CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions

Hi, again ..

First real ride on the 929 Erion today. About 3hrs of slow and twisty with some small
stretches of more open space. Mostly pretty rough roads, plus a short stretch of gravel.
Oh, and brand new BT-014s.

What an amazing bike. It is completely beyond my abilities at this stage, and probably
forever, unless I can get a -lot- of track time. Great suspension and a wonderfully
tractible motor that just keeps pulling. Directional stability is great, though I didn't try
too hard either (rider limit ). And I love the sound (it has a D&D bolt-on), even if
it is a little loud at times

Overall, a wonderful bike and I am very glad that I got it. Be fun to go out with my bud
and his 2001 VFR and compare the two back-to-back.

Downsides are the seat is a little wooden for my softy a** and my neck
is a little sore. I figure that both will go with a bit more riding under the wheels.
And the tires are not quite ready to go yet, they still feel a little skatey (only 100kms
or so on them).

Love it!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
Default RE: First impressions

Picked up my 00 929 Friday, went about 300km this weeked. Mine has well worn Michelin Pilot Powers they seem like they will stick to anything. But then my last bike was a 73 Suzuki T500. I've got the same 'comfort' problems you discribe, but since I'm like a kid at Christmas I hope to thoughen up soon, cause it'll be a hard job to pry me off this bike.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 AM

ORIGINAL: ratchetman
...my last bike was a 73 Suzuki T500.
Funny you should mention a Titan. I was just thinking about them tonight.
My first bike was a T250, though my first love was a cafe RD350. The
929 reminds me a little of it in some odd way, perhaps just in how docile,
yet willing and involving, the ride experience is.

Enjoy!

Old 04-30-2007, 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: mark5009

Hi, again ..

First real ride on the 929 Erion today. About 3hrs of slow and twisty with some small
stretches of more open space. Mostly pretty rough roads, plus a short stretch of gravel.
Oh, and brand new BT-014s.

What an amazing bike. It is completely beyond my abilities at this stage, and probably
forever, unless I can get a -lot- of track time. Great suspension and a wonderfully
tractible motor that just keeps pulling. Directional stability is great, though I didn't try
too hard either (rider limit ). And I love the sound (it has a D&D bolt-on), even if
it is a little loud at times

Overall, a wonderful bike and I am very glad that I got it. Be fun to go out with my bud
and his 2001 VFR and compare the two back-to-back.

Downsides are the seat is a little wooden for my softy a** and my neck
is a little sore. I figure that both will go with a bit more riding under the wheels.
And the tires are not quite ready to go yet, they still feel a little skatey (only 100kms
or so on them).

Love it!
The crappy seat will become comfy after about 10-20 rides. Two different types of bikes to try and compare. That VFR, given the right rider, could walk all over the RR in the twisties. But, switch, and forget it.

Make sure ya set up your suspension for your weight and such. If you've already done this, great. If you haven't you'll see a big difference. Run the preload a little stiff. The stock springs are good, but couple drops a fluid more and a quick turn in on the preload, and ya got a great combination. Go Showa suspensions. I know, it aint a WERKS or OHLINS, but hey. I don't have chicken strips on my tires and the suspension works just great.

A steering damper really sets this bike off. What a world of difference it makes. It doesn't matter if your setting it down at 110 from a sit down wheelie, cresting over an sweeping apex knoll, it take the head shake out of the front end once you get into upper part of the power band.