CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

concerning footpegs

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default concerning footpegs

i was checkin out a thread on here about rearsets, and one of the points made was that since most of those have footpegs that do not fold, that when the bike goes down the footpeg would hit and help minimize the damage.....now that has never occured to me and i like the idea of that alot since the 929 has no place for swingarm sliders. i do have frame sliders on my bike and am wondering if any of you fellow 929 owners out there have put not the rearsets but just the aftermarket footpegs you can buy (the ones that do not fold) on your bike and if they would hold up to a fall, slide, etc.. and help save the plastic and other places the folding footpegs would let get damaged.
seems like a good idea to me, to get a pair of the non-folding kind just for that reason.
whatya think?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Default RE: concerning footpegs

I dont think the pegs will hold up in a fall, I think it would just snap off leaving you nowhere to put your foot if you were to ride home after the drop. Another thing to think about is if you are into leaning the bike, they are meant to fold if you scrape it in a corner (I wear out a set of the peg feelers every season) i wouldnt want to feel what its like if it didnt fold in
If you want the added protection over sliders you can go with a "race rail" .. http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html

Old 02-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Yes, you did hear right. Aftermarket solid rearsets will help minimize crash damage. They MAY break off, but i have seen more times than not that they help by acting as a slider and do not break off. I have not seen an aftermarket one bust off yetpersonally, although I'm sure it DOES happen.
However, to go along with what NY said, aftermarket rearsets are a minumum of 1" back and 1"up (as a rule) there by allowing more cornering clearance so they do not need to fold up. Solid mounted standard settings MAY hit IF you are either damn fast or havepoor body position. If you are dragging the peg feelers it's time to get your **** off the seat and if you are STILL doing it, well.......you should probably apply for your AMA license. LOL. Take the damn things off. All the RR's have the longest peg feelers known to man.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:57 PM

ive had my 929 since 04 and i havnt scraped my pegs on it yet.....good rider but not super fast.......BE KIND!!!but i do have 14 years riding experience, and i live where mountain roads are everywhere.....just wish it would snow cause my snowboarding is suffering bad this year!!! anyway lol i am thinking more ofthe non folding footpegif the bike falls over or gets dumped at low speed kinda protection. i know at higher speed all bets are off cause the bikecould hit and see the peg as a pivot point, the bike could tumble and then it doesnt matter as everthing is gettin f@@$ked , etc... etc... but for the fallin over concern wouldnt ya think it would help? ive never ridden a bike with the non folding footpegs or one with rearsets so i dunno thats why i was hopin one of you would have experience with em.
seemed like a bright lightbulb when i thought of it lol
gettin dimmer now

Old 02-23-2008, 08:50 AM

i'm pretty sure the footpegs would just break off if the wieght of the bike is on top of a little piece of aluminum or titanium (whatever the pegs are made of) and it's scrapping down the road if it doesn't break right away from impact if it hits alittle hole or bump in the road it's going to break

Old 02-24-2008, 07:53 PM

not sure about the aftermarket pegs but i hit a dog this morning and went down and the stock peg broke off

Old 02-25-2008, 12:54 PM

OUCH! Don't mean to steal the thread, but hitting a dog sounds BAD!! How did everything come out??

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM

got a estimate today from the local bike shop just in parts im gonna fix it myself and it is $2791

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM

OUCH is right! that sucks man!
now see if u woulda had aftermarket pegs on it you coulda answered my question LOL
just pickin! how's the dog?

Old 02-26-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Shinken

OUCH is right! that sucks man!
now see if u woulda had aftermarket pegs on it you coulda answered my question LOL
just pickin! how's the dog?

i dont know it ran off it was a fairly good sized dog but i hope it crawled off in a hole and died a slow painfull death

Quick Reply: concerning footpegs