CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

General questions about the 929RR

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007 | 11:34 PM
Default RE: General questions about the 929RR

congrats on the 929. you'll love it!

others can chime in on the mods: my take for the non-bling mods is, in order:

+ tires (pirelli corsas seem to be the best choice)
+ steering damper (scotts, though almost any will do)
+ crash bung (sliders)
+ ART (advanced rider training) courses for you

after that it is up to your budget and type of riding. if you like doing long trips a cobin or sargents saddle make a Huge Difference. the stock saddle is great for fast riding up to about 2hrs, after that i find my bum suffering the corbin (ex-eBay) is great.

exhaust mods are pretty much audio bling unless you are going to replace the whole system. you will save a little in weight on a can, but these guys have so much go it is almost irrelevant. a PC3usb is seen as a good addition for any bike and helps to smooth out small throtle opening response.

other than that, get out and ride and the mods will come to you

have fun!

Old 08-02-2007 | 12:28 AM

Yes congrats on the deal. 2400 miles and always garaged, I'm jealous now! I'm not sure of the cheapest suppliers of aftermarket gear but some Googling around will probably answer that one for you. Here's a few suggestions and/or qualityvendors I'm familar with.

Steering damper:

Scotts is good http://www.scottsperformance.com/

I prefer the standard style myself though and have a Matris, very cool looking (made in Italy) and performs well.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...R--609157.html

Windscreen:

I've tried over a dozen types of screens on the 929 andthink the Puig Racing screen is the best for areodynamics and reducing wind buffeting, also very high quailty and the clear screenhas gradient black at the bottom with "CBR" logo unlike most aftermarket screens.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...R--606663.html

Exhausts:

You'll get several opinions on which exhausts are good beacuase there are several good ones out there, whatever you chooseif you're really looking for HP gains don't gofor justa slip-on, get a full pipe.

I have the Arata high-mount full Ti, picked up about 13 HP with mapping and the thing barely weighs anything at all. Exhaust note is sweet though quite loud in the upper RPM's.

http://www.arata-ex.com/html/pdf/honda/cbr929_954.pdf

Power Commander:

Dynojet, goes hand in hand with getting new exhaust system.

Fork Revalving:

Relativelyinexpensive way of really improving the front end feel and performanceof your stockforks. There's a guy named Dan Kyle out here in California who's the guru at this for 929's but I'm sure there are other sources. Looks like he's redesigning his web site right now but check http://www.kyleusa.com/. Pick his brain while you're at it, he was a former crew chief mechanic for Erion racing. He also sells Arata and Sato gearplus other stuff.

Gilles Tooling:

If youhaveany money left after getting the basics these guys have some cool German engineered products such as rear sets, precision rear wheel aligners and clip-ons with adjustable risers.

Enjoy your bike and keep the rubber side down!

Old 08-03-2007 | 12:10 AM

wow, i have to say i'm impressed with this forum. i'd joined some other forums before when i was riding the Katana, but nobody really seemed to give a damn, so thanks for all your responses and suggestions. i will definitely get out and ride the bike until i feel absolutely comfortable on it before i do ANY performance upgrades, but i know that i will eventually want to so i figured i'd ask, so thanks for the advice. first thing i'll probably do is fender eliminator (although it's just cosmetic, i really hate the factory rear fender), a steering damper, and i'll probably get a Puig screen depending on how the wind protection is when i get out and ride it.

just out of curiosity, do any of you know what the stock HP and torque figures are on the '01? i tried looking up some articles online with reviews and things like that, but i can't seem to find anything with these figures. i guess it doesn't really matter cause i know it'll be fast, but i'm just curious.

also, this is probably going to sound stupid, but when you say "929RR", do you say "nine two nine" or "nine twenty-nine"? i've heard different people say both, but i haven't been around sport bikes all that long so i really don't know what it's called.

Old 08-03-2007 | 12:21 AM

I say "nine two nine" as do all the folk around here. Then, we are Candians :-)

For the other: something like 152 hp at 11,500 rpm & 76 ft-lbs at 9000 rpm.
It is not quoted in the factory manual (unless I am blind again)

BTW, make sure you download a copy of the manual. Search back through the archive for the link.

Old 08-03-2007 | 12:25 AM

Eh, we're just in a good mood this week, we won't give a damn next week.

In my neck of the woods "nine-two-nine" is how most of us refer to it. Claimed HP by Honda at the crank is 150 but real world HP is around 127ish stock I would say.

There's still some reviews floating around on the net............

http://www.motorsports-network.com/H...00/929/929.htm
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...9rr-15165.html

Old 09-05-2008 | 04:32 AM

hi...im new in this forum...[:-]juz wants to know weather a cbrr1000 rectifire can be install on a cbr929 with some modification on it...[&o]i had a hard time searching for my ride (CBR929) rectifire...anyone please advice A.S.A.P....thanks

Old 09-06-2008 | 10:22 PM

don't know about the rectifier...

One thing you should do, even though it has low miles... (this is something you should do every 2 years... some people do it every year) GET THE FORKS DRAINED and NEW FORK OIL in them. Unless you're going to have new Race Tech or other fork springs put in very soon, get this done. Some shops will charge quite a bit for it, but very likely it's never been done by the original owner and really needs to be done.

Definitely do a 520 sprocket / chain conversion and get some frame sliders on there in case you drop it.

You won't be needing any power mods for a while if you're used to a Katana. In fact, just doing the 520 conversion will give it a good kick in the pants, especially if you go up a couple sprocket teeth in the rear.