their 929s.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee

I've read some where of someone having them but they don't make them anymore.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not feasible to Dyno test ram air gains. You have to have a way to pressurize the intake which most dyno shops do not.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 PM

We sure do spend a lot of money for a small gain in power.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:20 AM

I've got them and they work! I installed the micron serpent and pcIII at the same time and the bike flew. Two weeks later I installed the ram system and there are defininte power gains at higher speeds. It's all based on my empirical opinions but I could really tell a difference... They were $89.99 (I think) when I bought them in 2002

https://cbrforum.com/m_157845/tm.htm